Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

How far apart you you have your meals?

MrsMia

When I first started low carbing 2 years ago I never had a meal closer than 4 hours after the last one eaten. Since I've upped my fat more I find that I can go 5 to 6 hours between meals without eating. It seems like it takes that long (sometimes even longer) after a meal to become hungry again. What I wonder about is if my liver will start releasing glucose into my blood with an even longer time period between meals? I don't snack and probably never will because I just don't believe in snacking for myself. Do I need to be concerned about the liver releasing glucose? I know it tends to do it overnight when I let about about 12 hours go between the last meal I had and breakfast. I don't want a 'dawn phenomenon' type of release during the day.

samorgan

I think about 4 - 6 hours is about right for me when I'm doing it right. Sometimes I fall into snacking but ultimately I really don't like it. As for "need", I can easily go 10 or 12 hours without discomfort and do on occasion. As I recall, your diet is LC to the point of ketogenic, right? If so, your liver has little nothing to dump and you have very little need for glucose. Both are largely irrelevant.

Theoretically, if you are in ketosis, you don't need to eat at all unless you either need some protein for cell repair or your body fat drops to zero because your metabolism is fat-oriented and can use either ingested or stored fat for energy. Glucose is largely unnecessary and to the extent it is needed it can be manufactured from previously ingested protein.

Overall, eating ever 4 - 6 hours feels like a good "middle way" for me and I feel better if I avoid snacking - except maybe a cup of coffee with heavy cream but sometimes that "spoils" the next meal.

jwags

I usually wait 4-5 hours but will do random tests to make sure I don't get a liver dump. Sometimes I will snack on some cheese or nuts to prevent a liver dump. I tend to get more liver dumps in the late morning than any other time of day.

OldDawg

Can I piggy back on this question?? I have very erratic hours and sleepiing habits. When I am in Ketosis, I often just don't feel like eating. I can go long stretches between fuel stops. I used to be a non breakfast kind of guy, but over the last few years, made the effort. Now, I often putter for 3 or 4 hrs after getting up....So, if I am not Hungry, should I just not eat??...Shoud I at least try for a bit of fat and protient ( a spicy italian sausage and hard boiled egg) ASAP after getting out of bed??

Thanks,

Old Dawg, will learn new tricks, but it takes a while...

shyam
Can I piggy back on this question?? I have very erratic hours and sleepiing habits. When I am in Ketosis, I often just don't feel like eating. I can go long stretches between fuel stops. I used to be a non breakfast kind of guy, but over the last few years, made the effort. Now, I often putter for 3 or 4 hrs after getting up....So, if I am not Hungry, should I just not eat??...Shoud I at least try for a bit of fat and protient ( a spicy italian sausage and hard boiled egg) ASAP after getting out of bed??

Thanks,

Old Dawg, will learn new tricks, but it takes a while...

Best would be to let your meter give you the answers, since YMMV is very relevant.

xMenace

I now usually eat two meals a day. Lunch is around 11am and dinner around 8pm. I do snack though. In the mornings I usually have half a dozen brazil nuts and heavily creamed coffee. I often have a snack before bed.

I'm trying to tailor my carbs and protein around my insulin resistance. I have high IR in teh mornings (DP) and around typical dinner times.

MrsMia
I think about 4 - 6 hours is about right for me when I'm doing it right. Sometimes I fall into snacking but ultimately I really don't like it. As for "need", I can easily go 10 or 12 hours without discomfort and do on occasion. As I recall, your diet is LC to the point of ketogenic, right? If so, your liver has little nothing to dump and you have very little need for glucose. Both are largely irrelevant.

I definitely go between 10 and 12 hours every night from supper until breakfast the next morning. However it seems that I still have problems getting consistent numbers for my first reading in the morning when I wake up. Sometimes I will have numbers in the 90's for a stretch, seldom some numbers in the 80's, but most numbers over the last two years are still in the low 100's. Even a little green monster thrown in to the mix with a 111 or a completely random 114. Today and yesterday's number was 103. I don't think my diet is ketogenic if it means 20 carbs or fewer per day. But I am always in ketosis and the carbs are less than 40 per day. I think I could use some diet tweaking but I'm not sure where.

Theoretically, if you are in ketosis, you don't need to eat at all unless you either need some protein for cell repair or your body fat drops to zero because your metabolism is fat-oriented and can use either ingested or stored fat for energy. Glucose is largely unnecessary and to the extent it is needed it can be manufactured from previously ingested protein.

I'm definitely in ketosis. But my problem continues to be that morning number. If it is in the low hundreds and if I skip breakfast and I don't eat until lunch, the lowest it will drop is maybe to a 96 or 97. And that would be after not eating for 16 to 18 hours. I'm concerned that I have extra glucose my liver will continue to put out between meals that is disproportionate to what I actually need. Right now it seems to be releasing glucose during the 12 hours between supper and breakfast. I'm afraid it will go nuts doing the same between the other meals.

Overall, eating ever 4 - 6 hours feels like a good "middle way" for me and I feel better if I avoid snacking - except maybe a cup of coffee with heavy cream but sometimes that "spoils" the next meal.

4 to six hours feels good for me too. But most of the time I usually force myself to eat just to make sure I won't get the glucose release and not because I'm actually hungry. Fat and protein really is so filling.

MrsMia
I now usually eat two meals a day. Lunch is around 11am and dinner around 8pm. I do snack though. In the mornings I usually have half a dozen brazil nuts and heavily creamed coffee. I often have a snack before bed.

I'm trying to tailor my carbs and protein around my insulin resistance. I have high IR in teh mornings (DP) and around typical dinner times.

Most of the time I am not hungry in the morning. I would love to wait until lunch to eat and eat a later dinner. And honestly, I don't know if I have insulin resistance or not. I know I did. I've lost all the weight I can and still be healthy. Plus the endo told me that the effectiveness of metformin decreases as one becomes thinner. So I don't know what to think. If I still have insulin resistance after losing weight and taking the metformin I must do something else to overcome it. Presently, I do eat more carb light at breakfast. Maybe I should try doing the same at dinner?

jillybean

I must be doing something wrong because, despite eating high fat and low carb, I eat at least 5 times a day, sometimes 6-7 times. When will they make that magical ghrelin-reducing drug...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.