Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barbieguy

Glucose Meter

barbieguy

I would like to purchase a glucose meter to check my blood sugar. I know what my fasting blood sugar should be. I don't know what my other sugar levels should be---before meals or after meals, etc.

I tested at 123 for a fasting blood sugar at the hospital. All my doctor told me was to lose weight.

Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Barbieguy

liz32

Hey Barbieguy, sometimes where you end up after eating depends on where you were before you start. I always aim to be less than 8 (144) two hours after a meal. If I can do that, then my sugars are fine before the next meal, for me that's usually are 5.8 (104). and my last A1c was 5.9 so it seems to be working for me but as always, everything is different for eash person. Just use it as a ballpark area to begin with.

Belinda

Yes we are all different....if you want to check your BS....then you can start out by checking before meals and two hours after also you can try 3 hours after and up to 4. I find that depending on the food how mine goes up at various stages. If all he said was to lose weight then by all means give it your best shot....because I am sure you don't want to start meds and all the other fun stuff that goes along with diabetes.

mg_2204

... my doc told me that I shouln't worry too much about my levels before meals. I am not on insulin and my levels are quite stable, that's why. Out of curiosity sometimes I will check before a meal but it happens very seldom. Important ones I keep an eye (or two :cool: ) : fasting sugars and 2 hours after a meal.

As you are pre-diabetic, I don't know if it's a good idea to test all the time, every single day. It is really easy to obsess about testing. I could write a book about it... :hahaha:

The very best to you.

Harold

Just guessing here. After you get up less than a 100 and two hours after meals less than 120. Unless you A1c still shows an increase before meal readings are not that meaningfull. The reason you see so many taking before meal readings comes from taking insulin. They need to know where they are at plus figure out what they are eating so they know how much insulin to take. Now if your going 6 hours between meals try taking a couple of before meal readings and if your over say 120 you probably need to have a snack between meals.

poidog

I used to check my fasting and after meal (2 hrs) routinely. My diabetes instructor told me to change it up time to time i.e. pre/post workout, on/off medication, after certain kinds of meals, high or low in carbs or sugar. This will give you some idea of how your body is responding to diet, exercise, or meds. You will gain tighter control of your BGLs, and know what things work best to bring the levels down.

For me, exercise works best. So it's good because it encourages me to exercise more. Not that diet or meds are less important, they are. But I know for my body, nothing can beat exercise for stabilizing my BG.

For the past two weeks, because of exercise (weight training included), I am now in the so called normal range, 80-115 sometimes peaking at 122 (that's after birthday cake and ice cream). I'm pretty sure the exercise has something to do with that. Praise God!

Well, I hope this helps you out a bit. I have a One Touch Ultra BTW. Works great. Pain free and quick. I encourage you to go to the classes if you haven't done so yet. They will cover all the various meters out there, and one that will best fit your needs. Take care.

Dewey
I would like to purchase a glucose meter to check my blood sugar. I know what my fasting blood sugar should be. I don't know what my other sugar levels should be---before meals or after meals, etc.

I tested at 123 for a fasting blood sugar at the hospital. All my doctor told me was to lose weight.

Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Barbieguy

Hi Barbieguy,

I agree with the others who've said each person is different. In terms of fasting glucoses, standard fasting norms are in the range of 70 to 105. Previously, the standard fasting norms were: 80 to 120. After meals, it does vary, so it's hard to say if a 140 (for example) is ok or not. 123 is not bad, but it may be best to keep an eye on your levels for a while. There's nothing wrong with checking sugar levels as you see fit, especially if you want to keep a watch on things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.