Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shebalib

Another lisinopril question

Shebalib

I did a search on linsinopril but still feel the need to put out this question.

I am 40, have excellant blood pressure (102/62), no heart disease, etc. My A1c is 5.9 and have lost about 60 pounds in the last year. Just had labs done and my cholesterol is great, my creatine levels are very good, etc. (I'd have to go back and look them up, but I was in the low ranges.)

Because I am 40 my doc wants to start me on linsinopril (5mg) and baby aspirin to help against kidney failure and heart attack - although I don't show any clues that I am headed that way.

I'm not sure if I want to take this. I've read about the side effects. If my blood pressure is already good, why take this and possibly suffer dizziness, etc. I understand to take it to help avoid issues later. But if I am in good control, which I am, I'm not sure that I want to take something else.

I already had the pharmacist call me today to see how the dose was (was supposed to take it starting last Thursday). I let her know that I haven't taken it yet because I wanted to read more and didn't want to be dizzy while I am traveling.

Thoughts?

janice21475

Shortly after I was put on Lisinopril I started coughing. Before I quit the pills, I practically coughed up a lung. Bad stuff. My BP is great now and I take nothing.

My Mother coughed for years, I kept telling her it was the BP meds. Finally I sent her a list of every BP med that could cause coughing. She printed it and took it in to her Dr. They changed her meds and the cough let up. Of course, her cough has more than one cause but at least that one is gone.

Bad pills. Be careful,

Janice

Mich

Hi Shebalib and Janice,

The evidence is so strong for prevention of kidney disease in people with diabetes, there is a good case for taking ACE inhibitors or ARBs. There are several diiferent ACE inhibitors and several different ARBs. If one makes you cough, ask to try a different one. I have been taking them since the 1980s, working through any problems with coughing.

ACE Inhibitor Prevents Early Sign of Kidney Disease

It's a very small incovenience to prevent a much larger (and possibly fatal) one. It works for both T1 and T2.

Best to both of you, Mich

morrisma

I agree with Janice. I started coughing and read somewhere it was a fairly common side effect of lisinopril. I stopped taking it very quickly.

Mike

Shebalib

Ok, but does that mean that we are all meant to get on this, or other ACE, in time? I know there are reasons to NOT wait until my numbers start going in the bad way in terms of kidney function - but everything is cool right now. Still nervous about this.

The clinical pharmist called me to see how I was doing on this. Told her I wasn't taking them yet. I feel like I'm being pushed on this just because I am 40 and diabetic - not because it is necessary.

janice21475
. . . . I feel like I'm being pushed on this just because I am 40 and diabetic - not because it is necessary.

Follow the money. . ., then again, I am a little cynical.

Sneezer

I am a retired pharmacist. I offer this as information only - not as advice. Always discuss your concerns and any information you have learned with your physician. Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor. This class of drugs and the ARBs are blood pressure medications that not only lower blood pressure but help protect the kidneys from dumping protein in the urine. Even if you have good blood pressure, at the first sign of protein in the urine (microalbuminuria - which is why they frequently want us to give urine samples at our visits) the doctor may want you on one of these drugs to protect your kidneys.

The ACE inhibitors, lisinopril more than others, can cause a dry persistent unproductive cough. If you experience this let your doctor know. Your doctor may want to change it to an ARB. There are generic drugs in each of these classes. The ARBs are much less likely to cause cough. I was on lisinopril and got the dreaded cough and was changed to an ARB and the cough went away completely.

Many times the dizziness some experience goes away after being on the drug a while.

aggie168

Yes, Lisinopril do cause dry cough for me and my doctor switch me over to Benicar (ARB). I do not cough anymore.

The better question to ask yourself is do you want to risk not taking it until "bad" signs start to show up on lab test???

No one can give you any arguement nor anything you can read can give you definitive answer. You just have to decide for youself :)

Jeff1945

I've had Lisinopril added to my regiment of drugs "to protect my kidneys". After renal failure 4 years ago and having a Nephrologist restore my kidneys to full function in 3 days, I don't question what she prescribes unless I have a reaction to it. Lisinopril does not make me cough or cause any side effects that I am aware of. I now take a "cocktail" of meds to control my blood pressure, as I have been on meds for high blood pressure for 33 years. I take 400mg of Labetalol twice a day, 30 mg of lisinopril twice a day, 12.5mg hydrochlorothiazide and 100mg of losartin. 2 of these blood pressure meds "protect my kidneys." My kidneys "leak" some protein but it's getting better all the time. I take a lot of meds. I guess my pancrease doesn't work well at all because I also take Creon to aid in my digestion. I take a lot of it and I don't know why. I'm getting ready to change to a different Gastroenterologist who might be able to answer that question since he did an ultrasound of my pancrease a couple years ago from the inside. That was something that was first done at the Mayo Clinic, but if it's done there, it's done here in Houston at the Texas Medical Center.

Shebalib

Thank you all. Sneezer, I will have to check what my output was recently. I don't think it was worrisome at all. I'll be writing the pharmacist in the next week. Basically I was told "everything is great, but you should take this". I guess I'm still feeling a little put out about that.

Richard157

I have taken Altace and Losartan, in different decades, for BP and kidney protection. My blood tests have never shown my kidneys to have any problems, even though I have been type 1 for 65 years. Both of those meds caused me to have dizziness, but my doctor still insisted I take them. My GP/internist prescribed the meds.

I asked my endo about my dizziness problem. She prescribed Lisinopril, the lowest dose. I have been on Lisinopril for 3 weeks and my dizziness has improved so very much, and my BP is good too. I have had no coughing problem on any of these BP meds. Lisinopril is very good for me. It is a low dose, but my endo says it is enough to protect my kidneys.

Since your BP is good and there is no kidney problem, you should be given the lowest dose. That will be less likely to cause you any side effects.

Shebalib

Well, I went off of it. I was coughing and exhausted. Ran out of the meds (lowest dose) and was with no medicine for a week. Immediate improvement! Went back on and was tired and coughing again. Told my doc, too bad, going off.

Just talked to the pharmacist and doc wants me to try Losaran, 20mgs. That is a low dose. Trying to decide on this now. Still, with my risk so low I'm not convinced I SHOULD take it now. If I take it and have no kidney problems for years that doesn't necessarily mean it was the meds.

Ugh. Too much to think about this afternoon.

Cora

I first went on an ACE in the very early days. I already had kidney damage and it was a new therapy. I'm convinced that it was the ACE that allowed me many decades before I needed dialysis, instead of the average of 5 years. I didn't have problems with a cough when I went on Lisinopril but had big problems with another ACE. Sometimes just switching types will help. The DCCT showed that tight control helps prevent kidney disease, but not by as much as other things are prevented. So there seems to be something else going on when it comes to issues with the kidneys. If you have no side effects after trying one or two (there is always a learning curve) I would stick with it. If it turns into a drug induced misery, then don't take it. But it's always good to try to protect what is healthy. That's just my opinion. Believe me, yoiu don't want kidney damage - it's not a lot of fun.

Cora

notme

I have been taking Lotensin for about five years and was on another ACE before that. I have never taken Lisinapril. I have suffered with some low blood pressure in the past, but my doctor does not seem very concerned. I have had type one for 24 years with no kidney damage so far.

Chanson13

I've been on lisinopril for 20 years, and never had a problem with the cough. I know some people do. My BP has never been very high, but it was prescribed in order to prevent kidney issues. I have had Type 1 for 35 years now and no sign of kidney problems (or retinopathy, for that matter).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.