Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobinP

"all diabetics should be on a statin".....

MCS

After my heart surgery surgeon put me on Lipitor, quit taking it shortly after muscles told me to stop. Tried one other, then quit taking all of them. My PCP just did blood work and even said there is a casual link between statins and IR and or Diabetes so he elected to try other means to bring my LDL under control. So far so good, got more work to do, but things are headed in the right direction.

SueM
My new doctor actually told me the insurance company wants me on a statin. I told him I was skeptical. Took the cholesterol test again, but haven't yet received results.

So does your Dr share your medical records with your ins company? Is this faceless person in the ins company qualified to say what you should be on, have you had a face to face consultation with the ins co.? If my Dr came out with a statement like that, I would be changing Dr very quickly.

Breezin

I've been struggling with this decision, too. I saw my doctor in July (when I had my fabulous 5.3 A1C) and she wants to put me on statin. My cholesterol was barely over 200 (201 I think) and my trigycerides had come down within normal range. She said I'm over 50 now and diabetic so heart disease is a concern. I am barely 51! However, my mother and aunt both had heart attacks young and both are still living -- bless them!

Since then I've picked up walking/water aerobics routine and continue to lose some weight. So, I have not filled the prescription yet. I just don't know what to do. I wish I had the magic answer on this subject. Guess I will continue to research and see if my next blood work convinces her that I do not need statin. We'll see.

dgz924s

I decided to look into this "anti statin" issue and had a discussion with my Drs. 2 Internists and one GP and they did say that muscle damage is a concern and in any stage of damage(3) least to worst is rare, to a number of 1 in 10,000 suffer damage. That said this damage is usually due to a high dosage and the person taking them. True many individuals do encounter muscle pain and those are simply taken off the medicine. I do not argue that many encounter pain and these individuals are among those who cannot tolerate a statin medication. Studies have shown that if any damage is occurring it is during the first year of use after that it is rare. Studies have also shown to reduce heart failure, stroke by a significant number and reduce the chance of a secondary attack. Also I must include that many who do suffer damage are also taking other statin or cholesterol reduction meds and other non related medications which increase the chance of damage significantly. This may very well be the case for many who suffer.

I have been on Crestor for nearly 5yrs. and no muscle damage or weakening at all. No pain as well. I am lo dosage at 5mg. TID. There is a blood test to determine muscle damage for anyone who is concerned if damage has taken place. The test measures a chemical that is found when muscle is damaged a chemical breakdown occurs and this breakdown is in the form of a chemical that only occurs when muscle dies, it is measured for an amount that would confirm or not any damage is done.

So I would not discount taking a statin based on how others experienced but rather discuss this with several Drs. and start a statin at the lowest dose available, check the results and if any pain occurs you can quit taking it. It really comes down to a "risk vs. benefit" situation, for some the risk is real for others such as myself the risk is a moot point and I benefit greatly from a numbers stand point. I had a ultrasonic scan of my carotid arteries done close to 10 yrs ago and the result showed plaque buildup, minor but evidence of a future blockage nonetheless. I had another scan done in the recent past and the buildup was reduced which is evidence that statins do stop plaque formation. My risk of having a stroke are now less than before statins.

Getting advice from a forum on whether or not to take a medication is one thing but to ask for experiences others had/have is another, the latter is a reasonable one, the other should be left to the doctors.

Shebalib

My doctor put me on Lisynopril because of "diabetic risk of heart attack and stroke". I have low blood pressure, no family risk/history and have great cholosterol numbers. Tried at 5mg - felt a little tired. Ran out of meds for over a week and felt great. Now on 10mg for barely more than a week and I am soooo body tired! Going off of it and wrote my doctor today about it.

She wants to add another statin once I get to 20mg. My pharmacist calculated my risk over the next five years - .07%. Not worth taking.

wwotr
That's what my cardiologist said to me today after asking if I was taking one, which I'm not. My primary dr has never mentioned me taking one. Are any of you guys taking one just because? I don't know what to think. :confused:

Robin<

I am a Type 1 Diabetic for 38 years.

I have been takin "Statins" for approx 15 years now for their Benifits for Liver and Kidney Function.

I believe they call it "Off Label Use".

I did not have High cholesterol or High B.P. but have had no ill effects in taking them (so far) and my cholesterol is usually better than my Doctors.

As many people believe its B.S., I SWEAR by them!

Roger

georgepds

I have been takin "Statins" for approx 15 years now for their Benifits for Liver and Kidney Function.

I've been on them for about 15 years, but recently came off (my cholesterol was too low according to the doctor) .

I tried to check the off label benefit you listed and found this article Medical News: Noncardiac Benefits of Statins Found Lacking - in Cardiovascular, Atherosclerosis from MedPage Today which says the opposite of what you said.. they find statins increase risk for liver and kidney function problems

There was generally a dose-response effect for both renal failure and liver dysfunction

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.