Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kimg

Diagnosed as prediabetic because my hemoglobin A1C is 6.1?

Kimg

Hi Everyone!

I feel a little guilty being on here because I am not diabetic...but I went to the Dr. a couple of days ago and while going over my old charts she said...and you are prediabetic. I said what do you mean? I had actually went to her to be tested because my mom thought I had "symptoms". The Dr. said well you are not diabetic, and I do not want to alert the insurance...your sugar is fine, your just prediabetic. So we did all the routine yearly check up blood work. