Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stinastina

Metformin (not pregnant but need info)

stinastina

I am posting in this forum because I figure there may be more ladies in here with advice or experience.

I just started metformin about 2 weeks ago right around ovulation. I had tried it many years ago and had so many tummy problems that I stopped. But I decided to try it again. I only take 500 mg per day and then I will work up to the 1000 the doctor recommended when my stomach settles.

So I had a very bad ovulation pain and then breakthrough bleeding which turned into very heavy bleeding with very large clots. I feel like it's finally tapering off. Has anyone else had these problems when first starting metformin and please tell me it eventually stops.

disgirl

I've never hear of this..bleeding and ovulation pain with metformin? It seems like an issue to discuss with your doc asap!! Good luck!

stinastina

Thanks for your reply ! I occassionally have ovulation pain so that's been normal for me except last cycle it was very bad. I ended up having a very long cycle which eventually stopped. I'm hoping this one will be closer to normal.

princesslinda

Have your periods been irregular up until now? Do you have PCOS?

When I first started metformin, I was averaging about 3 really heavy periods a year, but since being on it, I have not missed a month in nearly 5 years.

Metformin is given to many women who have PCOS, and it does appear to regulate their menstrual cycles. It may be responsible for some of your symptoms, but there could be other issues in play. I'd definitely suggest checking with your Gynecologist.

stinastina

My cycles have been regular until I had some fibroid problems two years ago but then I had a myomectomy and have been regular since. I have not been diagnosed with PCOS - I had one child and I never tried for another.

I go to a clinic that does not have a gyno - this is all I can afford right now. But I think things are back to normal - I have been on metformin now a little over a month. I really like it except for the occasional bathroom bouts, it controls my bs well.

princesslinda

I'm not sure of your age, but i'm in my mid-40's, and there are cycle changes that i'm noticing that I attribute to being "perimenopausal," not sure if this could be applicable in your case or not.

Also, with your history of fibroids, do you think you may be getting another one?

It will be interesting to see if this was just a one-time event or a monthly issue. Guess time will tell. If it continues, definitely speak with your doctor about it.

Good to hear the metformin is working well for you. Since it does help with our insulin resistance, i'm betting that it could affect your cycle in some way, but i've not seen any posts to that effect except for the regulating of the cycles.

stinastina

I'm in my mid 40s, too. I pray it is not another fibroid - I had 17 removed last year ! I never want to go through that again. I did see some women ask similar questions when I did a google search last month and before the met my sugars were very high (200s FBG). This is my favorite diabetes forum so that's why I posted here. There is always such a wealth of information on this forum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.