Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subby

Ketogenic Daily Diet....

Subby

I'm interested in people's daily diet who are significantly low carbing, lc/hf'ing, ketogenic dieting, or whatever you might like to call those lower regions of carb consumption where you are aiming for and achieving (at least some of the time) a state of dietary ketosis.

We've all heard the arguments and haggling over definitions, over and over, that is not what this is about. If you can't fight the urge to have your say about the right terms or your own theories and why so and so is doing it wrong or what a real ketogenic diet should look like, please simply provide a link to another thread. I'm asking nicely with stevia on top. We get the general gist, this is just about some real world experience.

This is intended in the style of http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/dieting-and-nutrition-diabetes/39716-low-carb-daily-diet.html - when it is behaving that is. That thread has a range of low carb interpretations, and in my opinion is very useful in its own right. If you feel compelled to add but you're not really ultra low carb or heading for ketogenesis, please post on that thread. But here I'd like to see some of the more dedicated or extreme examples of daily food intake. Thanks.

xMenace

A typical day:

7am: 6 Brazil Nuts (1.5g)

8am: Coffee 3 cream (1.5g)

10:30am: large package of grass-fed pepperoni, Coffee 3 cream (1.5g)

1pm: Coffee 3 cream (1.5g)

6-8pm: Grass-fed burger plus 2 of onion, mushroom, or asparagus fried slowly in 2tbsp EVOO and 2tbsp butter (4-8g) Often dip into the nuts as it cooks (1.5g)

8-10pm: 1 cup balkan yogurt (11g), Raw milk cheese (1.0g), red wine (1.0)

No idea what the calorie count is. I'm guessing on most of the carbs. I've been in ketosis almost all of this year, a couple days were negative. I test 2-3x a week.

MCS

I show a trace of Ketones most of the time when I check, on the high side if I am exercising.

A typical day and sorry I do not have the carb counts, just do not count them.

breakfast: 3-4 eggs, peppers, onions, mushrooms, breakfast meat

Lunch: Nuts, cheese, or dinner left overs

Dinner: I eat about a 1-2lbs of veggies and meat. None of the veggies are of a starchy nature. Funny I go by weight not calories, takes a lot to fill me up at times.

Snacks: Cheese, nuts, slim jims, every 1-2 hrs of the day.

MrsMia

breakfast:

2 whole eggs or 4 egg whites omelet fried in butter with mushrooms and cheese

3 brazil nuts or sugar free gelatin with homemade whipped cream

lunch:

1 turkey drumstick or 2 chicken drumsticks or leftover meat from dinner the night before

asparagus or salad with cucumbers, guacamole, sour cream and salsa

1 oz. unsweetened dark chocolate melted with liquid splenda added and drizzled over more homemade whipped cream (I have a heavy cream addiction :))

dinner:

Whatever meat I'm making for supper. Tonight I'm have a chuck roast and sour cream

steamed cauliflower or asparagus with butter on top

3 brazil nuts or 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter

sugar free gelatin with whipped cream ( I told you:D)

Lots of purified water and diet coke and diet sierra mist all day

That is it. No snacking between meals as I'm too full from what I eat. But if I am hungry I know that my next meal is only a few hours away so that keeps me from eating more.

samorgan

Breakfast:

2 eggs over easy in coconut oil

1 double espresso with 1 tbsp coconut oil, 3-4 tbsp heavy cream and stevia

1 slice low-carb bread with:

generous amount of butter

speadable heavy cream (nice layer)

almond butter

6-8 kalamata olives

1 cubic inch high-fat cheese

Typical lunch or dinner

High-fat beef (e.g., short rib, flank steak, etc.) approx 1/3 lb.

Green vegetable (string beans, broccoli, etc) about 1 cup with

2 or more pats of butter

squeeze of lemon or lime

Low-carb yogurt type drink, 8oz (2g carbs)

Add some high-fat cheese if meat not really high fat like chicken, etc.

