Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

velvetgreen

Low Carbers -> is it any wonder why the word is confused

JEB

I can't help my self, I think I have an addiction.

Amanda Huginkis

I didn’t know diabetes was such a big deal, now that you have explained that to me, I will never ever get it.

I am worried though, can it be contracted sexually? A person I dated a little while ago has recently become diabetic, I was thinking about getting my self tested.

She has also been visited by a very intelligent truck driver named Ben Dover, and she was commended by a Dr. Oliver Clothsoff.

JEB

Ok, I am done, I had to do one last post. I know I have the maturity level of a 10 year old.

In reply to Amanda Huginkis...

Mike Hunt

I’m not sure, but I am pretty sure if you used a condom, you will not have to worry. How ever, my cousin Willy thinks he caught it through oral sex with a fat woman.

But if you used a condom, you should be fine.

Mike H.

ShottleBop

Let's see if this one sticks:

"Type 2 Diabetes" has NOT been "traditionally known as ‘Adult Onset’ because it is often caused by poor diet and lifestyle choices (often in combination with genetic factors)." It was traditionally known as "Adult Onset" because the vast majority of the people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes were adults at the time. Full stop. Now, however, more and more juveniles are being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and "adult onset" would be a misnomer.

"Poor diet and lifestyle choices," too, sounds fairly judgmental--many people have been diagnosed after having eaten what they have been told, for many years, is a "healthy" diet. I'd also appreciate your giving a few examples of the "poor lifestyle choices" to which you ascribe the development of Type 2 diabetes.

Many thanks.

ShottleBop

Interesting. My suggestion about reading The Vegetarian Myth is there, now.

She gives an interesting mix of thoughts. These are two points she makes in her second post, reporting this time on the Dukan Diet:

1) Avoid the Dukan Diet and other low carbohydrate diets. There are zero benefits involved. Stay nourished with your ‘good’ carbohydrates such as brown rice, quinoa, fruits and vegetables.

2) Restrict low-fat and fat-free dairy, as they are full of sugar and other artificial ingredients to make up for taste and consistancy.If you want dairy, choose quality full-fat dairy, especially for yogurts & cheeses. Also, check if your community has any raw dairy suppliers. The Weston A. Price Foundation is a sea of information in regards to raw dairy and overall health. Check it out: The Weston A. Price Foundation. And lastly, experiment with limiting dairy for 1-2 weeks to see if you’re one of the many people in the world who feel better without it ;)

ShottleBop

I don't recall seeing this disclaimer before, but it does help:

*Disclaimer: This blog post is a simple explanation of Diabetes & does not include the exact science behind what causes it and what exceptions there may be for certain people; Lastly, this article is about how to aid in PREVENTING diabetes, not Treat it. While a healthy and clean diet & lifestyle decreases your risk of Diabetes Type 2, once someone already has it a complete ‘carb-counting’ diet is necessary. (But that’s a whole other post!).

(Someone who touts the Weston A. Price Foundation has to have something on the ball.)

jumbo9312
Ok, I am done, I had to do one last post. I know I have the maturity level of a 10 year old.

In reply to Amanda Huginkis...

JEB,

Hilarious!

Thanks man, you made my day!

velvetgreen
Well I emailed her, no reply but maybe she will read it. Hopefully she gets the point, if only in the number of deletes she has had to do.

Can you forward your email? ( use forum email )

She replied to my "comment" with a very nice email. i have replied to her reply. Will send those if you like.

Thanks for commenting. I think i am going tobe unpopular with someone...

:)

ShottleBop

She has changed her descriptions of Type 1 and Type 2 in ways that take into account comments received.

foxl

It is gone but if she replies I wil lforward it!

Can you forward your email? ( use forum email )

She replied to my "comment" with a very nice email. i have replied to her reply. Will send those if you like.

Thanks for commenting. I think i am going tobe unpopular with someone...

:)

Caravaggio

Unfortunately, she's not the only one on the internet. I've lost count of how many "health gurus" out there all profess to know about diabetes and many other kinds of medical conditions. Theirs are usually the first blogs or websites I encounter when I try to search for blogs by people with diabetes.

davef

The burps and farts of animals ..... darn it, now I have to eat more meat to make up for her not eating meat, otherwise we'll be doomed by the farts! Alternatively we could solve it all my the mass extinction of all animals who fart and burp, seems to me that she would be all for stopping the burp & farting of the animals, so to support her vegan views, we need to kill off all the animals. She didn't get off to a good start day 1 of her vegan diet, raw honey, I'm a confirmed carnivore and make no apologies for it, but even I know real vegans don't eat honey. She's a crackpot and is only looking for attention, I reckon she's becoming vegan because she thinks it is cool or trendy and is doing a dis-service to true vegans and vegetarians.

mjrc64
Unfortunately, she's not the only one on the internet. I've lost count of how many "health gurus" out there all profess to know about diabetes and many other kinds of medical conditions. Theirs are usually the first blogs or websites I encounter when I try to search for blogs by people with diabetes.

No kidding. Ugh. There is a group I occasionally visit(more to add a voice of reason) where frightened helpless members are being guided by a layperson on their liver disease. it is downright frightening. She is not medical at all, and now is pulling together a book on how they should all eat. She keeps telling people all sorts of healthful foods they should avoid eating, like broccoli, brussell srouts, greens, etc... for one thing or another. It is so confusing to those uenducated in nutrition and overwhelmed. The general gist is well intended, but the advice is coming from someone who appears to believe all of what she reads as opposed to someone with an eye for proper research and science. Ugh.

It is downright scary sometimes. All of it, not just this one I mention.

I do think this blogger linked here is well-intended and educated, but not a diabetes expert. She seems to want to help people be healthier and eat whole foods, etc... and hopes to make a good living doing so at the same time. Innocent enough. I do not take my medical advice from bloggers. I read, and look into it further on my own, discuss with familiar folks(maybe here, or elsewhere) and with my docs.

mi-

Caravaggio

All the talk on animal burps and farts seemed to have got me all excited. Don't ask me why. I'm sure some psychiatrist somewhere has a term for this.

Animal burps and farts causing global warming. Hmmmm, I can't smell the burps and farts, though.

Instead of abstaining from eating meat, the better solution to all this is to kill as many more cows as necessary to reduce the effect of their farting and burping on the environment, and eat them however way we like!

Has anyone ever researched the contribution of man's burping and farting to global warming? I don't have the stats, but surely man outnumbers our bovine food supply (with the possible exception of New Zealand, but I'm happy to be proven wrong here).

Should some young scientists make it a name for themselves in the scientific world by engineering cows that do not burp or fart, or that have reduced burping and farting, or that emit environment-friendly gases?

These thoughts came to mind as I was chewing a piece of dead cow for dinner.

MCS

Heres a solution to all of the animal methane problem

Australian camels could be shot to curb methane - SgLinks.com

Marksmen could be paid to slaughter Australia's vast population of methane-belching camels that roam the Outback as part of an effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. -- PHOTO: AP CANBERRA - MARKSMEN could be paid to slaughter Australia's vast population of methane-belching camels that roam the Outback as part of an effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The government wants the killing of wild camels to be officially registered as a means of reducing Australia's greenhouse gas emissions under a proposed law to be voted on in parliament next week, with the shooters earning so-called carbon credits. If culling is registered, industrial polluters around the world would be able to offset their own carbon emissions by buying carbon credits from the shooters. Lawmaker Mark Dreyfus said Thursday that he hopes attaching carbon credits to each camel killed leads to their ex...

DeusXM
Has anyone ever researched the contribution of man's burping and farting to global warming? I don't have the stats, but surely man outnumbers our bovine food supply (with the possible exception of New Zealand, but I'm happy to be proven wrong here).

Yeah, but no-one's going to touch that one because you end up in Malthusian territory, and suddenly you're evil. In any case, I think the farm animal methane contribution to global warming is overrated because it's inherently amusing and makes good news copy. You'll get vegans telling you that you'll do your bit for the environment if we all stop eating meat. We'd all have a much larger impact on the the environment by having a no-driving day than a no-meat day, but of course that wouldn't fit in the proselytising that can accompany vegetarianism in some individuals.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.