Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foxl

I can has Cashews? :-O ???

foxl

Yes, yes I CAN! :D:D:D:D:D

I had pretty much ruled them out, because peanuts spike me so dreadfully ... even in pretty small amounts, anymore. Cashews are, like 8g carb per oz!!! Peanuts are 6 but somehow still kill my BG control.

Since I had not really mentioned this to my better half, he bought some ...

The other night I sauteed some in butter (ooooh, naughty naughty me!!!), about 2 oz, in fact. Expecting to have to bolus. And to correct. Nothing!!!

Did it again a couple nights later for a snack and ... nothing!! Of course we are being quantitative, here, still. And Itold him not to buy me the SALTED ones, nonononooooooos.

But, I. CAN. HAS. CASHEWS. No more sneaking into the peanuts or peanut butter, for me! :T Truth be told, Ialways preferred cashews anyhow, from childhood on ...

MCS

I can eat the cashews but they do give me a rise. I try not to eat them after 3:00pm, because I will still be elevated come dinner time. Of course I eat a 8oz bag of them at a time.

ant hill

Linda, There's carbs in them like peanuts. The other question is. Is it a good Complex Carbohydrate???

If you feel guilty that they spike you is go for a run. :D

gphx

Pistachios have about the same carbs. A place near me sells them unsalted and delicious. I've read that fat can slow absorption of carbs. Perhaps that's part of their magic.

Mussakka

Cashews have to be my favorite nut, along with pecans. Nom nom nom....

We actually buy cashews, walnuts, pecans, and almonds and mix our own nuts for the week. I have a 1/2 cup as a snack each day and maybe a handful when I get home after work. They don't really impact my BG much at all. Now, if I overdo the cashews, there will be a rise, but still nothing like eating something really carby.

Glad you found something new to enjoy, Linda!

ZoraP

I enjoy cashews as part of a nut mix like the one Mussakka described. As long as the mix is unsalted it's (fairly) easy for me to measure out a small portion and put the rest away. At least mixed with the other nuts I don't have any BG issues (and I agree that cashews are way Yummy!).

jwags

I love cashews, I usually buy the raw, unsalted ones. I rarely get a spike. You know they sell cashew butter, similar to peanut butter.

Shadawbi

I don't like peanuts so I have no idea if they spike me, but I eat cashews, almonds, pecans, & pistachios without any Bg spikes. I only buy them salted though...unsalted are yucky! blech!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.