Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lg68jcu

Breakfast help for my 2 Year Old

lg68jcu

Hi Guys and Gals,

This is my first post and I hope everyone is doing well. Background info- My son went into DKA @ 11 months and its been a tough 15 months since but things are getting better by the month but we are still struggling the most in the mornings with managing his BG levels. Its maddening at times. I have done research on the dawn effect etc. but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep his BG from spiking so badly after break fast. He'll start the morning at 150 -175 and then 2 hours later be darn near 300. I keep increasing his I:C ratio on his pump (20 grams of carbs per unit of insulin) and his basal rates, pre bolusing half his meal etc. but I have not seen that much of an improvement. His I:C throughout the remainder of the day is between 30:1 to 40:1 depending on the meal and is pretty effective. His basal rates are also about double what they are than in the afternoon. He has been on a multigrain cherios addiction lately so he has been having that with a couple turkey sausage links for a total of 16 carbs for breakfast.

I know there isnt a perfect answer or solution and this is probably a question better directed towards the docs but I am open to food suggestions or any other feedback. I have been around diabetes long enough to know that you can do everything right and end up results that leave you dumbfounded and makes no sense whatsoever so at least I have come to grips with that.

GrammaBear

I can't speak for anyone but myself, however dry cereal like cheerios will spike me every single time I eat it. At age 2 it is really hard to get them to eat anything sometimes...right? Would he be open to eating yogurt - say vanilla? My grandson, who is much older, is the world's pickiest eater. But...he will eat yogurt and turkey sausages for breakfast and seems to thrive on it.

Cluck

Are you using a square wave bolus for breakfast? I find that any cereal will continue to raise my BGs for much longer than nearly any other food. With a square wave/combo bolus some of the insulin is delivered immediately and the rest is spaced out over say 2.5 hours.

Might be worth asking your son's endo about this.

e||ement

i agree in that cereal spikes me...and then i usually get rebound hypos.

what about making him something like sweet potato pancakes (you can make a batch and freeze it and pop in the toaster) or cheesy eggs? there is also a cool recipe for a banana omelet (it's basically eggs, banana, cream cheese, butter...sounds gross but is TASTY).

you could also try fruit smoothies? or scrambled eggs with cheese?

good luck...!

MalcomSteve
Hidden

I have become very conscious due to age of your kid.In this age ,the diet plan should be discussed with a quality doctor or dietitian.Its quite better to ask from a doc than us.Please do not mind this.

MalcomSteve
Hidden
I have become very conscious due to age of your kid.In this age ,the diet plan should be discussed with a quality doctor or dietitian.Its quite better to ask from a doc than us.Please do not mind this.

International Franchises

Steal
Hi Guys and Gals,

This is my first post and I hope everyone is doing well. Background info- My son went into DKA @ 11 months and its been a tough 15 months since but things are getting better by the month but we are still struggling the most in the mornings with managing his BG levels. Its maddening at times. I have done research on the dawn effect etc. but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep his BG from spiking so badly after break fast. He'll start the morning at 150 -175 and then 2 hours later be darn near 300. I keep increasing his I:C ratio on his pump (20 grams of carbs per unit of insulin) and his basal rates, pre bolusing half his meal etc. but I have not seen that much of an improvement. His I:C throughout the remainder of the day is between 30:1 to 40:1 depending on the meal and is pretty effective. His basal rates are also about double what they are than in the afternoon. He has been on a multigrain cherios addiction lately so he has been having that with a couple turkey sausage links for a total of 16 carbs for breakfast.

I know there isnt a perfect answer or solution and this is probably a question better directed towards the docs but I am open to food suggestions or any other feedback. I have been around diabetes long enough to know that you can do everything right and end up results that leave you dumbfounded and makes no sense whatsoever so at least I have come to grips with that.

For me, I have to try very low carb in the morning if it is something that is really effecting me. I eat an omelet with cheese and veggies- virtually no carbs. I usually try something like this for a while, while I am trying to adjust my basal rate and make sure that what is affecting me is my food and not the basal rate. I love cereal, but there are times when I just can't handle it.

Also, I have 8 different basals depending on the time of day and the same amount of C:I ratios. This may be more difficult to determine for your little one, but it might be something to start to explore. Mornings are always the toughest time.

