Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

velvetgreen

Low Carbers -> is it any wonder why the word is confused

notme

I read it, I wept and cringed all at the same time. She seems a bit mis-informed to say the least. Whatever. I guess if you can type and blog you can be heard.

notme

Nope. Where is it posted? Sadly, she is just one of the many people who believe that type one diabetes strikes kids and type 2's, well they just brought that on themselves. Really sad.

Subby

She missed out on the second half of the title Do You Understand Diabetes? - "because maybe you can help me out..."

That said, this looks like just another crappy 'blog'/advertorial of which there are 1,000,000 on any given topic on the web.

velvetgreen

i happen to know that this lady is retained as a "staff dietitian" to major Australian corporates...

velvetgreen
Nope. Where is it posted? Sadly, she is just one of the many people who believe that type one diabetes strikes kids and type 2's, well they just brought that on themselves. Really sad.

my comments (quite long) are at the bottom of the page! i hope!

velvetgreen

when i go in via a different browser i cannot see them. maye she moderates them first. who cares...

samorgan

Pretty hit and miss, but it could have been worse. I'm wondering exactly which parts the consensus on this thread is objecting to most. Here's my comments:

Agree Disagree N/A

Type 2 Diabetes on the other hand is traditionally known as ‘Adult Onset’ because it is caused by poor diet and lifestyle choices (sometimes in combination with genetic factors) Simply put, Type 2 Diabetes is when an individual becomes resistant to the insulin being produced, resulting in blood glucose levels remaining raised.

The number of individuals globally with Type 2 Diabetes continues to rise. Even worse, incidences of Type 2 are occurring in young children more and more. Why you ask? ]Because of our food supply. Food these days is getting more processed & less nutritious; there are more packaged ‘foods’ available today than ever before, sugar intake is at a national high, and the fast food industry continues to grow and affect our intake of saturated fat, trans fat, & refined products

To ensure that you and your loved ones reduce your risk of diabetes, eat a clean nourishing diet of fresh fruits & vegetables, whole unrefined grains, healthy fats, light quality proteins and plenty of water. Reduce or eliminate the following substances that increase risk of Type 2 Diabetes: Soda, Coffee, Tobacco, Fried foodsHeavily refined oilscakes, biscuits, chocolates & candy/lollies, White flour, White rice, Sugar, Heavily processed meat & dairy, and anything else packaged, canned, or frozen. Also, keep moving!

shyam

The other day on one of our national TV channels there was this panel of doctors & nutritionists advising people on healthy eating to avoid chronic problems like BP, D etc. There was a call in number & my wife called in to ask them the correct %age of P,C,F. The nutritionist said Carbs 40 %, Proteins 40 % & Fats 20 %. I was quite upset with my wife because this would have been seen & applied by 1000's of people. But you can't stop the "experts" from advising. That's where their bread & butter comes from.

foxl

She looks like an egomaniac, besides.

I emailed her rather than commenting on her blog itself. I was as kind as I could stand to be ...

ShottleBop

One of her reasons why someone might go vegan (Day 1 of her vegan diet): "The main cause of Global Warming is from the burps and farts from the animals being raised for food."

xMenace

I didn't see yours, so I added my own. In case they get deleted too:

xMenace

Interesting but not very sound. It’s my firm belief that people make “poor diet and lifestyle choices” because our powers that be have interpreted the science wrongly. Some will argue that big business has unduly influenced concensus towards a more profitable idea of healthy, and I can’t argue against that claim.

If we make such poor choices, how would you explain a type 2 epidemic in the American Military? They are fed according to the American Food Guidelines, the same dish you recommend. How about six month olds? Are they spending too much time in donut shoppes? How about poor single moms with malnuourished children? Are these ladies stealing food from their kids? How about we ditch the whole idea that it’s a mental problem — what you are really saying is over half the population is mentally ill — and we start looking at teh real science. The real science says insulin controls adiposity and carbohydrates trigger insulin. Pretend science shows cholesterol is bad and therefore saturated and trans fats are bad, yet the real science shows that saturated fats have no linkages to CVD. None! The real science shows us that LDL quality matters and LDL quantity is meaningless, maybe even reversed of what we have thought all along. Real science shows sugars degrade LDL, increase triglycerides, and suppress HDL. All real diabetics know that sugar kills.

And please remove the picture of the brownies. My God, death on a plate!

GretchO
One of her reasons why someone might go vegan (Day 1 of her vegan diet): "The main cause of Global Warming is from the burps and farts from the animals being raised for food."

