Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iamwoman

My mother was starting to get Diabetes while pregnant with me.

Iamwoman

My biological mother was 100% healthy before she got pregnant with me. Half way threw she started to show symptoms of type 2 Diabetes.

I was born with a disability. I have shortened bones in my right leg as well as disformed ones in my foot and knee. As well as the muscles are disformed, misplaced, missing, shortened and nonfunctional.

Did this happen because she was diabetic while pregnant? Or was it just a rare accident?

Ive been wondering my whole life, but I don't want to ask her because she already feels guilty about my disability even thou there was nothing she could do.

shanna79

Nobody can say for sure that it was or wasn't caused by that, but studies suggest that diabetes during pregnancy increases the risk for birth defects. Although, women who develop diabetes later in pregnancy are less prone to having a baby with a birth defect. Your disabilities could be genetic, totally random, or a result of your mother's diabetes or even another issue like a vitamin deficiency. Only genetic testing would give you a better idea since there are just so many factors that can contribute to a baby developing issues.

My nephew was born with Larsen Syndrome, a rare syndrome that causes pretty much all the systems in the body to grow improperly. He also has issues with the bones and muscles in his feet and legs. His syndrome was found to be genetic even though nobody on either side of the family has anything near to what he has. It was just one of the crazy things where his parent's genetics together allowed the recessive genetic mutation to come through. Have you ever thought of having genetic testing?

jwags

There is really no way to tell. They used to give drugs to pregnant women to prevent morning sickness. Then they found these drugs caused deformities and discontinued them. Many things can cause problems during pregnancy. With one of my pregnancies everything was going fine but my son was born stillborn. The doctors couldn't give me any answers. Lots of women get Gestational Diabeties during pregnancy but their doctors usually watch them very carefully and have them monitor their blood sugars to stay in a low range.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.