Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gphx

Low Carb High Fat with emphasis on high fat

gphx

Research on the mouse model of diabetes discovered a hormone, Adiponectin, in the fat of healthy mice. This hormone in normal fat protects healthy mice from insulin resistance. The more fat they have the more protective hormone. Other mice have a genetic defect causing this hormone not to be produced correctly. In their case the opposite was true, the more fat the more insulin resistance. The insulin resistance was corrected by introducing Adiponectin and Leptin. If the model applies in some humans too we might say a genetic lack of Adiponectin in fat causes insulin resistance. Insulin resistance causes more fat which causes more insulin resistance. The escalating cascade either causes or aggravates existing diabetic tendencies. This could explain very well why some people are obese and experience no problems with diabetes whereas others can quickly go from apparently healthy and slender to obese and diabetic in a rapidly increasing downward spiral. If true the fat didn't cause it, the lack of a hormone did, and the lack of a hormone causes the proliferation of fat through the mechanism of increased insulin resistance:

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v7/n8/abs/nm0801_941.html

Makes me wonder too if those who see improvement in IR and bg on a low carb high fat diet are inadvertantly eating corrective doses of the missing fat hormone in the process of eating high fat...

jillybean

I find this EXTREMELY interesting and a possible explanation as to why I was diagnosed with type 2 at age 25 while my cousin (whose mother is also type 2) is 5 years older than me and has ALWAYS weighed more than me, yet her glucose levels have maintained complete normalcy (her mother even randomly spot-checks my cousin's glucose levels with her own meter because she can't believe she doesn't have a single symptom of diabetes).

SusanMatt

Isn't it possible your cousin just didn't inherit the gene for diabetes, especially if her father is not diabetic?

A1C
I find this EXTREMELY interesting and a possible explanation as to why I was diagnosed with type 2 at age 25 while my cousin (whose mother is also type 2) is 5 years older than me and has ALWAYS weighed more than me, yet her glucose levels have maintained complete normalcy (her mother even randomly spot-checks my cousin's glucose levels with her own meter because she can't believe she doesn't have a single symptom of diabetes).
I don't understand the scientific mumbo jumbo of that article, however I have noticed that when I eat a low carb diet that mostly consist of meat, I gain body fat/weight, however my BGL are lower. Sometimes readings in the 60's in the evenings.

samorgan

I have found my "personal" answer anyway to this question of losing/gaining weight on a LC/HF diet which normalizes BG. Generally, I just lose weight slowly on this diet which so far is still a good thing (I can spare maybe 10 more), but recently went through a period of gaining some, now reversed. I gain weight if:

1) Protein increases over my desired amount without any change in carbs. My diet is: twice as many grams of protein as carbs and twice as many grams of fat as protein. Carbs are easy to maintain, but sometimes it is challenging to maintain fat:protein at 2:1 since many fat sources also come with protein - especially when eating outside of the house.

2) Eating when not hungry. When embarking on LC/HF, it is typical to find the joyful situation that you can eat to full satiation without denying yourself anything while maintaining normal BG and ideal weight. This continues to be true, but you can "adjust" to this new lack of hunger and just eat sometimes because it is "meal time" or snack because you have the jar of mixed nuts in your drawer at work without actually being "hungry" or having any real need for food. I have to remind myself what hunger really feels like from back when I was eating SAD. Although that gnawing high-carb hunger is completely a thing of the past, I had to learn how to gauge the new "hunger" (much "lighter" version) and remember not to eat until I feel it - even if that means skipping a meal entirely.

So, if you need to gain some weight on LC/HF, there are alternatives to increasing carbs which might have negative effects on BG and your diabetes generally. Instead, try increasing protein somewhat and also do some more snacking on things like nuts, celery with peanut butter, cheese, etc. between meals. Doing the opposite of each of those is what got me back on track slowly losing a little more weight. If the last 10 goes I, too, will need to reverse the trend and stop losing weight. These last few weeks have reassured me that this is possible.

jillybean

I personally think there's way more to it than just inheriting or not inheriting "the gene." If it were that simple, then type 2 diagnoses wouldn't be on the rise; they would be more consistent. Both of my parents have type 2 now, but my sister doesn't. She didn't even have gestational diabetes while pregnant, even though she's overweight. She's still overweight now (her baby is 4 years old) and is 5 years older than me, but still no signs of diabetes. I think genetics plays a role, but it's not a solo performance.

sweetstar

Nobody in my family was diagnosed with diabetes, although my grandfather may have had it. No one knew for sure.

I did not have gestational diabetes either. However my babies were quite large, 11lbs. 2oz and 9lbs. 2 oz.

I believe my D was brought on by lifestyle and diet. I have always been sedintary and ate anything I wanted. I have struggled with weight since I hit puberty.

Just my experience.

georgepds

Makes me wonder too if those who see improvement in IR and bg on a low carb high fat diet are inadvertantly eating corrective doses of the missing fat hormone in the process of eating high fat...

Does Adiponectin survive digestion? With other hormones, such as that in Byetta, the reason we inject, rather than eat them, is if we ate them they would be digested in the gut and never reach the blood stream

Anyone know?

georgepds

It is probably digested and does not reach the blood stream, it's too long a protein. From Wikipedia , "Adiponectin is a 244-amino-acid-long polypeptide."

"Berberine, an herbal folk medicine, has been shown to increase adiponectin expression[18] which partly explains its beneficial effects on metabolic disturbances"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2788178/?tool=pmcentrez

There are lots of people willing to sell you bereberine if you want to try out its effects on adiponectin

Todd G.

I've looked everywhere for something to break up the monotony of the high fat meats have readily available to me, namely SPAM, bacon, pork shoulder, 70/30 ground beef, and a few others. I've been thinking about trapping some nutria, but I think they're pretty lean. Now here's another one off the list too, even though it is supposed to be pretty fatty once you skin it. Oh well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/health/28leprosy.html

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.