Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clebo

30 carbs a day...still have questions...

clebo

Hi everyone!! I made it through my First introduction Day of 30 carbs a Day..I was told to limit the carbs(which were about 3 for the day)...followed the suggested meals...

Breakfast-2 eggs cooked in butter, 4 strips of bacon (Total-4 oz. protein}, cup of Black coffee...Lunch-4oz. lean meat, 1oz. of cheese(Total 5oz, of protein) and water and drank 80 oz. of water for the day...Did my usual daily walks and recumbent bike and bg's were...

Before Breakfast- Bg89.. 2HrPP-92....Before Lunch-91 Bg...2HrPP-99...Before Supper Bg-83... 2HrPP-110....it was a great day..and wakeup was 85 this morning...

Today I started the 6-12-12...so, Before breakfast was 85 and after having 3 eggs scrabled and 2 sausages, some tomatoe slices, decaf coffee and a 6oz. glass of sugar free tang equivalent ..my 2 hrPP was 88..all is well....Thought I was on my way....

I was feeling sluggish this morning with no giddy-up and felt like my chest was filled with food and heavy...I went ahead and did my 30 minute walk and piddled around in my garage and then walked down to get the mail...I took my Before Lunch reading and it.s 107....What happened...I may not be realistic, but I honestly expected to stay under 100 for the day..

The only difference in yesterday than today, so far, is an extra oz. of protein at breakfast(what they suggested) and I was gonna try 5oz, at each meal instead of the 4-5-6 oz, they did yesterday..did my same activities , exercise except no mail yesterday being Sunday and didn't piddle in my garage...

I did add carbs in today...too, so I had about 6c, this morning at Breakfsat compared to 2 yesterday...and the extra oz. of meat...could that be the difference...should I keep the protein at 4-5-6 instead of 5-5-5...just wondering...

I know this is just the first real day of eating the 6-12-12, but I can already see the differnce in Bg's from a 3 carb day ..now eating a 30 carb day..makes me not want to eat any carbs at all....

Why did I go up so much when the 2hr Pp was soo good and I actually went down 1 point this time yesterday before lunch, now today, I've risen 22 points since before breakfast...4 carbs and 1 more oz. of protein , than yesterday, can make that big a difference???

Anyway..I dread my 2hr PP for lunch 12 carbs for lunch and 5 oz. of protein...it can only go up...like I said..makes you not want to eat amy carbs at all...

I'm sure thru trial and error, I will get the hang of it, but it has me scratching my head, trying to figure out these numbers...Thanks for listening and any input or suggestions or insight would be appreciated..Life is Good...Clebo

clebo

Just checked my 2hr PP..108... What do you have to do, to stay at least under 100 at before meal readings..go 6-6-6- carbs for the day..mark of the beast by the way.

Is it unrealistic to expect before meal readings to be under 100 ,(when doing 30 carbs a day) or am I expecting too much or eating wrong still???

What targets do you have for resting /before meal readings and 2hrPP readings for the day.......Life is Good...Clebo

Ela
Just checked my 2hr PP..108... What do you have to do, to stay at least under 100 at before meal readings..go 6-6-6- carbs for the day..mark of the beast by the way.

Is it unrealistic to expect before meal readings to be under 100 ,(when doing 30 carbs a day) or am I expecting too much or eating wrong still???

What targets do you have for resting /before meal readings and 2hrPP readings for the day.......Life is Good...Clebo

I know you're upset, but maybe staying in low 100th is not such a bad thing? You don't have spikes, right?

Good luck!

jwags

I think you are doing great, don't overstress with the bgs in the low 100's. One of the things I have learned about diabetes in the last 4 years is things other than food cause my bgs to rise. All sorts of hormones will cause bgs to spike. When these hormones are produced they signal liver to convert stored glycogen into available glucose. So what may be happening is that your body is percieving that you may be hungry even though you are not and decide to dump a little glucose. You may have to add a snack or two to stop these liver dumps. Once I started to test a lot I found I would spike every morning around 11 am no matter how low I was after breakfast. I finally upped my metformin and take a 3rd pill right before the time I usually spike. This is an extension of Dawn Phenomenom which seems to affect a lot of type 2's.

VeeJay

You're doing great. I also eat >30 carbs... more like 20 carbs a day. I also eat higher fat than it looks like you're doing. If I eat too much protein (i.e. - more than moderate) then the excess protein can be converted to glucose, keeping my BG a bit elevated.

Another thing that affects my BGs is eating too much at a time. Since I (apparently) have very little first phase insulin response (what is released at the beginning of a meal) I have to rely on the 2nd phase, which is released at a much lower level. If I eat too much, even if there aren't a lot of carbs, it seems to keep the numbers higher for longer - maybe taking until 3 or 4 hr pp to return to below 100.

When one relies solely on diet to control blood sugar levels, small variables can make a difference. And the variables may not, as was said, be food-related.

It's the overall trend, and not just one or two days, that really matter. Your numbers are really quite good.

I also wanted to say that I following a 2:4:8 ratio - 2g net carbs to 4 g protein to 8 g fat.

