Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smilch75

Type 1, 6 y/o & church festival

smilch75

Hi all,

Need some help. My DD was diagnosed in Jan so we are still a little new at all of this. We went to a church festival yesterday and my dd had blast. First time on some rides and she really enjoyed herself. BUT at 7pm she still wasn't hungry and she hadn't eaten since 2pm (small carb snack). Her sugar at 7:15 was 290. She then ate an huge dinner, was dosed for it and plummeted to 55 before bedtime. I gave her the carbs we always do when she's low & then she went to bed. She then woke in the middle of the night with a small bedwetting accident and then this am her sugar was 297. Her am sugars are always around 100 to 120. So this is crazy. Is it tied to the festival and riding the rides? Her Endo had said awhile back that adrenaline can make BS go high, but still the next day?? Kinda freaking out over here and would love some feedback.

Thanks so much,

Sara

Scratch
Hi all,

Need some help. My DD was diagnosed in Jan so we are still a little new at all of this. We went to a church festival yesterday and my dd had blast. First time on some rides and she really enjoyed herself. BUT at 7pm she still wasn't hungry and she hadn't eaten since 2pm (small carb snack). Her sugar at 7:15 was 290. She then ate an huge dinner, was dosed for it and plummeted to 55 before bedtime. I gave her the carbs we always do when she's low & then she went to bed. She then woke in the middle of the night with a small bedwetting accident and then this am her sugar was 297. Her am sugars are always around 100 to 120. So this is crazy. Is it tied to the festival and riding the rides? Her Endo had said awhile back that adrenaline can make BS go high, but still the next day?? Kinda freaking out over here and would love some feedback.

Thanks so much,

Sara

It's not really possible to say anything definitive with the limited information at hand.

Did her huge dinner have a lot of fat? Fat can delay absorption of carbohydrates, and if you dose for all the carbohydrate when the meal is eaten, the insulin absorbs faster than the carbohydrate is digested, and can cause a low. If you then treat the low, then that carbohydrate plus all the carbohydrate that wasn't digested yet from dinner gets into the bloodstream and can cause a high.

Or let's say there wasn't that much fat with the meal. It's possible her body began responding to the low and the liver had kicked out some glycogen in response to that, and then that combined with the carbs to treat a low caused a spike, which is along the lines of what your endo talked about. All of us type 1s on here have had that sort of experience. You can get a roller coaster effect going, you just have to ride it out as best you can and patiently try to bring things back into a more normal rhythm.

There are other sorts of possibilities too, but those 2 I've talked about are the ones which seem most likely to me.

TommyC1
You can get a roller coaster effect going, you just have to ride it out as best you can and patiently try to bring things back into a more normal rhythm.

Yep, Sometimes it doesn't make a lot of sense. So long as things come back to normal I would not worry about it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.