Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadawbi

Pistachio question

Shadawbi

I accidentally bought a bag of pistachios that are UNsalted:ahhhhh: I was wondering, can I grind them up to make a flour to use in something? Has anyone ever tried it?

PINK

Shadawbi,

I haven't cooked with them ground up as a flour but I have done so with other nuts.

Here is a link using Pistachio flour.

Pistachio Macaroon Recipes | Foodily

Here's one using pistachios in different ways:

This recipe was down the page and sounds delicious:

Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto with Rosemary, Orange and California Pistachios

Santa Barbara Pistachios - Recipes

Have fun and let us know what worked out well, if you like, ok?

Pink

Bountyman

Make up a thick salt solution and water in a bowl. Dump the pistachios in the bowl, mix 'em around until they're coated well...then pour them into a colander to drain. Once they're drained spread them out on a newspaper to dry.

Gladtobehere

OR get another bag of salted and mix them together.

OR ......just eat them unsalted. They are actually quite tasty that way. And god knows we get plenty of salt in the remainder or our diet.

Chaseg08
Couldn't you just sprinkle some salt over them?

Salt won't stick.

I like to buy unsalted mixed varieties and toss them in a bowl with some olive oil, garlic, rosemary, pepper and paprika then throw em' in the oven on 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. One of my favorite snacks.

DeusXM
Salt won't stick.

If they're in a packet I'd imagine that wouldn't be too much of a problem. There was a line of crisps (potato chips) in the UK called Salt 'n' Shake where the salt came in a separate packet and you just shook it over.

Fine, you might not get the full magical stickiness you'd get with something that's been industrially salted in a factory but I think you'd still get a perfectly edible and tasty result.

Shadawbi

DeusXM---I love your signature line..LOL. I never thought to salt them myself but the olive oil recipe that Chase gave sounds yummy as do many of the recipes that Pink linked me to. Yummy. Now to shell them all....LOL

modcarb
DeusXM---I love your signature line..LOL. I never thought to salt them myself but the olive oil recipe that Chase gave sounds yummy as do many of the recipes that Pink linked me to. Yummy. Now to shell them all....LOL

Yeah--the shelling is the hard part.

princesslinda
Yeah--the shelling is the hard part.

I like them for that very reason....portion control! ;)

Shadawbi
No No--that's what you do to the pistachios.

hahahaha....yeah. I think I'll wait till my 16 year old does something to get me mad & make her crack them all as her punishment. LOL

Bountyman
hahahaha....yeah. I think I'll wait till my 16 year old does something to get me mad & make her crack them all as her punishment. LOL

Right...let your punished teenager near your food. What could go wrong there?! *rolls eyes*

Shadawbi
Right...let your punished teenager near your food. What could go wrong there?! *rolls eyes*

Yes, you have a point. I'll have to make sure she's not hungry when she's crackin!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.