Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stinastina

Chia Seeds

stinastina

I was just reading an article from dLife that is saying how great chia seeds are for reducing bs #s and how quickly it works. Has anyone tried this or incorporated them into their diet ? I know a lot of folks use flax seeds/oil or ALA.

paraed

I have found they work great for cholesterol...raising the good. They are very high in Omega 2s (One Tablespoon has the equivalent of THREE fish oil tablets) I have found for BG they help if I have a processed food...like white bread...to soften the impact...but, I do not find they make much of a difference overall. HOWEVER, since I am in good control anyway...it is possible I am not seeing the difference.

I will say that they are really good on a sandwich and in a salad. I like to saute them in olive oil. They have no actual flavor in and of themselves...they take on the flavor of what they are sauteed in. I do not do coconut oil (allergies), but I suspect that if you are a coconut lover, they would really add some flavor to them and add to certain foods.

I also put them in yogurt, and saute them with onions when I am making a recipe that calls for that.

The Aztecs made a drink that is popular in that part of the world with them. I tried it, and did not like it. The chia seeds swell when in liquid for a long time. This is why it is suppose to help with BG. It helps prevent some of the carbs from being absorbed. At least that is what is thought.

stinastina

So, Linda, do you notice any difference or is it just one of those preventive measures ?

Paraed, they did mention the swelling liquid in the article and that it helps with appetite control.

The article made some statements like check your bg #s in case you get too low with the seeds/oil/liquid and you may need your meds adjusted. I wondered if they workedd that quickly.

Ela

Thank you for posting this, Stinastina!

I actually looked it up and found some interesting articles:

Chia Seeds, The Ancient Chia Seed - How it Can Benefit Your Health, Healthy Lifestyles

Supports Heart Health

Stabilizes Blood Sugar

Energizing

Anti-Inflammatory Properties

Weight Loss

Detoxification and Elimination....

the list goes on! And it looks just what I need!

Racing to get me some! emoticon-animal-003.gif

Ela

Since I'm on a roll with Chia seeds, here is a pudding recipe, don't know how good it tastes, but seems very easy:

Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding Recipe « Marisa's Kitchen Talk

Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding

Ingredients:

½ cup 35% Whipping cream-heavy cream

1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk

2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 Tbsp splenda

⅓ cup chia seeds

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well blended.

Cover and refrigerator until thick like pudding.

Makes 4 servings

2 net carbs per serving

paraed
So, Linda, do you notice any difference or is it just one of those preventive measures ?

Paraed, they did mention the swelling liquid in the article and that it helps with appetite control.

The article made some statements like check your bg #s in case you get too low with the seeds/oil/liquid and you may need your meds adjusted. I wondered if they workedd that quickly.

The only thing I have really ever seen it do is for mellowing out processed carbs...and it does it right then. For instance, I use to not be able to do the Asiago cheese bread on a Subway sandwich without it making my numbers go to the moon. If I put one tablespoon of chia seeds on the sandwich (gives it a nice crunch, like sesame seeds) I will see less than 120 for my highest number!

I have also used it for one of my favorite breakfasts...biscuits and gravy. I sprinkle them on my biscuits before I pour the gravy over...Again, no problem with numbers, despite the biscuit being made from Bisquick mix (yes, I have tried the Carb control mix, it just is NOT the same).

So, I guess if it was working on your numbers, you would see it immediately, since I see the effect with food right with the meal I use it on.

puzlnut

Does it matter which "Chia Pet" or "Chia head" you get the seeds from??? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;) )

And I agree with the others, Ela---would love to know what you thought of the pudding. You're right---it sure sounds easy. And who can resist chocolate???

poodlebone

On a dare I once added chia seeds to sugar free Jello. They didn't add any extra/weird/unusual taste and the seeds softened so I wasn't eating crunchy Jello. I add them to oatmeal sometimes (alternate with flax seeds).

post-3249-139628778741_thumb.jpg

paraed

My family cannot resist the chia pet song .... so, I never take offense. I think it is kind of funny....

actually, there are different kind of chia seeds (white and black)...and there is a difference price wise, I have found it makes a difference where you get it. I buy online. It is WAY cheaper than the store. By like 6 or more bucks worth!! Nutritionally, I have not seen a difference, and I generally get whatever is cheaper.

And, yes, I LOVE chocolate. I have tried it in Jello sugar free pudding, and I did not care for it. But, I am a texture person, so others might like it.

debbiedoes
Does it matter which "Chia Pet" or "Chia head" you get the seeds from??? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;) )

And I agree with the others, Ela---would love to know what you thought of the pudding. You're right---it sure sounds easy. And who can resist chocolate???

Ch-ch-ch-chia! LOL.

Breezin

I just read the same article today and came here to find the real scoop. It sounds promising. I am interesting in trying anything natural as my dr wants to put me on statins.

