Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duck

Help Me With My Diabetes Tattoo

duck

Alright all,

I am going in tomorrow to get yet another tattoo, and finally, this time, I am getting my Medic Alert tattoo alerting the world that I am a Type 1 Diabetic. It will be very simple, with "TYPE 1" above the medic alert star (called "the star of life", I found out) and "DIABETIC" below it.

HOWEVER:

Is it "Type 1 Diabetic" or "Type 1 Diabetes"? Which one is the proper term?

Weird question, I know. And most of the pictures I see say "diabetic", but suddenly I find myself questioning it?

duck
Type 1 Diabetic describes a person with diabetes.

Type 1 Diabetes describes a condition.

Fair enough. Thanks brother.

duck

By the way, I still tease my wife about this tattoo: when I suggested years ago that I might do this, she replied "Well just watch--you'll do it and then they'll CURE it!"

I was like "****, if that's what it takes, I'll tattoo my forehead!"

ysw

Speaking of tattoo, here's an article Tattoo Tracks Sodium and Glucose via an iPhone - Technology Review from MIT about a research where a nano sensor is be applied (tattooed) to skin and it'll fluoresce when exposed to glucose, among other chemicals. The reader is a camera (here they used a modified camera on an iPhone)

Hang in there folks, there may not be a cure for a while, but incremental improvements in 'Dealing with it' is happening. Now if only if there were some Zero-Carb Fried Rice :)

YSW

Bountyman
Now if only if there were some Zero-Carb Fried Rice.

This nine-step recipe has zero carbs:

1. Rinse the rice in water to get rid of excess starch.

2. For every cup of rice, add 1 1/2 cups water.

3. Bring the rice to boil, uncovered, at medium heat.

4. When boiling, turn the heat down to medium low.

5. Place the lid on the pot, keeping it tilted to allow steam to escape.

6. When you can see holes or "craters" in the rice, put the lid on tight.

7. Turn the heat to low.

8. Simmer for another 15 minutes.

9. Fluff up the rice, take a nice whiff...and then serve it to someone else.

ysw

7. Turn the heat to low.

Bountyman, you had me going all the way to step# 9.25 (Fluff the rice for frying?, typically you want to the rice to be firm, what kind of fried rice does the this guy like?)

sweetblood

7. Turn the heat to low.

****...you had me going for a minute... that was a good one.

ROTF

DeusXM

As a serious point, if you add a good portion of bhut jolokia or naga chilis to the rice (not the wussy habenero or birds-eye chillis), I personally find I hardly need to bolus for fried rice.

duck
As a serious point, if you add a good portion of bhut jolokia or naga chilis to the rice (not the wussy habenero or birds-eye chillis), I personally find I hardly need to bolus for fried rice.

Eesh. I'm sure that is fun the next day (coming out).

duck

Sorry for the large size of these...The kanji (Chinese characters) say "strength and honor". This is not related to the Medic Alert on my wrist, it was just something else I wanted tattooed. :D

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

duck

Yeah, I saw yours somewhere (probably here when I was trying to research the answer to my OP). Very nice, it made me consider adding some blue to my most recent tattoos...but ultimately I stuck to the plan, LOL.

I sort of feel like I am branded now, ha! :eek:

:D

hannah95

i want a hummingbird tattoo when im older with the words strength and hope below it and 28th june 97 (my diagnosis date) . i want it to remind me to be strong when i feel like giving up the hummingbird because its the symbol of diabetes uk :) i didnt want to have the medic alert sign because i have a feeling everybody will ask me about it thats why i have the bracelet

SamanthaBush

My husband had his done like:

Type 1

Diabetic

(med star)

He is so glad he doesn't have to wear his bracelets anymore. Yay for tats :)

Patriots62

I have considered this but it just feels so ...... permanent. I have been lead to believe the T2 diabetes is curable so .... right?? (work with me here folks....gotta have some hope in life)

In actuality, I too have considered this but the question is where to have it? I often have to dress formal (business attire) so the arms are ok but we are also in a corporate world with polo shirts and some folks frown on tats nor am I sure I want it that visible to everyone. Oh the debating in my mind...

isiscrystal
By the way, I still tease my wife about this tattoo: when I suggested years ago that I might do this, she replied "Well just watch--you'll do it and then they'll CURE it!"

I was like "****, if that's what it takes, I'll tattoo my forehead!"

I never wear a medic alert anything for my diabetes. I know it's bad, but I'm just NOT a jewelry person. I've thought about getting a "diabetes" tattoo - but had the same worry that they'd cure it later on and I'd be stuck with the tat. I also feel like getting a diabetes tattoo would make it permanently a part of me. I haven't ruled it out, though...I guess someday it could save my life.

Anyway, I think you're right - I'd do practically anything for a cure. Lol.

Bountyman
I've thought about getting a "diabetes" tattoo - but had the same worry that they'd cure it later on and I'd be stuck with the tat. I also feel like getting a diabetes tattoo would make it permanently a part of me.

Tattoos are a creative endeavor. My first tattoo was on my chest...a set of airborne wings tattooed exactly where they were placed on my class A uniform. I also had my unit Ranger tag, 75th Ranger Regiment out of Fort Benning, Georgia tattooed on my left shoulder done in downtown Columbus. After Special Forces training at Fort Bragg, NC, in 1963, a few of us went downtown and had Special Forces tattooed above our Ranger tat's. They're fairly faded now...but I've never regretted having them done.

If, and when, a cure is found...and you no longer feel that that tat is applicable...you can just have the words 'I used to be...' tattooed over diabetic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.