Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobinP

"all diabetics should be on a statin".....

RobinP

That's what my cardiologist said to me today after asking if I was taking one, which I'm not. My primary dr has never mentioned me taking one. Are any of you guys taking one just because? I don't know what to think. :confused:

Caravaggio

I'm not on statin.

Diabetes is said to increase the risk for CVD, but that does not mean that one should be on statin or any cholesterol-lowering drug, just because one has diabetes. That's bull. I don't buy this "better safe than sorry" attitude, which I think is what your cardiologist is trying to sell you.

notme

Several of my doctors have tried to get me to take a statin also. I have chosen not to, against doctors advice. There are several threads on the subject. You can do a search up above and read many of the posts people have made on this subject. Many of us do not take a statin and may do.

aggie168
That's what my cardiologist said to me today after asking if I was taking one, which I'm not. My primary dr has never mentioned me taking one. Are any of you guys taking one just because? I don't know what to think. :confused:

Hi Robin, I think you will not find any absolute answer out there. You will find people and studies that may conflict with each other. At the end you have ask yourself what to believe and what is your goal. :)

For myself, I take Aspirin 81mg and Lipitor 10mg to prevent heart attack and stroke. My family have strong history of heart trouble. Then I take Benicar 10mg to protect my kidney. All my other numbers are inline and I have stopped all supplements about one year ago.

RobinP

He put me on aspirin today. I've been on Pradaxa and Cardizem for 3 weeks now and at my next appt, if the Holter monitor results are normal, then he's taking me off those meds. I don't have a problem taking the aspirin but I really don't want to take a statin. At least right now. I'll research it more.

velvetgreen

i was on a statin cos my lipids were terrible. since i have gone "lower carb" my lipids have improved and my Doc took me off the statin.

i can understand the Doc wanting to promote you being on an ACE inhibitor as these are proven to be protective of kidneys (i am told)...

:)

Bill_Iowa
"all diabetics should be on a statin".....

That's what my cardiologist said to me today after asking if I was taking one, which I'm not. My primary dr has never mentioned me taking one. Are any of you guys taking one just because? I don't know what to think.

If you ask that very same cardiologist about diet, he/she would more than likely tell to eat a high carb/very low fat diet, irregardless of you being a T2 diabetic. They don't care about your blood sugars, just a slight decrease risk (maybe) in cardiovascular disease. We T2s know that a high carb diet would require us to take more oral meds and probably insulin, too. We being insulin resistant, well, we know the consequences of that route, medically (not a good thing) and financially (expensive).

No wonder health care costs are skyrocketing when doctors recommend/push expensive drugs, that are not side-effect free, "just because".

art

Been there, done that.

Statins almost crippled me.

I'll never touch one again.

The most frightening thing I heard was from my wife's cardio doc.

The thought children should be on statins given their diets.

Art

dgz924s

Personally I would research the relationship between diabetes and plaque build up. There may be a study out that can prove/disprove any build up do to BG control or from meds taken to control diabetes that perhaps help the body produce plaque. I find it rather odd a doctor would recommend a medicine when he/she is not going to get a kick back, what purpose would it serve a doctor to push a drug for no benefit. If doctors did get a kick back the doctor would not just limit it to a "statin" they would go right after the name of the med specifically. Ask the cardiologist which statin he/she suggests and if the reply is "there are many you can try", you know at that point there is no kick back. If they suggest by name a couple of meds chances are there is no kick back, because doctors in the past usually were one pharmacuetical company loyal.

It is proven that plaque build up is real and can cause heart attack and stroke and the meds do work. I am on Crestor and my levels are right where the doctor wants them. And I pay 2.00 per 30 day supply. I have zero side effects as well. May have to try several makes to get the results and 0 side effects but it is doable.

RobinP

My husband went on Zocor back in 04' and he immediatly lost 20 lbs and felt weak and just terrible. He threw them away and swears he'll never take another.

Chanson13

I've been on Lipitor (atorvastatin) for 8 years, since I have a heart attack. We've varied the dosage over the years (b/c the recommendations from the experts about the LDL levels changed). My lipids are ok - and always have been - I have high HDL and low triglycerides. The LDL is generally between 90 and 100 - which is higher than they like for someone in my risk category.

I've never had the horrible side-effects of statins that some people do, so I don't mind taking it.

Haniwitch

When I went for my HbA1c at the end of May my doctor told me that my cholesterol was in the normal range and probably better than his. Unfortunately diabetics have to be better than normal so he told me that according to some guideline they follow he’s supposed to put me on drugs. I asked him if I could try to do it with diet and exercise so we’re working on that for a while to see what happens. He also said that he will let the patient make the choice on treatment but he always worries when he does because if something happens from my making the wrong choice he’ll feel terrible.

The bad news -- he’s leaving. His family can’t stand our Manitoba winters so they’re out of here and I’ve got to break in a new doctor.

jwags

My doctor told me the same thing even though my cholesterol was just a touch above normal 202 and HDL was almost 100. So I caved and went on them for about 15 months. It was the worst decision I ever made. Little by little my muscles deterioated and I had all over body pain. I was weak, fatigued and had total brain fog. I litterally felt like I was on my death bed. Luckily I found some online blogs about statins and all the things I was experiencing and I went off of them. Within a weak most of my symptoms disappeared . I am still left with some permanent muscle damage, though. So do some research.

SueM

Does he have shares in the company that manufactures them?

I have never taken statins and never will.

dgz924s
Does he have shares in the company that manufactures them?

I have never taken statins and never will.

Fortunately the anti kickback staute limits such investments to a minimal amount i.e. 500.00 to 800.00 US, not really an amount to make large profits on.

xMenace

No. Not only do I not believe our current lipid measurements are valid, I think it's insane to take a muscle damaging drug to protect our largest muscle. It's insane to limit the production of one of the most important elements in our bodies.

afrengel

I'm a T2 also controlling with diet and exercise. I'm with Kaiser and pretty sure they don't get a kick back. My Dr. gives me options but believes in the meds. I trust him, yes, but also feel I'm at a debatable boundry. There's no evidence to support increased benefit for patients with numbers in normal range. I often have trouble finding specific studies that address that question. Statins as a preventitive measure? Would the entire general public benefit from them? I don't see the evidence. I would probably feel different if my LDL or other values were high. Until then, I'm saying "no".

ant hill

Hello Robin, I have been told the same argument as I was told to go on a statin and I had the chance to get an independent test on cholesterol and came out normal. So I am on the suspicion that doctors like you on a statin just because you are a diabetic. I on the believing you are what you eat and do. :confused:

jwags

It has taken me almost a year to get over the devastating damage the statins did to me. I still have some permanent muscle damage that I think won't go away. I am finally looking human again. The statins aged me so much I looked like walking death because of the destroyed muscles. I don't think any cholesterol benefit would be worth going through that again.

art
It has taken me almost a year to get over the devastating damage the statins did to me. I still have some permanent muscle damage that I think won't go away. I am finally looking human again. The statins aged me so much I looked like walking death because of the destroyed muscles. I don't think any cholesterol benefit would be worth going through that again.

Amen to that

Art

Joisey

My new doctor actually told me the insurance company wants me on a statin. I told him I was skeptical. Took the cholesterol test again, but haven't yet received results.

Ela
My new doctor actually told me the insurance company wants me on a statin. I told him I was skeptical. Took the cholesterol test again, but haven't yet received results.

Insurance company wants it? This is something new and disturbing. And how your doctor actually found out? They called him or something?

Anyway, please keep us posted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.