Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tadhgo45

Dont know what to do !

Tadhgo45

Hi im Tadhg o brien

Im a teenager and i play four sports .. i hang around wit friends alot and do alot of excerising because of sports . i have not been diagnosed with anything because i have not gone to any doctor because i have not even told my parents that i think i have diabetes .. i have alot of symptoms like fuzzy vision now and then .. always need to urinate .. always fatigued . if itell my parents and i go to the doctor and theres nothing wrong with me then its a waste of 50e ! i truly dont no what to do .. did anyone else feel like this ? Please help me !

Thanks

Joisey

Symptoms would also include extreme thirst and possibly some tooth decay. Get a blood glucose meter at the drug store and start testing (I think there's one for about $20).

Bountyman

As was suggested, get a meter, but first...talk to your parents about this, they deserve to know your concerns. Once you've gotten the meter, read the instructions and take a random test at least 2 hours after you've eaten anything, that includes liquids. If the test reads above 7mmol/L 125mg/dL...then show your parents and consider a battery of diabetic-finding blood tests through your doctor. If your symptoms don't point to diabetes then further lab tests may be in order.

In any event...if you do indeed do a self test...come back and let us know what it was. Bayer also makes a home test HbA1c kit that's as cheap as a new meter and strips. It's not always used as an indicator...but it's a good tool, nonetheless.

Bountyman
i live in ireland and we have pharmacies .. do they sell them here ? and do they sell um to under 18s .. im 16

You'll have to call your pharmacy on that...most of us here aren't from Ireland. It shouldn't be restricted to age.

Cormac_Doyle
i live in ireland and we have pharmacies .. do they sell them here ? and do they sell um to under 18s .. im 16

Tadhg

I assume from your comment abouty the GP bill that you don't have a GP card / medical Card?

Most GPs, Medical clinics and pharmacies (generally the "neighbourhood-style pharmacies such as "Hickeys" - NOT Boots (see below)) are given blood glucose meters by the reps. They generally will "re-gift" them given the slighest sob-story. You'll only get somewhere between 10-50 test strips with the meter, but that should be enough to conffirm whether or not you need to visit your doctor.

Similarly, the local healthboard clinic will definitely have a couple, and assuming there are medical staff on-site at the time (they are also used to administrate "social housing" and similar unrelated claims), they should do a quick test, and may give you a meter to play with ...

Boots, and a number of the more "commercial" pharmacies also sell the Meters ... but you are looking at spending roughly €40 to get one.

Finally ... depending on where in the country you are, one of tmhe local members may be able to meet you and gi9ve you one of our spare meters ... myself and Dave are based in and around Dublin (I work in North dublin and live in Meath; Dave lives and works in the Bray/Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown end of the city). Other members are in other parts of the country ...

Diabetic4life05

I'd go to the doctor.. better safe than sorry.. If youre not then youll be comforted that your not and maybe they can find out if something else is wrong.

ramon

Do you have a nurse at school? I bet there are diabetics at school that you dont even know about. In the meantime stop all sweets and sodas. Some pharmacy might even test for nothing. YOU HAVTA BE SURE.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.