Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xMenace

Jimmy Moore Interview

NickP

I listen to all of Jimmy's Podcasts. Jimmy puts out a low carb podcast twice a week, called "Livin La Vida Low Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" He has great names in the low carb community including Gary Taubes, Eric Westman, Dr. Bernstein etc.

Interviewing Doctors, Researchers, Scientists, Bloggers and More. | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

He is currently at Episode 486...so that's alot information available for free. You can download onto your computer, or go to the iTunes store and put it on your iPod for free!

He is a great advocate for the low carb community. Everyone should be his fan!!!!

Please.....give him a listen!

Daytona

In the interview he mentioned that he recently did a 7 day fast. Sometimes I fast for 1/2 day but that is pretty long. How do you all feel about fasting?

gettingby

I read about his fast. I also have another LC/NC guy that I follow who is currently undergoing a 7 day fast. If anyone would like the link, it's in my sig. :) BTW, he's a primal eater.

samorgan

I love fasting. I do about 2 hours before sunrise until sunset - no food or drink. I do it every year for a month for religious reasons and at other times voluntarily. Great for the BG. I usually hit 73 by the end of the day and feel great. I've been doing it for 35 years and it suddenly got much easier after I switched to LC/HF.

In the interview he mentioned that he recently did a 7 day fast. Sometimes I fast for 1/2 day but that is pretty long. How do you all feel about fasting?

Todd G.
I love fasting. I do about 2 hours before sunrise until sunset - no food or drink. I do it every year for a month for religious reasons and at other times voluntarily. Great for the BG. I usually hit 73 by the end of the day and feel great. I've been doing it for 35 years and it suddenly got much easier after I switched to LC/HF.

Well, if you don't get up until about noon, that isn't soo bad. :)

But other than religious reasons, I can't see going seven days without food. It slows down your metabolism too much, and you'll waste muscle in the process.

samorgan

I agree. The 18 hour one is definitely beneficial on lots of levels but I don't think 7 straight days would be a good idea. I also have my doubts about "fasting" where on still drinks water or even other liquids. It is very different and I don't think it has the same good effects. In fact, my religion while encouraging the one I described prohibits continuing the fast from one day to the next.

Well, if you don't get up until about noon, that isn't soo bad. :)

But other than religious reasons, I can't see going seven days without food. It slows down your metabolism too much, and you'll waste muscle in the process.

Todd G.
I agree. The 18 hour one is definitely beneficial on lots of levels but I don't think 7 straight days would be a good idea. I also have my doubts about "fasting" where on still drinks water or even other liquids. It is very different and I don't think it has the same good effects. In fact, my religion while encouraging the one I described prohibits continuing the fast from one day to the next.

I went to the Diabetes Warrior site and his fast was actually a "fat fast" because he ate coconut oil and ghee, so it wasn't as bad for muscle wasting as it could have been if his caloric needs were being met. His BG was impressive too.

What good effects are you thinking of with a total fast? Physical or spiritual? I've never given it much thought, but I only think of bad effects when I think about fasting. Am I missing something?

samorgan

Well, definitely spiritual, but I've been doing it for one lunar month per year (29 or 30 days) since 1973, soon to be 40 years, and I find a lot of physical benefits, too, just "anecdotal", of course. My personal experience is that fasting while drinking liquids only really produces hunger. Your body is still expecting incoming calories, just not getting any. Admittedly subjective, but I feel there is some kind of very healthy "shutdown" with the total fast which is quite different and very beneficial. Drinking liquids just confuses things.

Prior to diabetes and LC/HF I usually lost at least 10 pounds during each years fast and only put it back very slowly, maybe a few months before the next one. More impressive was how my body dealt with hydration. During and immediately after the fasting month, my body became very strong at maintaining water balance in spite of very different "inputs". Normally, I would drink quite a bit during the night but none during the day while fasting. This benefit lasted for months afterward. By the next year, it would have degraded a lot and I would be back to "normal" - much more sensitive to variations. So, for example if I didn't drink enough water I might experience headaches and the like where I wouldn't have previously.

Of course headaches or any other symptoms because of missing a meal are totally a thing of the past with LC/HF. The annual fast is also much easier than it used to be when I was eating SAD.

"Fat fast" sound great. This is my second time to hear about it. Perhaps I'll try it. A few mornings recently, I wanted to reduce "eating when not hungry" (my normal breakfast, but I'm a STRONG believer in breakfast), and so I only had my coffee with coconut oil and heavy cream until lunch 6 hours later. I felt really, really good doing that and still do it some mornings. But, I do love those eggs in the morning, too!

I went to the Diabetes Warrior site and his fast was actually a "fat fast" because he ate coconut oil and ghee, so it wasn't as bad for muscle wasting as it could have been if his caloric needs were being met. His BG was impressive too.

What good effects are you thinking of with a total fast? Physical or spiritual? I've never given it much thought, but I only think of bad effects when I think about fasting. Am I missing something?

NickP

I think Jimmy did for a couple of reasons. One was for the exerperience. Another was to based upon the advice of our his guests he intereview. This doctor stated that a week long fast was healthy for the body and helped the body get rid of cancer cells, reducing the risk of cancer.

Jimmy is such a great guy and inspiration to me! You can read his own analysis here on his website....check it out!

My Thoughts And Analysis About My First-Ever One-Week Fasting Experience « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Todd G.
Another was to based upon the advice of our his guests he intereview. This doctor stated that a week long fast was healthy for the body and helped the body get rid of cancer cells, reducing the risk of cancer.

Okay Nick, you might have lost me here. I've got a great chiropractor that thinks magnets cure arthritis and that proper adjustments can cure cancer/diabetes/etc, but I'm really, really skeptical. Really.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.