Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickP

New Study shows that Diabetic Nephropathy can be REVERSED by a Ketogenic Diet

NickP

I don't know if this has been posted, but it is certainly worth a look.

This study was done on mice, so further research is still needed. However, the results are promising, as this study clearly showed that eating a very low carb diet (where the body switches from using Glucose as its fuel source to ketones) actually reversed the Diabetic Nephropathy.

Wow....nutrition being used to help control and reverse a disease! OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

Let's get some more research in this area (like any drug company would finance that study....).

ABSTRACT

Intensive insulin therapy and protein restriction delay the development of nephropathy in a variety of conditions, but few interventions are known to reverse nephropathy. Having recently observed that the ketone 3-beta-hydroxybutyric acid (3-OHB) reduces molecular responses to glucose, we hypothesized that a ketogenic diet, which produces prolonged elevation of 3-OHB, may reverse pathological processes caused by diabetes. To address this hypothesis, we assessed if prolonged maintenance on a ketogenic diet would reverse nephropathy produced by diabetes. In mouse models for both Type 1 (Akita) and Type 2 (db/db) diabetes, diabetic nephropathy (as indicated by albuminuria) was allowed to develop, then half the mice were switched to a ketogenic diet. After 8 weeks on the diet, mice were sacrificed to assess gene expression and histology. Diabetic nephropathy, as indicated by albumin/creatinine ratios as well as expression of stress-induced genes, was completely reversed by 2 months maintenance on a ketogenic diet. However, histological evidence of nephropathy was only partly reversed. These studies demonstrate that diabetic nephropathy can be reversed by a relatively simple dietary intervention. Whether reduced glucose metabolism mediates the protective effects of the ketogenic diet remains to be determined.

Study: PLoS ONE: Reversal of Diabetic Nephropathy by a Ketogenic Diet

DeusXM

Actually if you read the study, you'll see they are comparing 'diabetic' mice on two different diets. Neither of these two categories were actually treated for their diabetes, so in other words, all this study proves is that in mice with uncontrolled diabetes, those who eat very few carbs tend to last a bit longer than those that eat a lot.

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but that doesn't exactly seem a huge surprise. What about comparing the effect of the diets on people who are treating their diabetes?

NickP
What about comparing the effect of the diets on people who are treating their diabetes?

Deus...good idea...but no money to made doing that. It is frustrating that with all of money spent on research, very little of it is designed to really benefit us overall...just IMHO.

BTW...Jimmy Moore did an excellent write up on this study (don't be too quick to dismiss it!). He also post a couple YouTube videos of his interview -- Check it out here:

Dr. Charles Mobbs: Diabetic Kidney Damage Can Actually Be Reversed With A High-Fat, Low-Carb Ketogenic Diet « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

DeusXM
Jimmy Moore did an excellent write up on this study (don't be too quick to dismiss it!).

I guess your definition of 'excellent' differs somewhat from mine. Again, the study's irrelevent unless it mimics actual conditions people with diabetes face. Also, how impartial do you really think someone who sells low-carb books and products could actually be when discussing ketogenic diets?

I'm not disregarding ketogenic diets; I just don't think this study really has any relevence to people with diabetes and I don't like how the only people who make a big deal about how their views are supressed by the Establishment also seem to be the ones making the money out of this.

ibeatt2

They are comparing subjects with good bg control (on low carb) vs. subjects with bad bg control (on high carb). There is no question subjects on a low carb diet would have better bg control than subjects on a high carb diet. There is also no question subjects on good bg control would have a better chance reversing diabetic complicaitons than subjects on bad bg control.

I would like to see a comparsion of kidney function improvements among people who achieve good bg control, say an A1C of 5.0 to 5.5? through

1. ketogenic diet

2. exercise

3. insulin

4. ..other means?

The result of this comparison will be much more interesting to see.

art

Low carb and meds keep my BG unsder control.

Never did a thing for my tingles and loss of sensation.

Art

NickP
Low carb and meds keep my BG unsder control.

Never did a thing for my tingles and loss of sensation.

Art

Art...the study was about a Ketogenic Diet. Many low carb diets are not ketogenic.

Deus - yes, I agree further study is needed. However, it is interesting to note that a DIET ACTUALLY REVERSED A COMPLICATION. Medications may control the worsening of a complication, but rarely actually reverse it.

I think the key point is showing the Health Benefits that are possible from a Ketogenic Diet!

Now....who is willing to give the funding to this hypothesis to the new level of study?

gphx

A year ago I was walking with a cane and could only walk a couple blocks before becoming exhausted. I weighed 220 pounds. My feet burned, tingled, and felt numb at the same time 24/7. On exertion my hands and lips would join them. Things were getting worse by the day and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be around much longer. I started cutting back on carbs because I had nothing to lose and kept walking every day. About four months ago I'd gotten a bit better. At least the cane was gone. Then a doctor noticed my bg issues. I got a meter and went keto confirmed by Ketostyx.

Four months later I weigh under 170, having lost more than 50 pounds. My feet are no longer in pain 24/7. I usually only notice them at all if I overexercise by what I'd consider to be a normal person's standards. My hands and lips no longer get numb. I'm basically a new person getting better every day thanks to keto.

A study of one may be meaningless to someone else but priceless to you if it's you. I was firmly against keto for decades but one day realized I had no options left and nothing to lose. My advice to people is to try it and sort out how you feel about it later.

None of this is to say reservations about a particular study are unwarranted.

DeusXM
Deus - yes, I agree further study is needed. However, it is interesting to note that a DIET ACTUALLY REVERSED A COMPLICATION. Medications may control the worsening of a complication, but rarely actually reverse it.

Indeed, but it'd be interesting to know whether it's something inherant in the ketogenic diet and the presence of ketones, or simply the result of greater control. That's why I'd like to see a study that compares someone treating their diabetes well on a ketogenic diet (and meds if necessary) with someone not on a ketogenic diet, but treating their diabetes well. My hypothesis is that the simple act of controlling your diabetes well is enough to reverse complications; I would be very interested to find out if there's more I can do other than just keeping my BGs in the right range to prevent and reverse problems.

NickP
A year ago I was walking with a cane and could only walk a couple blocks before becoming exhausted. I weighed 220 pounds. My feet burned, tingled, and felt numb at the same time 24/7. On exertion my hands and lips would join them. Things were getting worse by the day and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be around much longer. I started cutting back on carbs because I had nothing to lose and kept walking every day. About four months ago I'd gotten a bit better. At least the cane was gone. Then a doctor noticed my bg issues. I got a meter and went keto confirmed by Ketostyx.

Four months later I weigh under 170, having lost more than 50 pounds. My feet are no longer in pain 24/7. I usually only notice them at all if I overexercise by what I'd consider to be a normal person's standards. My hands and lips no longer get numb. I'm basically a new person getting better every day thanks to keto.

A study of one may be meaningless to someone else but priceless to you if it's you. I was firmly against keto for decades but one day realized I had no options left and nothing to lose. My advice to people is to try it and sort out how you feel about it later.

None of this is to say reservations about a particular study are unwarranted.

Wow....that is awesome!!!! Great Story!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.