Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry H.

Revenge of the Soybean?

Larry H.

Hello All,

As I tend to do I was looking for a low carb way to enjoy Chili with beans and another recipe we make with ground beef and beans. So when I saw that Soy Beans were a very low carb item with high fiber content and that others were using it for chili I ordered some canned ones. My mom, bless her heart, went to the trouble to convert her recipe and used half a can of the beans for a small test. I thought they tasted ok, she thought they had a slight odd after taste.

But after dinner I started to feel almost sick in the stomach area. The night was not very good for sleep as well with a lot of stomach discomfort. When I saw my mom the next morning she was definitely feeling poorly and hadn't slept either. That progressed to her throwing up and being sick for the better part of four days.. She won't go near them again and I am also not too excited to try them again myself.

I wonder if others have used them and found similar results?

Larry

foxl

Nope. I use Eden Black Soy with no problems.

Was your can bloated or anything? Did it hiss normally, when opened?

samorgan

I have heard too many bad things about any soy products which are not fermented. Miso, soy sauce, etc. are fermented products and are fine. I stay away from the actual beans or tofu which are unfermented. Some have referred to things found in soy as "anti-nutrients". It has hormonal issues. Still others have made the claim that we have really overdone consumption of un-fermented soy products in this country and that traditional cultures who use soy use mostly the fermented products.

I don't know the veracity of all this, but it was enough to convince me to stay away completely. I used to like tofu but I don't eat it any more.

Gladtobehere

Nope.

But we get frozen soy beans (aka, Edamame). They come in the pod or just the beans.

As an after school snack my grandaughter loves them in the pod and I like them anytime. 1 cup, microwave for about 4 minutes and eat the beans only. The pods seems rather inedible.

Personally, I would be suspicious or the ground beef long before the soy beans.

Larry H.

Now that someone brought it up I used to eat the flavored dry soy nuts and had no problem that I recall with that. I guess its possible it was the meat but have not had any issues previously with it and get it from the same source usually. I still have another can, I may still be brave enough to try them, but I know my mom will not go near them now. I thought though that feeling somewhat sick, as I did after eating them for a couple days seemed a lot more like something else than even a bad gas attack from beans which can easily do that?

Larry

notme

I eat a lot of edamame, only fresh. Haven't had a problem. Don't you hate it when one time illness will turn you off a food for a lifetime? I am that way with oxtail soup or any type of tomato soup that taste like oxtail. GROSS...blech!

Todd G.
I guess its possible it was the meat but have not had any issues previously with it and get it from the same source usually.

Larry

You might be buying the meat from the same place, but there's no telling where they got it. They don't even know. Meat scraps are collected from many sources and sent to ground meat processors. There are few controls to help determine where the meat actually came from in case some of it turns out to be bad. That's why ground beef recalls are so huge. They have to recall everything made between certian dates, as opposed to just particular lot numbers.

MrTomJones

Well,

Since I raise about 500 acres of soybeans and from my experience, they taste like **** or worse even. When combining them, before we go to the field for harvest. we pull in the field, break open a pod or two, pop them in your mouth. If they snap off. Lets go, if they are soft. Too wet still.

My dad can grab a handfull of them and eat them but not Tom

Also, raw they swell up after they are swallowed. Never feed raw soybeans to dogs/cats/pigs/cows/sheep etc. They over indulge on the protein. Ok , feed them to cats but that is it.

Wonder what you paid for them? Market price raw is 13 dollars for 62 lbs. This includes dead grasshoppers

debbiedoes
Hello All,

As I tend to do I was looking for a low carb way to enjoy Chili with beans and another recipe we make with ground beef and beans. So when I saw that Soy Beans were a very low carb item with high fiber content and that others were using it for chili I ordered some canned ones. My mom, bless her heart, went to the trouble to convert her recipe and used half a can of the beans for a small test. I thought they tasted ok, she thought they had a slight odd after taste.

But after dinner I started to feel almost sick in the stomach area. The night was not very good for sleep as well with a lot of stomach discomfort. When I saw my mom the next morning she was definitely feeling poorly and hadn't slept either. That progressed to her throwing up and being sick for the better part of four days.. She won't go near them again and I am also not too excited to try them again myself.

I wonder if others have used them and found similar results?

Larry

I'm allergic to soy, so I don't eat it (and therefore have no practical experience with soy beans). It sounds like both you and your mom were hit with some food poisoning. It's possible that it could be an allergic reaction, but with both of you suffering it's more likely (IME) that it was food poisoning.

Larry H.

I will try (bravely), the remaining beans and see what the results are. I did take a read on the chili which when I try to eat any pre made brands with beans gives me reads somewhere from 145 to 160. This chili with soy beans gave me a 107 at two hours and that included a serving of multi grain crackers and a few no fat chips. Plus low carb ice cream. So the results were excellent, I just hope the beans might be the same next try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.