Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WantHealth

Question about low-carbing and weight loss

WantHealth

I'm stumped about my weight loss progress suddenly.

A few months ago, I wasn't low-carbing (but I was avoiding all the high fructose/refined white stuff) and I was losing weight pretty darn easily.

Then in January I had a hypoglycemic spell which caused me to realize I am pre-diabetic. Around the end of January I begin eating less carbs but not extreme low because I hadn't read up on the subject yet and was continuing with some things I thought were healthy yet still contained fairly significant carbs -- between end of January and end of February I was eating around 60 g of carbs per day, but still losing about 2 lbs per week.

Then in early March I switched to a very low carb diet -- I strive for less than 30 g per day. Occasionally I might have 40 g but some days I might also have 20 g. So I'm now at the point when I am having the least amount of carbs and it is now that my weight loss has halted. For the past 3 weeks I have not lost 1 single pound.

Do you find sodium to be a major factor? I have been occasionally looking toward convenience food lately, which I wasn't doing a month ago. Last weekend I went to a ballgame and ate two hot dogs (SANS THE BUNS OF COURSE!). And I also went to Wendy's and had a double cheeseburger (minus the bun and no ketchup). I have been eating out at restaurants more, but asking for different side dishes and continuing to avoid carbs completely (I'm pretty savvy and I know what to order at this point).

I'm at a loss as to why I'm not losing weight. It seems everyone else on the board loses weight so easily when they reduce carbs. I am suddenly stuck and not losing. And, to be honest, I've been pretty hungry.

Guidance would be appreciated! :)

samorgan

First of all, I think it is very normal to "plateau" once in a while regardless of weight loss method. Second, in the case of LC/HF it seems the reason is usually too much protein. I've heard that Dr. Bernstein usually recommends to his patients who encounter such doldrums to look to decreasing their protein consumption. Since C, P and F add up to "1", if you are already low-carb, decreasing protein has only one meaning: increasing fats.

I prefer to look at all three from the get-go instead of just focusing on carbs, so nothing "slips through".

I'm stumped about my weight loss progress suddenly.

A few months ago, I wasn't low-carbing (but I was avoiding all the high fructose/refined white stuff) and I was losing weight pretty darn easily.

Then in January I had a hypoglycemic spell which caused me to realize I am pre-diabetic. Around the end of January I begin eating less carbs but not extreme low because I hadn't read up on the subject yet and was continuing with some things I thought were healthy yet still contained fairly significant carbs -- between end of January and end of February I was eating around 60 g of carbs per day, but still losing about 2 lbs per week.

Then in early March I switched to a very low carb diet -- I strive for less than 30 g per day. Occasionally I might have 40 g but some days I might also have 20 g. So I'm now at the point when I am having the least amount of carbs and it is now that my weight loss has halted. For the past 3 weeks I have not lost 1 single pound.

Do you find sodium to be a major factor? I have been occasionally looking toward convenience food lately, which I wasn't doing a month ago. Last weekend I went to a ballgame and ate two hot dogs (SANS THE BUNS OF COURSE!). And I also went to Wendy's and had a double cheeseburger (minus the bun and no ketchup). I have been eating out at restaurants more, but asking for different side dishes and continuing to avoid carbs completely (I'm pretty savvy and I know what to order at this point).

I'm at a loss as to why I'm not losing weight. It seems everyone else on the board loses weight so easily when they reduce carbs. I am suddenly stuck and not losing. And, to be honest, I've been pretty hungry.

Guidance would be appreciated! :)

jwags

I used to be the queen of dieting. I would lose and then I would plateau for a year or so then start losing again. Since I was dx'd diabetic, I only do low carb. I alternate between very low carb -30 carbs per day and 50-75 carbs a day. To me it is more about bg rather than weight loss. Don't get me wrong I do like the weight loss that comes with LC/HF. I am more in a maintenance phase right now because I am below my goal weight. I do find sodium has a lot to do with it. Last summer I had a lot of problems with high bgs and leg swelling, so I am really watching my sodium. I used to eat a lot of deli meat and hot dogs. Now I have eliminated most processed food and bgs are a lot better.

WantHealth

Increasing Fat intake but decreasing Protein is hard for me to figure out. What exactly (besides butter and lard) is high fat but lower protein? I'm already eating a whole avocado about every other day...

What are some high fat/low protein options? Thanks in advance.

Todd G.

Bacon, spam, smoked pork jowls, fried fat back, tuna in oil, mayo, and coconut oil in everything. It's likely your calories have dropped and you're metabolism has slowed. Up your calories with fat.

jwags

Coconut Oil is my go to fat, now. You don't have to avoid protein, you just want more fat in your meal than protein. Things like Almonld butter, nuts, coconut oil, bacon and other fattier meats. I also try to buy the higher fat cheese, not the 1% kind. I spread coconut oil on my bran crackers in the morning, I fry my eggs and meats in CO, I even bake with CO. Check around on the internet and you will find thousands of uses for it. Some stir it into their morning coffee.

samorgan

Yes, it (protein) is indeed my biggest challenge in maintaining my balanced diet (which matches my metabolism), especially when eating out. I find no problems at all in keeping the carbs down even in restaurants and other people' houses, but proteins are difficult. My balanced diet means:

* twice as many grams of protein as carbs, and

* twice as many grams of fat as protein

This gives me completely normal BG - even during the times I get lazy and get very little exercise.

Trouble is, most sources of fat also come with protein. So, it's back to reading labels. Cheeses vary widely, for example and because of 40 years of fat-is-the-devil, most of them have an unfavorable fat:protein ratio going as low as a small fraction. On the other end, I just bought some "triple cream" cheese from Costco yesterday (made in France as are many of the best ones) with 23g of fat and 2g of protein per serving. So, picking the right cheeses can make a huge difference.

Finally, I need the 100% fat foods to maintain balance. These include heavy cream (NOT "heavy whipping cream" - it must have at least 6g of fat per tablespoon to be heavy cream), butter of course, coconut oil, olive oil and of course picking the richest cuts of beef like short ribs.

Lean meats throw me out of balance and it is difficult to compensate for them. I won't touch chicken breast normally. Legs and thighs, maybe. My wife baked a whole chicken for the family yesterday and THEY had to eat "skinless" because I pulled off most of the nice delicious, crispy skin and ate it first. I had my own dish, anyway, some fat-on beef pieces fried. Add a big pile of fresh string beans smothered in butter and a little lime and it was a delicious dinner. I slept in this morning 4 hours longer than usual and woke up with BG at 80.

If I eat too much protein or a few more carbs than usual, I DO have dawn phenomenon and sleeping in would mean it would creep UP during those extra hours. However, as long as I maintain my balanced diet, no such thing. Apparently, my liver just as nothing to "dump" no matter how confused the hormones might be.

Increasing Fat intake but decreasing Protein is hard for me to figure out. What exactly (besides butter and lard) is high fat but lower protein? I'm already eating a whole avocado about every other day...

What are some high fat/low protein options? Thanks in advance.

Daytona

When I first switched to LC/HF I had pretty good weight loss (for me) about 2 lb a week. Then it tapered off for no apparent reason and I started even gaining weight. I'm am still struggling to get it figured out. So it's definitely not this easy diet that everyone loses weight on.

I do know that I have been eating a low calorie diet (< 1200) for a long time and maybe that has affected my base metabolism. When I started LC/HF my total calories went up. After cutting back to my normal calorie numbers (same ratios) I starting losing a bit before plateauing again. I worry that I may have permanently stuck myself with having to eat too few calories (and being hungry).

I have no advice. Just chiming in that I completely understand your frustration!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.