Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WantHealth

Random observation: Liquid sugar is the worst!

WantHealth

Last week I went out to dinner and ate a very nice low carb meal off the menu (I ordered a lovely sea bass and ate the veggies but avoided the rice and bread and all the usual evil suspects).

I ordered iced tea as my beverage and here in New Mexico iced tea is always UNsweetened. It's not like the south where iced tea is Sweet Tea and always sugared. Well, I didn't even taste the iced tea first and I simply added my packet of Splenda to it and kept on going.

I had about 3 glasses of this iced tea.

I came home to find a post 90 min meal reading of 146! This was my highest reading since I have been tracking my bg levels. I was shocked.

Then I thought about it and realized the iced tea MUST have been pre-sweetened and I didn't even realize it. I downed 3 glasses of sugary iced tea and this was the result.

I just wanted to say that since I have been testing I've eaten 2 slices of pizza, I've eaten pasta and 1/2 a cupcake and 1/2 a bagel with cream cheese and a few other sugary things but nothing has spiked me as much as LIQUID SUGAR! Wow. You probably all already know this but drinking sugar is the worst thing, at least for me.

mjrc64

Well, really, if it was sweetened with sugar, 146 does not seem so bad after 3 glasses! Truly, right? But bummer, since you might have preferred the rice or bread if you had to have a spike.

But now you know to always ask. I live in the NE and I would never think to even ask if tea were sweetened. Its always straight up here, unless it is a flavored tea, like raspberry or such.

I think it is absorbed so fast when dissolved in liquid. Just like a glass of juice.

Gladtobehere

Yep... Liquid sugar is fast. And there is NO reason (except ow BG why anyone should take liquid sugar)well maybe an some juice once in a while.

But 146 is not that high a reading. So Don't worry about it. just learn not to do that again. And never assume about the food/beverage being served to you. You willl discover that more often than not your beverage will be spiked with sugar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.