Hope this helps.

luyoungrn

The yogurt idea is a good one. Try freezing it a bit so it seems like icecream and drop a few (2 or 3) blueberries or a very tiny piece of fruit in it for taste improvement

lg68jcu

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the input. He likes Yogart allot and actually isnt picky so maybe I will try that and go from there.... But he has my appetite and is an absolute bottomless pit. He has only not finished a meal 2-3 times ever!

We are still battling the mornings but they gave gotten a little better as of late. We have really had to ramp up his basal and I:C ratio for breakfast. We are still not there yet. Jack LOVES his Multigrain Cherrios and Milk (15 total grams (2oz. milk and 15g in cereal) / 16 total carbs with his 2 turkey sausage links). I think I would crush his spirit if I changed it on him. Its something he looks forward to every morning. Right now his basal rates are .325 units an hour until 10 and then they decrease throughout the day all the way to .025 at night. His morning I:C ratio is 1 unit of unsulin for every 17 carbs (His snack, lunch and dinner I:C ratio is 1:30 give to take 2). Its wild how much different the mornings are for him. He usually wakes up between 140-160 (150 target) and has snack 2-2.5 hours later. We have been strggling with mid to upper 200's @ snack time and its maddening but we just continue to do our best. The last couple days after the last wave of changes he has ranged between 179 & 225 (Thank goodness). Still have a bit of work to do but we are getting there. Thanks again for your suggestions!!!

We have the Walk to Cure Diabetes This weekend at the Cleveland Zoo. I am looking forward to it!!!!

jenet

I don't really have any suggestions as I've never been a parent, but I wanted to say how wonderful that you have a pump for Jack, and use it to try and manage his BGs. Also, even as an adult, it is not uncommon to have basal rates vary by 100% or more. Right now, my lowest basal is .425 and my highest is .850. Also like Jack, my highest rate is early to mid-morning.

Jack is lucky to have such a great mom!

YellowBear

This must be a challenge, I mean it's hard for me to find a good breakfast for myself sometimes!

I'd give up the cheerios for starters. Like others have said, that would spike me up the wazoo. I'd suggest plain yogurt if he's willing. Another suggestion I have is to completely change the idea of breakfast. Since he's only 2, he might not have the understanding in his head about what is a breakfast food and what is not. If he's willing, I'd try some bean soups, some yummy veggies, and any kind of meat (the sausages are good), but make sure they have NO sugar added.

Not sure if that makes sense for a 2 year old, since I've never taken care of a tyke that little, but just my two cents :).

YellowBear

jojeti

I make low carb pancakes that are very tasty and sweet tasting. I bet he would like those. The recipe is 3 oz cream cheese beat into 2 eggs until smooth (I always end up with some cream cheese lumps but it makes no difference). Add 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tbls. sugarfree maple syrup (Hungry Jack brand is best). Put some butter in a frying pan, melt it and add some batter and fry on med/low heat for 4 min. and flip for another minute. They are the best pancakes! I bet he would love them.

Chaseg08

Although I am the diabetic, my girls love my almond pancakes. I have posted the recipe in the recipe section and many others have posted their variations.

CAGrandma

Why only pre-bolus for half the meal? My understanding is that it is better to pre-bolus for the entire amount of carbs, plus BG correction, and then serve the food since it takes the insulin a while to get working. Obviously this is a problem if all the carbs you bolus for aren't eaten, but it doesn't sound like that is the situation here.

LadyRenegade

Kashi Go Lean Crisp is a favorite amongst all 3 of my kids. A good amount of protein and plenty of fiber to balance the carbs.

Pre-bolus for the morning BG + the Cheerios is a good idea since you say he is guaranteed to eat his portion. If you think it is an issue with the speed of the carb absorption vs. insulin, you could try adding a soluble fiber (we've used Benefiber) to the milk before adding to the cereal. If fats are not a dietary issue, perhaps choose 1%, 2% or whole milk over fat-free. Fats will also dampen a BG spike.

You might be seeing the combined effects of the I:C being off, not enough basal, and maybe a growth spurt. Teething can really do a number on the BGs too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.