Question: Are the black or white seeds better for BG's and cholesterol control? thanks!

paraed
I just read the same article today and came here to find the real scoop. It sounds promising. I am interesting in trying anything natural as my dr wants to put me on statins.

Question: Are the black or white seeds better for BG's and cholesterol control? thanks!

i have used both and found they work equally well...I buy whatever is cheaper.

debbiedoes
Thanks. Now I have that stupid song in my head--along with the other voices. :T

You're welcome, LOL. I couldn't resist.

disgirl

What is the recommended dose for the chia seeds? Like a tablespoon with each meal? What is the nutritional info...amt of carb and fiber per serving? Thanks for the pudding recipe!!

paraed
What is the recommended dose for the chia seeds? Like a tablespoon with each meal? What is the nutritional info...amt of carb and fiber per serving? Thanks for the pudding recipe!!

General serving size is 1 Tablespoon; there is no recommended amount since it is a food...and not a supplement. I take 1 tablespoon a day with my breakfast for my results.

This is coming off the brand Salba package. I buy in bulk now. Again, I go for cheaper. The brand name was like $21 for less than a pound. I can buy online in bulk about $7 a pound! Note, it is also Gluten free for those on gluten free diet.

Calories 65

Total fat 4g

Sat. .4g

Trans 0g

Omega -3 Poly 2740 mg

Omega 6 Poly 760mg

Omega 9 Poly 250 mg

Mono .23g

Cholesterol 0g

Sodium 2mg

Potassium 79mg

Total carbs 4.5g

Dietary fiber 4.1g

Soluble fiber .4g

Insoluble 3.7g

Protein 2.5g

Vit A 1.56 IU

Calcium 92.4 mg

Riboflavin .02mg

Vit b6 .012mg

Vit b12 0mg

Pantothenate .07mg

Magnesium 45.6mg

Copper .2mg

Molybdenum .02mg

Selenium <.012mg

Vitamin C .65mg

iron 1mg

Thiamine .1mg

Niacin .86mg

Folate .01mg

Biotin.173mg

Phosphorous 93.6mg

Zinc .53mg

Chromium <.06mg

Nickel </03mg

TomT127

I also read that same article yesterday and ordered some Chia gel caps. At least Chia is really cheap and there doesn't seem to be any downside in trying it.

masa_inn

[quote name=paraed;698809 I buy online. It is WAY cheaper than the store. By like 6 or more bucks worth!! Nutritionally' date=' I have not seen a difference, and I generally get whatever is cheaper.

[/quote]

Paraed, care to share links to your favorite chia stores? Google gave me million results :)

Moonpie

I have used the black one, in home baking & cooking ( in stews, casseroles etc ) I did not notice any significant results, but it is hard to know, if one is already eating relatively low carb. I must get some more, next time I'm at the health food store. They sell them out of the bulk bins, & are quite cheap.

paraed
Paraed, care to share links to your favorite chia stores? Google gave me million results :)

I have bought off of Amazon.com and NutsOnline | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets The nutsonline also carries chia flour which I have used to coat and fry things. I have also used it to thicken gravy. It gives it a little different texture than regular flour, but it is pretty good....and, you get all that nutrition.

I have never done pills...only seeds.

Ela

I finally bought Chia seeds and made a chocolate pudding, but a different version, which is actually even simpler!

Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding | Food Doodles

 2 tbsp chia seeds

 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite alternative)

 2 tbsp agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup or stevia to taste

 1 tbsp cocoa powder

 1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all the ingredients together. It may take a little time to incorporate the cocoa, but eventually it will. I used about a tablespoon of brown rice syrup because I like the flavor and then 10-15 drops vanilla stevia to make up the difference, but use whatever you have on hand and like to use. After everything is mixed, cover and leave on your counter for 20 minutes before enjoying. Or you can leave it in the fridge overnight and enjoy the next day. The chia seeds continue to absorb the liquid they are in so you may need to water your pudding down with some more almond milk if you leave it till the next day. You can top your pudding with fresh fruit or just eat it plain

I didn’t add vanilla as I forgot and as a sweetener I used 1 packet of Truvia. It came out barely sweet, but I liked it this way. You can add more if you like it sweeter.

I also couldn't wait 20 minutes and started eating it after maybe...5... :eating:.

I just loved the texture; it was a little cranchy in a VERY pleasant way. I don't know maybe if I have I waited longer if cranchiness would disappear? I really don't care one way or the other as I just loved it the way it was! smiley-eatdrink026.gif

poodlebone

I just loved the texture; it was a little cranchy in a VERY pleasant way. I don't know maybe if I have I waited longer if cranchiness would disappear?

When I put chia seeds in Jello it wasn't crunchy at all so I'm sure if you let your pudding sit awhile the seeds will completely soften. I wonder if grinding the seeds would help - that would eliminate the crunchiness right away.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.