Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsMia

Can we talk about lab tests?

MrsMia

Specifically creatinine and bun ratio? (I'm not even sure what that is) When I was first diagnosed 2 years ago my creatinine measured .61 and my BUN/creatinine ratio was 16. Shortly after the diagnosis I started low carbing. Ever since then my creatinine and BUN/ratio comes back flagged in every single test. The latest test from lab work I had done on April 6th came back as .3 for creatinine and 33.3 for the BUN/creatinine ratio. I was told awhile back from a few people at the board that those numbers reflected eating low carb. None of my doctors have ever mentioned anything being out of whack with them even though they are flagged all the time. I'm set to have more blood work in two weeks (checking medicine side affects) and sure enough, there is another creatinine test ordered in there. Yet nobody even mentions it. Does this seem like something to be concerned about? Any other low carbers here have similar lab results with creatinine and BUN/creatinine ratio?

princesslinda

From what I see from doing dictation, if we have patients' who have higher than normal ratios on blood work, our docs will generally set them up for a 24 hr urine for creatinine clearance, to make sure the kidneys are working properly. If the creatinine clearance is abnormal, they will then be referred to a nephrologist.

Apparently a lot of factors can elevate the ratio, things like dehydration, GI bleeds, increased protein in the diet and liver disease to name a few.

MrsMia
From what I see from doing dictation, if we have patients' who have higher than normal ratios on blood work, our docs will generally set them up for a 24 hr urine for creatinine clearance, to make sure the kidneys are working properly. If the creatinine clearance is abnormal, they will then be referred to a nephrologist.

Apparently a lot of factors can elevate the ratio, things like dehydration, GI bleeds, increased protein in the diet and liver disease to name a few.

Thanks, Linda. I think it was the increased protein that a few mentioned at the board that was the probable reason. I know that other tests are done such as liver function tests and GFR tests and those so far have come back pretty normal. So perhaps because all those other tests are normal that that is the reason they never mention the flagged tests. I don't know. I guess no news is probably good news.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.