Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stinastina

Chia Seeds

rkossman

I just received my first order of chia seeds. I thought they would be a little bigger than they are. People who say they eat a handful..how? They kind of stick to you!

HAHAHAHA...I actually just ate a peanut butter and low sugar jelly sandwich...we'll see how it works. I'll test blood in a few minutes. Hoping this works. I really need to lower my sugars and meds, exercise and diet aren't doing a darn thing!

Sherlock

I've been using chia seeds for about a month now. Chia seeds are not all equal in nutritional value and benefits. Do your research. Salba for example is not a high quality product. Gel caps and other "pill" forms don't carry the same benefits. Dark seeds are better than white seeds. The benefits increase the longer the seeds soak in a liquid (at a minimum 10 minutes but longer is better). I buy chia seeds by the pound. The normal daily dosage for full benefits is 2-3 tablespoons per day. I make the chia gel and also use a shaker for dry seeds. Here are some ideas:

1. Hubby and grown sons put a tablespoon of gel in their juice in the morning.

2.I am totally sugar-free so I make SF smoothies with two tablespoons of chia gel.

3. I sprinkle a teaspoon of chia seeds on everything I eat -- pizza, anything with peanut butter, dips, salads, etc.

My favorite smoothie recipe:

Carbmaster peach yogurt, 1 tablespoon SF peach preserves, 1 pkg medifast vanilla shake mix, 2 packets of splenda, 2 tablespoons chia gel, water and ice as desired. This is enough for 2 1 1/2 cup smoothies. I drink one in the morning and save the other for late afternoon.

I also make a coffee smoothie - 2 cups leftover coffee (or I make instant), DaVinci kahlua flavor (any flavor you like is fine), 2 T chia gel, 1 pkg medifast cappachino or chia latte mix (or vanilla or chocolate are good too); water and ice as desired.

I make strawberry, chocolate, whatever I'm in the mood for.

Now here's what everyone wants to know -- does it work? Yes it does. Here's an example: Before Chia, if I ate even one piece of pizza, my BS would soar up over 140. Last night I ate two pieces of pizza (thin crust as always) with 1 teaspoon of chia sprinkled on top, and my BS stayed under 110.

My FBS is 74-80. BS after meals is always under 100. I still count carbs and protein (too much protein raises BS too). I don't count calories (who needs to when going SF and LC?). The best part is that if I want to splurge (like a quarter of a cupcake at a birthday party) I can do it without my BS soaring.

A side benefit -- I have three autoimmune diseases that cause chronic pain in joints and muscles. I've been able to cut back significantly on pain meds and muscle relaxers in the past month. When the pain flares, it's never more than 6-7 on the pain scale and for years Before Chia, a flare could put me at a 8-9 pain level for weeks.

I'm hooked on Chia. I love the energy, the better sleeping at night, the lower pain levels, and of course the lower BS and the weight loss. What else can do all that?

Ela

Ok, I'm not sure if it's Chia or what, but

I had different results of my morning FBG, all 3 months I'm testing it's around 100, give or take 10 points. However 6 days in a row when I ate Chia pudding at night (recipe above with addition of a few spoons of heavy cream) it was below 100, in fact I got a few readings below 90, which is HUGE for me. I wasn't sure why it was and was thinking maybe it's just a part of the process. But today I suddenly got 108! :eek: What? :confused: I mean not a big deal, but why?

I have a diary where I log in everything I eat and the only difference for these 6 days and yesterday night was that I didn't eat my chia pudding at night and in fact didn't have ANY Chea seeds the whole day. I forgot. I don't know maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm going to make my pudding again today and at least sprinkle my Chia in other food.

Moonpie
I've been using chia seeds for about a month now. Chia seeds are not all equal in nutritional value and benefits. Do your research. Salba for example is not a high quality product. Gel caps and other "pill" forms don't carry the same benefits. Dark seeds are better than white seeds. The benefits increase the longer the seeds soak in a liquid (at a minimum 10 minutes but longer is better). I buy chia seeds by the pound. The normal daily dosage for full benefits is 2-3 tablespoons per day. I make the chia gel and also use a shaker for dry seeds. Here are some ideas:

1. Hubby and grown sons put a tablespoon of gel in their juice in the morning.

2.I am totally sugar-free so I make SF smoothies with two tablespoons of chia gel.

3. I sprinkle a teaspoon of chia seeds on everything I eat -- pizza, anything with peanut butter, dips, salads, etc.

My favorite smoothie recipe:

Carbmaster peach yogurt, 1 tablespoon SF peach preserves, 1 pkg medifast vanilla shake mix, 2 packets of splenda, 2 tablespoons chia gel, water and ice as desired. This is enough for 2 1 1/2 cup smoothies. I drink one in the morning and save the other for late afternoon.

I also make a coffee smoothie - 2 cups leftover coffee (or I make instant), DaVinci kahlua flavor (any flavor you like is fine), 2 T chia gel, 1 pkg medifast cappachino or chia latte mix (or vanilla or chocolate are good too); water and ice as desired.

I make strawberry, chocolate, whatever I'm in the mood for.

Now here's what everyone wants to know -- does it work? Yes it does. Here's an example: Before Chia, if I ate even one piece of pizza, my BS would soar up over 140. Last night I ate two pieces of pizza (thin crust as always) with 1 teaspoon of chia sprinkled on top, and my BS stayed under 110.

My FBS is 74-80. BS after meals is always under 100. I still count carbs and protein (too much protein raises BS too). I don't count calories (who needs to when going SF and LC?). The best part is that if I want to splurge (like a quarter of a cupcake at a birthday party) I can do it without my BS soaring.

A side benefit -- I have three autoimmune diseases that cause chronic pain in joints and muscles. I've been able to cut back significantly on pain meds and muscle relaxers in the past month. When the pain flares, it's never more than 6-7 on the pain scale and for years Before Chia, a flare could put me at a 8-9 pain level for weeks.

I'm hooked on Chia. I love the energy, the better sleeping at night, the lower pain levels, and of course the lower BS and the weight loss. What else can do all that?

How do you make the chia gel? sounds interesting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.