TrickyTreeFrog

Hey Celbo don't worry about it to much......the thing I have learned is that the numbers will move all over the place on their own...there is no "set" pattern.

But, I just make sure to keep them all day no higher than 145 that is the limit I "allow" :rofl: it's my trip :driver: and if it wants a ride there will be no speeding past 145 (well maybe a couple of times when I feel like being naughty :evil:).

Portion size and carb counting is awesome for helping with control...but give it a playing field to roam in with no set day, time or ridged patter to follow.....just set the boundry!!

You are doing awesome and heck "anything" is better then the 320 fasting I was Dx'd at and anything under 180 the doc said is a "great" number after a meal is. ;)

My way of thinkings is:

A car uses gas for energy...I fill the tank and some days it last longer then others and have to refill again sooner sometime later....all depends on the speed, method of driving.....if I drove allllll the time at the "same" speed and the "same" distance ....same route then I could say I gas up every 5 days at 6pm before using the last 1/2 gal (and man would that become old soon). But, I love to explore and have fun and go places and not worry about the cops (BG's) so I make sure to follow the speed limits (along the route). Well my BG speed limit is 145 tops and how often I have to fill the tank with carbs per day well is diff each time (hey it fits the YMMV lol...your millage may vary...)

Set a BG limit and don't worry so much about keeping it at a "set" number .....enjoy the days!!!!!!!! :ridinghor enjoy the ride!

Mucho huggos and luck my friend

Da Fwog

clebo

Thank You Ela,jwags,VeeJay and Fwoggie!! I really needed some input and you All have really helped me to understand what might be going on...I sure hope, in time, I get it...Yesterday was great for the introduction Day with the Bg's and 2hr PP's and today started out fine,but something goes wrong after the 2 hrPP reading and Lunch.

Ela, You're right, I shouldn't be sweating the 100's, but , I want soo bad to keep under 100 and I keep forgetting that I am human and so many variables can play into the numbers ,as jwags mentioned....

jwags, I think you are on to something about the liver dumps...I walk in the morning, after taking the 2hrPP..for 30 minutes..come back and sit outside a few minutes and usually from 10am-noon..I work outside doing something...and then come in for lunch...Lunch is always the highest number of the day..yesterday, basically just sat outside after the walk and still high at Lunch...

If I eat at about 715 am and again at 1215pm...should I be eating something in between and what is safe that won't shoot up the Bg and keep the liver dumps away...??

VeeJay,as much as I Love Salim and his knowledge and everyone else here...I could never understand the ratio of carbs to proteins to fats...I just don't get it..Your explanation seemed a lot simpler to understand and I will try , my best to get it..I know that's part of what I'm missing, getting the ratio to carbs to proteins to fats right....

Fwoggie,I Luv Ya!! You are such a Good Buddy and Supporter of all of us when we're down , need some reinforcement and you always speak my language...Ribbetttttt...I will keep your Gas story in mind as I go along....it makes a lot of sense to me....

Again...Folks....You are all so Good to me ..to take the time to explain things to me and I we'll never be able to repay you...but just know I am inspired by each and every one of you., everyday.I am a simpleton and do not get things as quickly as others...but I keep trying and asking questions and explanations and hopefully I will be with you All soon, or at least down the road... You Touch My Heart , Forever... Life is Good...Clebo

NickP

Hey Clebo!

Wow....I am impressed that you are trying a Low Carb Diet! Very nice!!!!!

A couple of things.....First - it will take up to two weeks to get your body into Ketosis (burning Ketones instead of Glucose). The induction period can have some rough times as your body adjusts. Your BG numbers look good...I wouldn't get too concerned when you see your BG go above 100.

Second - the success of a HFLC diet is trying to get beween 60-75% of your calories from fat. I avoid all lean proteins, unless they are covered with cheese, bacon, and ranch dressing. Seriously, low fat proteins will end up impacting your BG. I think about 40-50% of protein gets converted to glucose. So again, I eat a High Fat, Moderate Protein, Low Carb diet. I try to keep protein at about 20% of my daily calory impact.

Third - you should NEVER be hungry on a Low Carb Diet. The diet is not an excuse to overeat, but "eating defensively" is a good tactic to avoid getting hungry. If you need a snack, take it. I normally don't need it, but sometimes will grab a sugarfree gum since my mouth just feels the need to do something.

Drop me a PM anytime...I am very excited to see how you do! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Daytona

I just want to echo what Nick said. It takes a while for your body to adapt but you should not be hungry. So eat a snack, preferably high in fat, like macadamia nuts if you need to. When I eat enough fat in my meals, I don't need to snack but if I eat something leaner (like chicken) I am starved later.

Liver dumps can be a problem when you are first doing very low carb because your liver has glucose saved up. Once you have been doing it for a few days however your liver's reserves should be reduced. I don't think it's necessary to eat "defensively" to prevent a dump as it shouldn't be a problem once you've transitioned to burning fat for energy.

