Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PinkRose

Advanced glycation end-products (AGEs)

PinkRose

I've been doing some research on glycation, which is the process by which diabetics can develop complications & accelerated aging (yikes!). On wikipedia on this subject there is mention of several "glycation inhibitors" namely benfotiamine, pyridoxamine, pimagedine, alpha-lipoic acid, taurine, aminoguanidine, aspirin carnosine, resveratrol, and Alagebrium. Of course our main line of defence is healthy blood glucose control but I am left thinking that there must be a whole lot more that diabetics can take as a preventative measure. For example, I've always heard of alpha lipoic acid as being some miracle antioxidant but I didn't quite know that it can reduce AGEs in the body. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's researched this and has some useful information about how to reduce unhealthy glycation in the body through means other than simply BG control.

xMenace

I minimize my fructose and dairy intake.

Glycation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It appears that fructose and galactose have approximately ten times the glycation activity of glucose, the primary body fuel.[6]

---------------------------------------

An important impact of glycation: What is MGmin LDL Cholesterol & why does it want to kill you?

PinkRose

So does that mean that fruit and dairy products should be eliminated from the diet? Though I don't eat much fruit, I don't limit dairy products (esp cheese). Is that a big no-no?

There are diffirent implications for diet if you're a T1 compared to a T2. For example carbs is not the enemy as such for a T1 with no weight issues. Control of BG levels is the real enemy. But carbs is a major consideration for a T2. I tend to get a bit nervous whenever I'm led down the standard T2 low carb diet ... Is this type of diet what works for you?

I minimize my fructose and dairy intake.

Glycation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It appears that fructose and galactose have approximately ten times the glycation activity of glucose, the primary body fuel.[6]

---------------------------------------

An important impact of glycation: What is MGmin LDL Cholesterol & why does it want to kill you?

xMenace
So does that mean that fruit and dairy products should be eliminated from the diet?

Mother nature has a way of packaging good with bad. Fruit comes with anti-oxidants. Stick with as natural fruit as possible, preferrably grown outdoors subjected to elements. Greenhouse varieties of foods have less nutrients due to less stress. [Michael Pollan in Defense of Food] It's possible, but not proven, that fruitarians and vegetarians in general are creating high risk LDL from high triglyceride levels yet protecting themselves with very high antioxidants.

I minimize carbs from dairy. I still eat cheese, yogurt, and heavy cream.

I am also adding lots of herbs to my food, especially fresh varieties like oregano leaves picked from my lawn before I mow it ;)

PinkRose

I also feel very good about consuming herbs in my diet as well as foods or supplements rich in antioxidants. The latter really makes a difference to my complexion. My skin just looks more radiant, which is such a good sign that it's having a positive effect at cellular level.

PinkRose

After coming across this wikipedia article & reading more on it, I am now convinced that there must be much more we can do to protect ourselves from the insiduous effects of diabetes over time. It is obvious to me that professionals in the medical field do not readily study things like therapeutic doses of certain nutrional supplements that were listed in the article (see above). There is too much bias towards discovering drugs & not enough on non-drug potential treatments. The latter I believe are good preventative measures and I undertand that countries like Germany, Japan & China are far more open to research on these things. If anyone knows more I'd love to hear more on this subject.

Axiom

Consider the example of Benfotiamine, a non-toxic pro-vitamin which research published since the 1980s has shown to block the toxic effects of hyperglycemia in humans, largely by interrupting the biochemical pathways by which excess glucose is metabolized into advanced glycation end-products. Pubmed now lists 69 studies confirming this beneficial effect. Groundbreaking research confirming these results was published in Nature:Medicine in February, 2003 by Professor Michael Brownlee and co-workers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Some then made the obvious call for a large-scale, DCCT-sized study to compare the effects of supplementation with Benfotiamine and strict blood sugar control in two groups of diabetics. If Benfotiamine — which does not require exact dosing to achieve its effects, since its non-toxicity allows it to be used to flood the body with AGE-blocking action, and which does not produce hypoglycemia, since it does not act by changing blood sugar levels — could be demonstrated to yield the same or better results than strict blood sugar control — which requires intensive patient intervention, is at best only approximate in its success, and is potentially harmful or even lethal through hypoglycemia — then that would truly represent a revolution in diabetes treatment. Since the drug is already here and has a well-established safety record, the path to this revolution would have been quick and easy if its effects had been confirmed in such a test.

But here we are, exactly 8 years after that study, and there is no sign of such a simple and crucial test even being planned. Are the financial interests opposing it too strong for it ever to be undertaken.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.