Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anthony S

My experience with Kellogg's Special K Fiber Plus.

Anthony S

I haven't had any cereal since getting DXed in January, so I decided to try the Special K Fiber Plus cereal for a week. It has 9 net grams of carbs for a 3/4 cup serving. I wish they'd eliminate the 2 grams of sugar and let us add our own sweetener.

On Monday, I had one serving of cereal and nothing else. (Note: I realized later that I had forgotten to take my Metformin.) My pre reading was 88; 1 hour was 126; 2 hour was 94; and 3 hour was 89.

On Tuesday I remembered my Metformin. Pre was 84; 1 hour was 114; and 2 hour was 86. I decided against a 3 hour reading since I was back to normal.

On Wednesday I added half a grapefruit. Pre=88; 1 hr=134; 2 hr=84.

On Thursday I had the cereal with some scrambled eggs. Pre=93; 1 hr=108; 2 hr=89.

On Friday I decided to retry the grapefruit. Pre=84; I got sidetracked and forgot the 1 hour reading. 2 hour was 84.

On Saturday I tried again with half a grapefruit. Pre=83; 1 hr=131; 2 hr=83.

So it looks like I'll be eating this cereal along with eggs or sausage, rather than something carby like fruit or toast.

Anthony.

janice21475

The meter doesn't lie. That was some thorough testing, good documentation - good job.

Sounds like a good plan, too.

Maybe if we write them and ask them to drop the sugar, nah, never happen. It was a thought, though. :D

Janice

Anthony S

Maybe if we write them and ask them to drop the sugar, nah, never happen. It was a thought, though. :D

Janice

I thought the same thing, but there's no way they'd risk losing so many customers to satisfy us diabetics. But with diabetes becoming so common, maybe they'll have to give in some day. Kind of sad, really, when those with a disease are becoming the norm.

Anthony.

Mussakka

I've had quite good results with this cereal. I experience a relatively mild spike that comes down into range in short order. The only real side effect I had with the cereal was gas, but with all the fiber, that's to be expected. As I got more accustomed to it, the gas greatly subsided.

WantHealth

This is great. Thank you, Anthony, for posting such helpful information.

What are you putting in the cereal -- regular milk?

Anthony S

What are you putting in the cereal -- regular milk?

Half & half. It adds maybe 2 or 3 carbs. I should add that the taste and texture is just like regular Special K.

Steve S

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.