Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MelissaDawn

"Natural" Birth - Success Stories?

MelissaDawn

So I'm just about 28 weeks pregnant and everything is progressing beautifully. My body is responding well to everything, my diabetes is in good check, and my babies growth and size are right on target. (Yay!)

I have tried to keep an open mind about what my actual delivery will include, but intend to plan for as much of an unmedicated birth as possible. I realize there are a lot of extenuating circumstances that may be outside of my control, but I want to control what I can.

I started a Hypnobirthing class this week to prepare for a natural birth if that option presents itself to me. I'm curious about other diabetics birthing experiences and if any have successfully birthed their baby without medication. Please share your thoughts! Thanks!

Lizzie G

i take it you are type 1?

well, im 31 weeks and like you have kept my condition very tightly controlled and currently everything is going well. i plan not to have the induction and hideously over-medicalised labour and delivery that i believe not to be necessary (unless something major changes) in my case.

so, i havent actually gone through it yet, but am here as a fellow 'fighting the system' mum to be and if you need a support buddy or someone to bounce ideas and arguments off, im here!

Stroupie

I am about 23 weeks pregnant, type 1 as well. I also do not have a previous birth experience to tell you about but I am also "fighting" the system to have a natural non-medicated birth experience. My current approach is to be very well educated, I've hired a doula, and I changed Dr's to a regular OB instead of the high risk Dr. I decided to change after my Dr. practically patted my head and told me to stop asking so many questions and just "enjoy" being pregnant. I decided that not only was I not going to stop asking questions I did not want to be with a high risk Dr. since I have great HbA1c and work closely with my endocrinologist. My husband and I are taking Bradley Birthing classes and I am desperately trying to avoid the induction for birth weight. I am always excited to hear about other diabetics who are interested in avoiding medical interventions.

Lizzie G
I am about 23 weeks pregnant, type 1 as well. I also do not have a previous birth experience to tell you about but I am also "fighting" the system to have a natural non-medicated birth experience. My current approach is to be very well educated, I've hired a doula, and I changed Dr's to a regular OB instead of the high risk Dr. I decided to change after my Dr. practically patted my head and told me to stop asking so many questions and just "enjoy" being pregnant. I decided that not only was I not going to stop asking questions I did not want to be with a high risk Dr. since I have great HbA1c and work closely with my endocrinologist. My husband and I are taking Bradley Birthing classes and I am desperately trying to avoid the induction for birth weight. I am always excited to hear about other diabetics who are interested in avoiding medical interventions.

Good for you! Just to warn you though....the induction isnt really about birth weight in most cases, its about the increased risk of placental degradation with diabetes. Im now 33 weeks and the argument is full swing. my point is that with an HbA1C below 6% throughout pregnancy (and currently less than 5.5) that my body conceived and has grown a baby in a physiologically 'normal' environment, and that the risk of micro-vascular damage to the placenta (caused by elevated blood sugars) is virtually non existent and more comparable to a non-diabetic woman than someone with an HbA1C of 6.5-7.0 (what they class as 'good' control: i disagree. my highest ever was 6.6 and this included plenty of what i would call 'diabetic' sugars). anyhow, they will not conceded that my risk is minimal and every time i see them talk about stillbirth and how any diabetic woman who chooses not to be induced is lucky if her baby doesnt die. please dont allow yourself to be manipulated by these type of tactics. the fact is, someone with average diabetes control has a 5 times greater likelihood of a stillbirth (between weeks 24-40). this equates to about 1 in 1000 women. there is no way someone with excellent control has a risk even approaching this level so its still extremely unlikely, and they are just trying to scare you into following 'standard' procedure. the other thing i have noticed with this whole process, is that sadly the bar is so low. people who conceive with excellently controlled diabetes and maintain that control are far outnumbered by those with poor control at conception (the single biggest predictor of poor pregnancy outcome), and the medics we deal with just do not have enough experience of people like us to be able to say 'yes, your risk is negligible, our advice has to be to advise you to be induced early, but in reality you are probably safe to go full term if you do so at your own risk'...

