Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MeganType1

worried about complications due to lows

MeganType1

Hey everyone!

I'm totally new to the whole forum thing. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how low blood sugars effect the baby. I've done a ton of research on pregnancy and diabetes and have found a tons of information on how bad it is to be high during pregnancy, but have found little information on how lows effectbthe baby. I'm in my 11th week now and have had quite a few severe low blood sugar readings. I'm in great control otherwise (a1c- 5.5). My doctor says she worries about my lows because I have had quite a few under 40. I guess I have been trying to run lower as apposed to higher just because everything you read about highs tends to be awful and scary! I guess I'm hoping someone out there was pregnant and had some lows and can tell me they delivered a perfectly healthy baby. This would make me sleep much better at night. I just wish that there was more research on the effects of lows. Any thoughts? I'm a worried first timer and almost through my first trimester. Thanks!

aiah23
Hey everyone!

I'm totally new to the whole forum thing. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how low blood sugars effect the baby. I've done a ton of research on pregnancy and diabetes and have found a tons of information on how bad it is to be high during pregnancy, but have found little information on how lows effectbthe baby. I'm in my 11th week now and have had quite a few severe low blood sugar readings. I'm in great control otherwise (a1c- 5.5). My doctor says she worries about my lows because I have had quite a few under 40. I guess I have been trying to run lower as apposed to higher just because everything you read about highs tends to be awful and scary! I guess I'm hoping someone out there was pregnant and had some lows and can tell me they delivered a perfectly healthy baby. This would make me sleep much better at night. I just wish that there was more research on the effects of lows. Any thoughts? I'm a worried first timer and almost through my first trimester. Thanks!

the only times lows pose a hazard to your baby are if you lose consciousness. I did this once very early in pregnancy, the day before I knew I was pregnant. I had plenty of lows during the first 28ish weeks. my baby's NICU stay was unrelated to my diabetes and he's healthy now. During development, your baby takes up all the glucose it needs before priority is given to stabilizing you, which is why you can drop so quickly. kudos on your a1c, you've got some flexibility and your 1st trimester is the time to take advantage of that! Enjoy some sweets b/c you won't get to by your 3rd trimester.

Fawn

MeganType1

Fawn,

Thank you SO much for your response! You literally just made my whole day! I've been losing sleep worrying about my lows. Its crazy how little research there is out there on low glucose readings as apposed to high. I had a feeling if I joined on here that there had to be someone else who had lows like me. Thank you so much for sharing and Congrats to you on a successful pregnancy with your son!

Steal

Megan,

I am now in my second pregnancy and experienced the same thing both times. I wanted to keep my sugars in such tight control that I found I was getting low often. This second time around, I have done a bit better about preventing some lows, but sometimes it is impossible. It is scary, but my first daughter is 11.5 months and is just perfect. I was always taught that the highs cause more complications in the beginning and most docs worry about the lows and how they affect the mommy. (This is what I was taught for the first trimester and during the third trimester, the doctors seem more nervous about the lows. Higher numbers just start to happen and it is about trying to stay on top of the increase.) During the first trimester doctors always brought that up as a fear with lows, they seemed to be fearful of passing out even though I have never done that my whole life. Anyway, I had plenty and my baby is happy and healthy. I am now almost 30 weeks along with baby #2 and still have had some lows, not as many, but I am much less worried with this pregnancy, having seen a happy, healthy and super smart girl come out from pregnancy #1. I hope this helps and I totally understand the fears. You are just trying to be a good mom.

-Steph

Type 1 since age 6 (25 years)

Insulin Pump User (13 years)

Daughter #1: 11.5 months

Daughter #2: 30 weeks along in Pregnancy

Most recent A1C: 5.1%

Scheduled C-Section in 8 weeks

Full Time Teacher - Off for the summer!

SarahMalta

Hello,

I am now 12 wks and 6 days pregnant and have had terrible lows too.

Yesterday I spent the whole day under 63 (3.5), I just couldn't bring my sugars up. I ate ice-cream, custard, Milk shake, Juice, Nutella spread you name it, nothing seemed to work at all. In the evening I checked before dinner however and it had then rose to a 129 (7.2). The strange thing is that I did not give myself anymore insulin than usual.

Has anyone had such persistant lows?

I have had quite a lot of lows in the past 10 weeks, and the ultrasound I had 2 weeks ago showed that the baby was strong, growing at a normal pace and also had normal fetal movements and heart rate.

My doc also is worried about the lows, however she said that the danger is when you are unconcious, as long as you take immediate action then you and baby should be alright.

It is a worry and I find myself apologizing to my bump for all the lows.

Sarah

Type 1 for 19 years

Pregnancy #1: 12 wks 6 days

Lizzie G
Hello,

I am now 12 wks and 6 days pregnant and have had terrible lows too.

Yesterday I spent the whole day under 63 (3.5), I just couldn't bring my sugars up. I ate ice-cream, custard, Milk shake, Juice, Nutella spread you name it, nothing seemed to work at all. In the evening I checked before dinner however and it had then rose to a 129 (7.2). The strange thing is that I did not give myself anymore insulin than usual.

Has anyone had such persistant lows?

I have had quite a lot of lows in the past 10 weeks, and the ultrasound I had 2 weeks ago showed that the baby was strong, growing at a normal pace and also had normal fetal movements and heart rate.

My doc also is worried about the lows, however she said that the danger is when you are unconcious, as long as you take immediate action then you and baby should be alright.

It is a worry and I find myself apologizing to my bump for all the lows.

Sarah

Type 1 for 19 years

Pregnancy #1: 12 wks 6 days

sorry to hear about all the lows; are you not adjusting your insulin accoridngly? it sounds like you need to. i adjusted downwards quite frequently in the first trimester, whenever i got persistent and pesky lows x

ErniB

All my docs are more concerned about highs, but i worry about the lows too! I'm in my 9th week, and have had to reduce my basal insulin by about half, and I am also only using about 1/6th of bolus insulin, sometimes none. I find that even without bolusing, I can end up in the 3's (definitely still honeymooning though, only dx about 8 mths ago). Today though, I was in the 5's all day (even 2hrs after meal), and I didn't bolus at all. I eat low carb, sometimes no carb, depending on meal. I find that by testing every couple of hours (and once or twice during the night too, when I'm up for a wee anyway), I can see what's going on, and I can correct early if needed (ie: eat sugar or give insulin). Just test test and more test, and carry hypo stashes everywhere you go - a variety if you can; I got well sick of jellybeans the other day, made me feel sick from all the sugar I'm not really used to. All the best!

Steal

Sarah,

I would agree with your doctor and if you have adjusted, then that is what you can do and continue to do. Sometimes the persistent lows happen at particular times in the day. for me that was mid afternoon and I needed almost no insulin from 1pm-4pm. It was crazy! It was at the end of my teaching day and I would always drop no matter what I ate. I just had to get used to it and try to eat to prevent it. I started eating a piece of fruit and then crackers with peanut butter. Then I would test every 30min-1hr and see if I was dropping or staying stable. I was still low without insulin and it wasn't my carb ratio from lunch because I would eat at 11am and be great for the next 2 hours. So, it was just a natural dip in the body and I had to work around it. That has since changed, as I am 30 weeks along and require more now.

-Steph

Type 1 since age 6 (25 years)

Insulin Pump User (13 years)

Daughter #1: 11.5 months

Daughter #2: 30 weeks along in Pregnancy

Most recent A1C: 5.6%

Scheduled C-Section in 8 weeks

Full Time Teacher - Off for the summer!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.