Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

Interesting article on gut flora ...

foxl

As with blood, several types of human gut - Yahoo! News

I wish they would run a comparison based on DIET ... but my "gut" feeling is, the Type 1's (not diabetes type, gut flora type!) would probably hit the high-starch or high sugar category ...

I found this quote in particular to be promising information ... "Looking at the genes of the microbiota tells us with much greater precision than looking at the genes of the individual if someone is obese or not," he told AFP.

Now, mightn't that substantiate one side or the other of the macronutrient debate?

MCS

The point he made about being able to change the bacterial flora in ones life time, contradicts his original statement that the types of bacteria there are there because of the environment. You change the environment you change the bacteria. I think this happens at a much faster rate once you change your eating habits. You change the food source, therefor change the environment, different bacteria begin to take over. Right now I got a Virus in my system thats been wanting out for 16 hrs now, and has manged to do so quite frequently earlier today.

jwags

I have always thought bacteria in the gut has something to do with diabetes. The whole concept of "leaky gut" producing hormones that increase inflammation. I do think this is where diet comes into play. I find when I eat a fairly non processed clean diet my bgs stay pretty normal. The minute I add processed food or chemicals back in my bgs go up. For me switching to meats without added hormones or antibiotics really has cleaned up my bgs. I was never one who spiked at meals but at other times. So maybe the kind of bacteria does play a role in blood sugar.

foxl

I definitely think I (deliberately! IIIIDIOT!) changed mine over a period of years. As a picky vegetarian, I really only began cooking with beans in ohhhh, my mid-20's. And they did fearsome and foul things to the atmosphere!

But then, gradually, over time, the air cleared ... and perhaps that was when I became SO DARN efficient in digesting carbs? And maybe the beans and gut flora explain WHY I had no family history of D ... maybe I went boldly, where no ancestors had gone before? Not T2, though I clearly have got some IR going. And maybe without the IR, I would never have been diagnosed ... who knows?

jwags

I do eat beans, but in very small amounts and not very often. I think there are foods in nature like grains and beans that have outer coating that make them difficult to digest in the gut. I do think this is why people have problems with grains and beans.

jillybean

They make no mention of taking a probiotic supplement - I wonder how that affects things, or, rather, if it's enough to affect things. I take a pretty strong probiotic daily.

samorgan

Question: why is it called gut "flora" and not gut "fauna". I thought flora meant plant life and fauna meant animal life. Bacteria are not plants. ??

diaboki
They make no mention of taking a probiotic supplement - I wonder how that affects things, or, rather, if it's enough to affect things. I take a pretty strong probiotic daily.

Jilly, which one do you take?

MCS

I did a lot reading on gut flora when first Dxed and determined that it was significantly important. I had all the signs of having the wrong bacteria growing in my gut. Constant constipation, acid reflux, slow digestion, etc. After reading research papers on resistant starch and how it changes the type of bacteria in your gut I began to consume it at a rate of 40g per day. I also consume several different types of fibers, flaxseed, psylium, whole flaxseed, etc. I wanted to kill off the bacteria I had that were responsible for elevated carb digestion and replace them with bacteria associated with creating short chain fatty acids an energy source your body can use with out raising your BG level. What happened was a drop in my PP numbers and very few instances of unexplained elevated BG levels.

The articles on gut bacteria transplants are really interesting. Our bodies are constantly covered with bacteria inside and out, we can't live with out them, but I think you can promote and provide an environment for growing the ones most beneficial to being healthy.

Thats my $0.02 worth

WantHealth
I did a lot reading on gut flora when first Dxed and determined that it was significantly important. I had all the signs of having the wrong bacteria growing in my gut. Constant constipation, acid reflux, slow digestion, etc. After reading research papers on resistant starch and how it changes the type of bacteria in your gut I began to consume it at a rate of 40g per day. I also consume several different types of fibers, flaxseed, psylium, whole flaxseed, etc. I wanted to kill off the bacteria I had that were responsible for elevated carb digestion and replace them with bacteria associated with creating short chain fatty acids an energy source your body can use with out raising your BG level. What happened was a drop in my PP numbers and very few instances of unexplained elevated BG levels.

The articles on gut bacteria transplants are really interesting. Our bodies are constantly covered with bacteria inside and out, we can't live with out them, but I think you can promote and provide an environment for growing the ones most beneficial to being healthy.

Thats my $0.02 worth

Dear MCS:

What probiotic or type of supplement did you or are you taking? I just started taking probiotics after taking antibiotics for a urinary tract infection and would like to take the "right one" long term for diabetes support.

Thank you.

Abby

Cormac_Doyle
Question: why is it called gut "flora" and not gut "fauna". I thought flora meant plant life and fauna meant animal life. Bacteria are not plants. ??

Flora vs Fauna ??

Bacteria are technically "Prokaryotes" - they do not have "true" cells like the higher order "Eukaryotes". Eukaryotes - even the single celled ones - are further subdivided into flora and fauna. Yeasts and the like are flora. The disease-causing monocytes (Malaria) are Fauna.

Technically it is incorrect to refer to bacteria as "flora" or "fauna", but in broad terms they are closer to being flora (more specifically, they are less "fauna" than they are "flora") ... and since in many parts of the body it is a combination of bacteria and yeasts, it makes most sense to talk about the "flora" of your skin, or gut, or wherever.

MCS

Originally I took 40g of the High Maize 260 resistant starch and ground flaxseed every day for 2 weeks. I now take the ground flaxseed daily 30-40g and the resistant starch periodically. I was taking the PB-8 I think they were called.

Dear MCS:

What probiotic or type of supplement did you or are you taking? I just started taking probiotics after taking antibiotics for a urinary tract infection and would like to take the "right one" long term for diabetes support.

Thank you.

Abby

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.