Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jillybean

Anyone use inulin powder?

jillybean

I'm trying to cut artificial sweeteners and stevia out of my diet but till stay low in net carbs. Has anyone used inulin powder as a sugar replacement? If so, I'd love to hear what you think of it. I've got it in my "cart" on Netrition but am afraid to purchse without hearing others' experiences!

jwags

I used to use one of Metamuscil's products called Clear and Natural. It was made with inulin. You could stir it into anything hot or cold. I used it more as a fiber supplement but it did have a sweet taste. It is what a lot of food manufacturers add to their food to get fiber.

ShottleBop

Shortly after diagnosis, I'd buy it as a fiber supplement. It has a very mild sweetness to it. Tasted fine in cocoa made with unsweetened cocoa powder, hot water, and inulin.

jillybean
Holy Cow! Never heard of it as a sweetner. Like Exhubera?

Google says Exhubera is insulin - I'm talking inulin (no "s").

Todd G.

Why are you cutting out Stevia? Bad taste? Cost? Found out it causes you to grow a third arm out of your back? Just curious.

jillybean
Why are you cutting out Stevia? Bad taste? Cost? Found out it causes you to grow a third arm out of your back? Just curious.

There are some sources that say stevia can have an effect on hormones, so I don't want to take any chances while pregnant (my husband and I are going to start "trying" in July, so I'm preparing!).

jwags

It has a lot of fiber in it. I think it is made from chichory roots or something like that. So be careful not to use too much, otherwise you could get cramping or a lot of gas. I would check with your doctor about using it when you are pregnant.

Todd G.
There are some sources that say stevia can have an effect on hormones, so I don't want to take any chances while pregnant (my husband and I are going to start "trying" in July, so I'm preparing!).

Interesting. Good luck on the baby thing. You should get in as much practice as possible before you actually start "trying". Keep the husband away from soy.

Mich

Hi Jill. DUH! I guess after so long with diabetes, I just read everything as inSulin!

I have heard good things from friends about metamucil's effects on lowering LDL and triglycerides, by the way. From someone who was only trying to fix stomach problems and didn't otherwise change her diet. I keep it on my list of things to try one of these days.

I look forward to your experiment with inulin. Keep us posted.

Mich

jillybean
Hi Jill. DUH! I guess after so long with diabetes, I just read everything as inSulin!

Hey, even GOOGLE mixes them up! I have done searches on "inulin" where I get results that highlight both insulin and insulin. You'd think Google would be a bit pickier about precise spelling :P

ShottleBop
It has a lot of fiber in it. I think it is made from chichory roots or something like that. So be careful not to use too much, otherwise you could get cramping or a lot of gas. I would check with your doctor about using it when you are pregnant.

Happens every time I try a QuestBar (low-carb bar with about 15 grams of inulin). I had to give them to my son.

ShottleBop
I'm trying to cut artificial sweeteners and stevia out of my diet but till stay low in net carbs. Has anyone used inulin powder as a sugar replacement? If so, I'd love to hear what you think of it. I've got it in my "cart" on Netrition but am afraid to purchse without hearing others' experiences!

I wouldn't think it sweet enough to use as a substitute for other sweeteners.

jillybean

I ordered it last night, as well as some Capella flavor drops to try.

I wouldn't think it sweet enough to use as a substitute for other sweeteners.

It's actually sold as a sweetener in some cases. If it doesn't work well, I might try combining it with erythritol (which is also not as sweet as sugar, but I'm not trying to make fudge or anything - I'm primarily looking for a way to sweeten protein shakes).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.