Daytona

Breakfast

4 strips of thick bacon

or

2 eggs

1 tbsp butter

1/2 oz cheddar

Lunch

Lobster Bisque

Afternoon Snack

10 almonds

Dinner

Ribeye

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp butter

Evening Snack

Sugar Free Jello with heavy cream

I love my diet! :D

jwags

7:30 am - coffee black , 2 or 3 cheese sticks, a handful of walnuts

10:30-11 - low carb pancakes or waffles or 2 scrambled eggs with veggies, coconut oil

2-3 - 2 slices Eziekel sprouted grain bread with coconut oil, almond butter and Walden Farms Jam

5 pm - more nuts or cheese sticks

7:30 pm- dinner usually grass fed burgers, beef stew, or free range chicken, veggies and salad

If I need an additional snack or if I am working out I will usually eat an Atkins bar - my only processed food.

Todd G.

Wake up: Wasabi almonds, maybe 25 pieces

Breakfast: 3-4 eggs with cheese and 6 slices of bacon, water

AM Break: Decaf coffee with 1 tbsp coconut oil

Lunch: Salad with blue cheese dressing

couple of veggies llike turnip greens, green beans, broccoli or cauliflower

Spam or roasted chicken

Cream cheese

PM Break: Decaf coffee with coconut oil and more almonds or cheese

Dinner: Fatty meat of some type, maybe buffalo wings, usually another salad with blue cheese, celery, etc.

Nite break if I want it: Decaf coffee with coconut oil, celery with blue cheese dressing and/or pimento cheese (homemade-store bought has sugar), maybe nuts or pepperoni slices

JoMac53

7am Breakfast (breakfast never varies for me)

1/2 oz Spam (I eat this while I'm making the omelette)

1 egg omelette w/1 slice American cheese, cooked in coconut oil

2 coffees w/~ 1 tsp heavy cream each (trying to get used to adding some coconut oil but don't like it)

11:00 Typical Lunch

Hamburger patty w/1 slice American cheese (made from 1/4 lb 80% ground beef ) OR 1/4 can tuna w/~2 Tblsp mayo OR 1/2 cup full fat collage cheese

Large lettuce wedge, 5 or 6 'baby' carrots, 1/2 cucumber OR 1/2 cup cooked cauliflower or other low carb cooked veggies, occasionally 1/2 slice 'lite' rye bread (~6g carbs)

3:00 Snack

Cheese, meat, nuts, raw low-carb veggies w/butter, whatever's in the house.

Sometimes 6 All-Bran Multi-Grain crackers with cream cheese

7 pm Dinner

Meat, low carb cooked veggies w/butter, tossed salad, occasionally 1/2 slice 'lite' rye bread (~6g carbs) but not if I had it at lunch

7-12pm Evening snack (I've always been an evening snacker and can't break the habit so have to plan it in)

Something high fat...nuts or cheese or whipped cream with a few sliced strawberries

Have begun adding 2-3 oz red wine (more than that makes my bg go too low for comfort)

Right before bed

1 square dark chocolate

If I go more than 4 or 5 hours without eating, my bg goes below 70 and I feel uncomfortable

Other than coffee or tea w/cream I only drink water, unsweetened iced tea, and flavored seltzer water

I haven't added up the nutrients lately but show ketones every time I test. I'm losing a little over 10 lbs a month and don't know if that makes a difference.

I have a very low income and this is the best I can do for now. I would love to buy steak & other good cuts of grass fed beef but I'd have to give up test strips to do it so it's a balancing act.

xMenace

April 18

8am coffee 3 cream

10:30am package of pepperoni

1pm coffee 3 cream

6pm loose sausage and 2 eggs fried in evvoo/butter, hand full of brazil nuts, small sweet red pepper

8pm raw milk gouda and white wine and bowl of frozen mixed berries/fruit

10pm I splurged on a small pot of popcorn loaded with unsalted butter and salt while i watched some hockey.

(50-60g carbs for the day)

Subby

Thanks guys. John, do you find the coffee is enough to break your fast - or do you not have fasting/dumping issues within that time frame? What kind of size pepperoni package are you talking there? And what is your basal total these days, if you don't mind sharing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.