What about the burps and farts from going vegan?

notme

Nobody's posts are showing up. She can edit them and rightfully so, it is her blog. Maybe she will take it down eventually. Oh well, it is just a blog. I doubt too many people will read it anyhow. Maybe your comments will make her stop and do some research.

jwags

I think it is more miss than hit. First of all Type 1 diabetes can happen at anytime in life, not just childhood. I won't even go into the Type 2 definition. There is this huge stereotype out there in the medical world that all of us type 2 must be overweight couch potatoes that don't understand nutrition and of course never exercise. I think if she saw a lot of us she would be surprised. I think a lot of the new research is showing that the IR is there first and messes up with the signals that process carbs correctly. For this very reason many people who eat normal amounts may become overweight, not the other way around. Even though I only weigh 118, I am very insulin resistant and can't eat healthy foods like whole grains, fruits, brown rice, quinoa or ww pasta.

foxl

Well I emailed her, no reply but maybe she will read it. Hopefully she gets the point, if only in the number of deletes she has had to do.

ShottleBop

According to SLATE (December 6, 2007), there are countries in which a huge percentage of the greenhouse gases emitted do come from animals:

Scientists are trying to fight global warming by changing animal flatulence. Emissions from livestock reportedly account for up to half of greenhouse gas emissions in some countries. Kangaroos have stomach bacteria that eliminate methane from their gas; scientists want to transfer these bacteria to sheep and cattle. Bonus: The bacteria could improve digestive efficiency by 10 to 15 percent, thereby reducing feed costs. Alternative proposal: Eat less cattle and more kangaroo meat: "It's low in fat, it's got high protein levels," and "it's the ultimate free range animal." (Related: HN's previous update on global warming and animal flatulence.)

According to an article published by the UN News Centre back in 2006, livestock produce 37% of all mankind-induced methane emissions.

ShottleBop
Nobody's posts are showing up. She can edit them and rightfully so, it is her blog. Maybe she will take it down eventually. Oh well, it is just a blog. I doubt too many people will read it anyhow. Maybe your comments will make her stop and do some research.

She deleted my comment to her post about the first day of her Vegan diet (suggesting that, for reasons not to go vegan, folks read Lierre Keith's The Vegetarian Myth).

Haniwitch
According to SLATE (December 6, 2007), there are countries in which a huge percentage of the greenhouse gases emitted do come from animals:

According to an article published by the UN News Centre back in 2006, livestock produce 37% of all mankind-induced methane emissions.

So I guess it's "Save the Planet, Eat a Cow". :D The only thing I don't like about Veganism is no one will tell me what will happen to all the animals if everyone turns vegan. A few years back when the PMU industry started to die a lot of those horses went into dog food or over to France as steak. Some were lucky in that the animal rescue people found homes for them but it wasn't a large percentage. So who's going to give all those cows, pigs, chickens, etc. that aren't being eaten homes? Or are they going to be let loose in the wild and hope they survive? Would we even want them to survive? Given ShottleBop's post if they did thrive, well there goes the planet to even more greenhouse gases. I think I hate being human. My dogs and cats don't worry about where their food comes from or how it was treated, they just eat it.

Subby

I don't think a sudden absolute conversion to veganism/vegetarianism by all peoples at once, is a thought experiment to be concerned about. Hypotheticals should be grounded in some sense of possibility, and that doesn't seem at all likely. If "mass conversion" were to occur, it would almost certainly be incremental in some way. A drying up industry would adapt with less breeding, then... dry up. Not that I think this is likely to happen anytime soon, if at all in the foreseeable future.

Moonpie

I am not going to bother to go & read that drivel. I do not want to drive up her blog hits.

JEB

lol I posted many replies, and she has deleted them all. I tried having conversations with my self, making different names, it was entertaining for a while.

She is watch it like a hawk. I look at her site further, she is part of a pyramid scam to sell vitamins and juices ect... I have met these idiots before. I went to a diabetes expo a few months back and it was terrible. Few thousand idiots with no clue about diabetes, but had just the right snake oil to cure me. Half of the people I met were selling the same BS as everyone else who invested 1200 dollars in a idiotic business. I was invited to a bunch of "diabetic wellness" parties. Basically like Pampered Chef or some sort of Purse Party. Some idiot host it, in hopes of getting free swag, while everyone else gets sales pitches stuffed down their throats for 4 hours in hopes of socializing with people who live with their same illness.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.