Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

Burning dietary fat or body fat?

MrsMia

I have a few questions about burning fat on the low carb diet. If you are eating a low carb, higher fat diet, are you still burning your body's fat for energy or are you burning the extra dietary fat you are taking in? Or both? Is there a threshold we reach where we stop burning our own body's fat for energy and start burning dietary fat? Is that what we want? After you lose enough weight do you want to switch to burning dietary fat?

I remember reading in one of Johnny Bowden's books where he said that ketone strips are only useful in telling you if you are burning fat. But it doesn't tell you whether you are burning body fat (which would be ketosis, I think) or burning dietary fat. He said that a person can eat 10,000 calories in fat and it would show up on a ketone strip as burning fat so many people believe they are burning body fat but if they are eating a lot of dietary fat it doesn't mean that they are. He is speaking about those that are also eating low carb in addition to higher fat.

I don't believe a person eating higher dietary fat and higher carbs can get ketones to register on a strip so I'm not sure what the mix is that they are burning for fuel. I'm curious about this as I always register ketones. But I'm not sure if I'm burning body fat or dietary fat or a mix of both. My weight seems to be stable finally. So I must be burning something.

Joisey

My understanding is that you only burn stored body fat when the body doesn't get enough dietary fat. If it gets too much you store exra body fat.

That's why portion size is so important to weight loss. Ideally you would have low body fat and only eat what you can use to keep it low.

xMenace
My understanding is that you only burn stored body fat when the body doesn't get enough dietary fat. If it gets too much you store exra body fat.

That's why portion size is so important to weight loss. Ideally you would have low body fat and only eat what you can use to keep it low.

Maybe yes, maybe no, about the portion size.

Theoretically on a high fat low carb diet, and it seems to work in practice, we don't get as hungry so we eat less. I eat less calories than my body needs. I don't plan it that way; I just do. And yes I'm slowly losing weight. I'm probably burning both.

What happens when we eat 10,000 calories of fat? Obviously we won't burn much of our own, but we might. Do our cells use this fat? Do we store it without insulin? Will it accumulate in our arteries and drop us like a rag? I don't know. It seems to be a self regulating condition we don't have to worry much about.

Get that low-carb bit out of the way. Lowering insulin both lowers fat storage pressure and lets fat burn easier. Apparently it doesn't matter how much fat you consume. If you don't release the insulin and have sugar available for the glycerol portion of the triglycerides, you cannot store fat. There was a lady on CNN the other night that can't store fat at all. It doesn't matter what she eats. At 60 pounds, woman is unable to gain weight – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs One has to accept that mechanisms are at work here. Fat storage just doesn't happen because there's too much food in your system or this condition wouldn't exist.

samorgan

To the first question, I'm pretty sure the answer is "both".

As to being in ketosis and eating more fat than is needed for energy, I believe you BREATHE IT OUT as acetone.

Carbs above needs immediately become fat.

Fat above needs makes your breath smell funny.

BTW, don't forget that people in the "overweight" category as a group live longer than people in the "ideal weight" one!

I think the ideal weight is anywhere in say the first half of the "overweight" range. I'm right on the boundary right now and don't really want to lose any more.

Maybe yes, maybe no, about the portion size.

Theoretically on a high fat low carb diet, and it seems to work in practice, we don't get as hungry so we eat less. I eat less calories than my body needs. I don't plan it that way; I just do. And yes I'm slowly losing weight. I'm probably burning both.

What happens when we eat 10,000 calories of fat? Obviously we won't burn much of our own, but we might. Do our cells use this fat? Do we store it without insulin? Will it accumulate in our arteries and drop us like a rag? I don't know. It seems to be a self regulating condition we don't have to worry much about.

Get that low-carb bit out of the way. Lowering insulin both lowers fat storage pressure and lets fat burn easier. Apparently it doesn't matter how much fat you consume. If you don't release the insulin and have sugar available for the glycerol portion of the triglycerides, you cannot store fat. There was a lady on CNN the other night that can't store fat at all. It doesn't matter what she eats. At 60 pounds, woman is unable to gain weight – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs One has to accept that mechanisms are at work here. Fat storage just doesn't happen because there's too much food in your system or this condition wouldn't exist.

MrsMia

Thanks for the interesting replies everyone. One reason that I ask is I go for my yearly lipid panel and other blood work that the endo wants related to my diabetic condition in July and I'm hoping it turns out as good as last year if not better. One thing that has me thinking about is that since December I've managed to put on close to 6lbs. I remember I couldn't put weight on and kept losing and losing and it wasn't until I was diagnosed with my RA in November and began treatment that I started to gain back weight. I was told it was the RA that kept causing me to lose weight. Well, now that I've been putting some weight back on a horrible idea popped into my mind. What if my triglycerides go up because of this? Or my HDL comes down? I sure hope not as I haven't deviated from my low carb meals or not snacking in between.

jwags

I think it is a fine balance between the carbs, fat and protein you eat. When you find the right balance you lose weight and fat to a point. I am no longer losing weight , in fact I have put on about 6 pounds since the fall, but my bgs are a lot better. So that is the important thing for me. I think you know when you are losing body fat by the way your clothes fit. I lost weight in my chest , shoulders, belly. I actually lost some muslce too, which I am now trying to rebuild. As you lose fat you want to keep your muscle so it is important to do resistance exercise . I think some of my weight gain has been from rebuilding muslces.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.