re the high risk doctor thing. i had enormous fun with that too. in the UK it works slightly differently in that you dont really choose your own doctor, you are automatically put into the 'diabetes and pregnancy' clinic. this generally involves seeing a diabetes doctor who lectures you and your husband about how you are going to start having dangerous hypos and will need to be revived, waiting around another half an hour and seeing a couple of midwives and sometimes an obstetrician, who basically do the things a normal midwife would do. they generally try to make most people come in every 1-2 weeks as most of their patients are too stupid to adjust their own insulin. anyhow, having had a previous pregnancy i knew how un-necessary all this garbage was for me and my baby so tried to opt out. i was then threatened with them calling social care, on the grounds that i wasnt looking out for the interests of my baby (this still makes my blood boil, there are people with such disgraceful control conceiving every day and they are never threatened with this because they comply with the procedures). anyhow, i bascially couldnt opt out, but have managed to reduce these visits down to about once a month. and still they are a total waste of time, i rarely see the diabetes doctor as theres no point my numbers speak for themselves, and when i see the diabetes midwives and obs, all they do is take my blood pressure (normal), test my urine for protein etc (normal), ie all the things a normal midewife would do, so an utter waste of time.

things are stepping up in stress and contention now as we get to a point where we are arguing about the birth. i cant even write any more about it because it makes my blood boil. for the next pregnancy i will be paying to hire a private midwife from start to finish and have a homebirth. i will be prepared for the threats of social care but will have a barrage of evidence in the form of this pregnancy behind me.

Nemchenk

Hello everyone,

Very interested to read your experiences Lizzie G. I am type 1 at 34 weeks now and also in the UK and begining the fight for a home birth. We have decided to hire an independent midwife team of two in order to get the support we need to avoid induction at 38 weeks or in fact any visit to hospital if pos. Was not aware of the possible threat of social workers as well! Does that not run contrary to the legal rights of the mother to choose where she gives birth or is it more scare tatics to achieve compliance?

So far every appointment I have been to has been them avoiding of birth plan conversations (wait until 36 weeks), or a catalogue of risks and "we're going to induce at 38 weeks, hospital policy", no discussion. I have written to say I want a home birth and I am expecting a lot of negative responses from the hospital team any day now...

Nice to know I am not alone

JennaEllis

I'm 32 weeks pregnant had fantastic control right through with hba1c below 6 but I've still got a large baby!! Well I'm booked in for c section at 37 weeks, I would have loved to have a "normal birth" but I had to have an emergency c section 16 months ago with my daughter due to going into labour 2 months early and signs of placenta not working properly, I nearly lost her and she spent a while in intensive care....so this time they've said it's safer and best for me to have another section couple of weeks early, I'm listening to the docs and going with wot they suggest they did a fantastic job with looking after me and my little girl last time :)

drummingfool

My wife birthed our last two, now 1 .5 years and 11 weeks respectively, all natural. Did a water birth both times.

I will say this: we prepped and prepped, but when the time came, all that went out the window. She just did what came naturally. It was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen... twice. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Diabetes forums

-Lee-B

Ok, Stupid question. Does being induced mean you have to have all the pain drugs? Does it mean c-section?

I am only 19 weeks so haven't started asking too many labor questions at my appointments. I have been told to ready to be induced 2 weeks early, though it is done case by case not automatically at my hospital. But...I really have little idea what it means when they say be ready for being induced inregards to what delivery will look like!

aiah23
Ok, Stupid question. Does being induced mean you have to have all the pain drugs? Does it mean c-section?

I am only 19 weeks so haven't started asking too many labor questions at my appointments. I have been told to ready to be induced 2 weeks early, though it is done case by case not automatically at my hospital. But...I really have little idea what it means when they say be ready for being induced inregards to what delivery will look like!

No, being induced does not mean pain drugs. It means you are given a medication that will cause or increase your contractions. If your body fails to go into labor, they will try alternative methods or, if the baby is responding poorly to the induction, they will discuss an elective c-section. If you ask or sign an ok for pain meds, they will offer them. If your health or the baby's vitals suddenly drop, you're in for an emergency c-section. HTH!

Fawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.