Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Todd G.

Menu Thoughts

Todd G.

I'm sitting here working on a breakfast menu for a corporate account (I'm a caterer). I think this sounds good.

Three Belgian waffles, smeared with a mixture of cream cheese, ricotta cheese, and orange marmalade, then stacked high, draped with sliced strawberries, whipped butter, and drenched in syrup of your choice.

Sounds pretty good to me. See what I HAVE to think about. My life is hard. Now I just have to remember not to lick the syrup off my fingers. :(

Seriously, how many of you have to walk around a house with 6000 cookbooks?

Wanna hear my thoughts on cheesey potato dishes? I've got some good one's. Or maybe banana bread cup cakes filled with banana pudding.

Whack-a-mmol/L

"Yea though I walk through the valley of carbohydrate, I will fear no evil... :eek:

princesslinda

When you cater a breakfast like that, do companies order anything savory to go along side it?

I'll bet your waffle dish would go over well though. I've made my husband French toast using banana bread, sliced thin with cream cheese spread between 2 thin slices, then dipped in the egg mixture and fried, topped with a brown sugar/butter syrup, with fresh bananas that he really enjoyed.

I prefer b/fast casseroles myself, as i've never been a pancake or French toast fan. My office would definitely love your waffle dish though.

Canadiandude

Belgian waffles - I hate you!

cream cheese, ricotta cheese I hate both of you!

orange marmalade, sliced strawberries, whipped butter, syrup of your choice, cheesy potato, banana bread cup cakes filled with banana pudding - I hate you all!

I'm just kidding! I love you all! It's Todd I hate! ;)

Jan B

I've been a diabetic for so long, that I've truly altered my brain! Sweet things for breakfast literally make me nauseous. I'm even disgusted watching someone eat sweets for breakfast. However, cheesy potatoes . . . now that sounds wonderful - no brain change there!

jenb

Spinach & mushroom Fritatta, turkey sausages, berries displayed on a tray with lemon whipped cream dip. Yum.

Jen

Todd G.
When you cater a breakfast like that, do companies order anything savory to go along side it?

Not usually. A typical package would include cereal, yogurt, fruit trays, waffles, breakfast meats, pastries, and juice/coffee. They might add eggs or quiche if they have the time and space.

So I feed them all the carbs they want, and an hour later when they're all asleep, I rifle through their briefcases and look for valuables. ;) just kidding, but they do tend to get drowsy abut 10am.

k_dub

Todd,

I think I attend the types of meetings that you cater and I hate when breakfast is provided and it's total carb overload. Even before I was diabetic, I much preferred the savory protein. I've been traveling with food in my suitcase.

It is pretty funny watching the people at the meeting crash in a few hours after that kind of breakfast.

Then they serve another round of high carb snacks at 10am and then again at 3pm. Only way to keep people awake.

I consider myself to be a foodie and I thoroughly enjoy cooking. I own tons of cookbooks. There are some foods, to me, that are bolus-worthy and some that are not. And as I get older, there are fewer things on that bolus-worthy list.

I eat low carb during the week and mod-carb during the weekend and for the most part, I rarely feel deprived. I "cheat" and have that bolus-worthy thing now and then - as long as I'm not cheating every day.

Todd G.
Todd,

I think I attend the types of meetings that you cater and I hate when breakfast is provided and it's total carb overload. Even before I was diabetic, I much preferred the savory protein. I've been traveling with food in my suitcase.

It is pretty funny watching the people at the meeting crash in a few hours after that kind of breakfast.

Then they serve another round of high carb snacks at 10am and then again at 3pm. Only way to keep people awake.

I consider myself to be a foodie and I thoroughly enjoy cooking. I own tons of cookbooks. There are some foods, to me, that are bolus-worthy and some that are not. And as I get older, there are fewer things on that bolus-worthy list.

I eat low carb during the week and mod-carb during the weekend and for the most part, I rarely feel deprived. I "cheat" and have that bolus-worthy thing now and then - as long as I'm not cheating every day.

I agree. I'm lucky in that I've always been more drawn to savory foods than sweets. I might do pancakes once a year. Same for candy or ice cream. Just no big attraction there for me, except on the occasion when some walks by with a great looking dish of ice cream. :(

But it's not unsual for a breakfast like the one above to be followed by giant subs with chips, potato salad, and yogurt for lunch, with soda of course. Or pasta and salad. I always try to get them to do snacks for all the meeting tables, but a lot of time they won't. I do a mixture of 70% nuts, 20% crunchy cheese sticks, and 10% pretzels. Not the greatest thing if you're diabetic, but not terrible either.

Todd G.

I ran across this video of a breakfast that could be modified to be diabetic friendly by substituting flaxseed breads in place of waffles, etc. It contains some alcohol and fat, so that would tend to blunt spikes too. They wouldn't be sleepy after this. :)

It Ain't Over

After staying with a very low carb diet for a few years the only I find myself craving for breakfast is coffee. I wake up at night and get anxious for that smooth rich scent to waft up again across the kitchen.

Then I sit down to a cup after a few sips, well time for the cheese and sausage. That is when the good times come to the end.

samorgan

Huh?

I take my coffee with heavy cream and coconut oil (thoroughly dispersed with a steam wand), bring out the eggs, cheese, etc. and the good times just BEGIN. Why do your end? That breakfast leaves me satisfied, energized and alert for 6 - 8 hours!

After staying with a very low carb diet for a few years the only I find myself craving for breakfast is coffee. I wake up at night and get anxious for that smooth rich scent to waft up again across the kitchen.

Then I sit down to a cup after a few sips' date=' well time for the cheese and sausage. That is when the good times come to the end.[/quote']

Todd G.

For me, I do the eggs and bacon with cheese most mornings, switching to sausage if I'm feeling dangerous. Usually with sugar free apple cider or crystal light OJ. A few hours later I'll follow with decaf coffee and coconut oil with the heavy cream, and I'm set for the rest of the day unless I remind myself to eat. Good stable energy all day.

At night I just graze with dips and celery or salads usually. Maybe some more coconut oil.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.