Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

groovydb

Stopping My Lantus..Maybe??

groovydb

I have had it with the weight gain. My A1C was 6.4 on Met alone when my Endo put me on 10 u of Lantus each morning. I also quit smoking. I have gained close to 15 lbs since January 1. I don't want to start smoking again, so I am considering going off the Lantus until I lose 10-15 lbs. My BG was under control but my Endo wanted me to eat a wider variety of foods, so she added the insulin. I dont need a wide variety of foods. I need to stop gaining weight. Any input?

aggie168

Hello goovydb, insulin by itself does not promote weight gain. Too much insulin means one have to "eat" to prevent going low. Hence, the most likely cause of weight gain. My suggestion is to work with your health care professional to perhaps lower your Lantus dosage if that is the reason. Also, your profile said you are a T1, as a T1, you must have injected insulin to live. So I am I a little at lost.

jenb

What foods does your Endo want you to eat? If it includes lots of starchy carbs, you may aready know the culprit in your weight gain.

Jen

foxl

Yes: 1) what are you eating?

2) could you, perhaps LOWER your Lantus 1- 2 units at a time, and see what happens to your BGs?

art

I can't believe I'm going to say this.

Talk to your Doc about Victoza.

For some people ( and I'm not one) it's a super way to keep control and lose weight.

Warning, it's expensive.

Art

groovydb

My Endo never specifically named a class of food she wanted me to eat more of. I mostly ate fruits, salads, some meats..that's about it. Not because of the diabetes, that's just really all I like. I know, I know...I am picky and like a small variety of food although I know it's not a well rounded diet, it worked for me. 10 units is a very small amount of insulin to start with but I still felt hungry all the time. I have been off of it for 1 week and I feel full after I eat with no hunger pains an hour later. My BG's are not through the roof. 141 after supper last night. Not bad...

groovydb

oh and also..I am still taking my 1500 mg of met every day. I am lucky enough to not have all of the horrible side effects I have read about.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.