Keep up the good work and please post any questions you may have. One more thing is that if you experience headaches, fatigue, constipation or muscle cramps, try adding a cup of broth each day. When you go super low carb, depending on how much salt you get from the food you eat, you may need to work extra in (potentially 2-3 g of extra sodium a day).

shyam

Hey Clebo,

You have already got solid advice. I don't want to add anything. But I must say that you are doing a great job with your numbers and that too without any medication. Like jwags has said the hormones play a key part in the glucose regulation. Your liver is the engine that drives the body & sometimes it may use up a little extra fuel while idling, sometimes not. Don't dwell too much on the numbers as there are too many variables, some that the human race has yet to discover. Keep within the range & enjoy life.

NickP
I just want to echo what Nick said. It takes a while for your body to adapt but you should not be hungry. So eat a snack, preferably high in fat, like macadamia nuts if you need to. When I eat enough fat in my meals, I don't need to snack but if I eat something leaner (like chicken) I am starved later.

Liver dumps can be a problem when you are first doing very low carb because your liver has glucose saved up. Once you have been doing it for a few days however your liver's reserves should be reduced. I don't think it's necessary to eat "defensively" to prevent a dump as it shouldn't be a problem once you've transitioned to burning fat for energy.

Keep up the good work and please post any questions you may have. One more thing is that if you experience headaches, fatigue, constipation or muscle cramps, try adding a cup of broth each day. When you go super low carb, depending on how much salt you get from the food you eat, you may need to work extra in (potentially 2-3 g of extra sodium a day).

Hey Daytona,

Great Advice!

Just to clarify, my advice on eating "defensively" was meant as diet advice on eating proper portion sizes. If you wait until you are hungary to et, then you are more likely to eat the wrong foods and overeat. If you eat your meals at "normal" times ( even if you are not hungry), then you will be able to eat smaller meals and make better food choices.

However, as a side note, I did not used to eat breakfast, but have discovered that eating some fat and protein in the AM is critical to controlling my BG in the morning. For me, I need to eat as quickly as possible to keep my liver from dumping too much glucose.

Thanks again for allowing me to clarify!

Daytona
If you wait until you are hungary to et, then you are more likely to eat the wrong foods and overeat. If you eat your meals at "normal" times ( even if you are not hungry), then you will be able to eat smaller meals and make better food choices.

I think I was mixing up your response with someone else's. :D I totally agree that if you wait until you are starving, poor choices will follow!

ShottleBop

As others have noted, there are so many factors that affect BG that you can't always pin the cause on what you ate. I have been eating the same way for over 3 years now. If you look back in the "postmeal nos." thread (starting at page 30), you'll see that, in March, my BGs stayed under 100 for nearly the entire month. My average BG for March was 86. Right now, my 7-day average is 101, and my 30-day average is 98. There has been only one day when I never exceeded 100. Why the change? Heck if I know. Could be increased stress at work, could be a change in the test strips, maybe it's the iron supplements I began taking in April. It's something I'm watching.

clebo

I just want to Thank You All, and please keep the advice, experiences and encouragement coming..it really really helps..I am still tweaking the protein..a you can see by my wake-up. the extra oz. of hamburger and tomato, I think, kicked me in the Bg's...

I am trying to get it down pat, but I'm am excited to see great results already, and can't wait toi see what each new day brings....I know it will all take time, but I m determined to stick to it and stay the corse and see where it brings me...

I haven't snacked in ages and just don't feel like eating any, so don't know if that will affect things are not...just sticking with the 3 meals for now...

I honestly feel great except for thr intoduction day ...(about 3 carbs that day)...felyt bad the next morning, but got busy on my daily routine and haven't felt bad since...

If I ever get the hang of the Fats, Proteins and Carbs..I will br fine..I know that the carbs are the least I should eat, with more Protein than Carbs, and more Fat than Protein...

Taking baby steps, but confident I will get there...One day at a time...

Again, Nick, sodajerk,Daytona,shyam,and ShottleBop...I can't thank You All enough along with rthe other Folks above...it makes things, a whole lot easier to understand and comprehend, when the Folks who have succeeded, give their advice, help, knowledge and experience and support and encouragement...and I definitely need Your Help !!

As I always said..I am simpleton and am slow..but I will get there...

Continued Success and Great Health to All of You... Life is Good...Clebo

Moonpie

you are doing great, don't sweat the small stuff. As other have mentioned, you cannot control your Bgs all the time, it seems they can have a mind of their own. Sometimes I get great numbers but a repeat of the same food will give me a higher number. Too many variables. So as long as I know I am eating fairly Ok carb wise & doing my strolls, I am OK.

jwags

Every diabetic will be different. I eat small amounts every 3 hours or so. That is what works best for me. If I eat too much at once especially protein I do spike from it even if it is low carb. Also things like exercise really spike me too, so I have to take that into account. I would love to be below 100 all the time, but I have accepted it is just not going to happen, unless I go on Insulin. I aim for 110-120 or so after meals. Once in a blue moon I go below 100 but not on a consistent basis. When you find the secret let me know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.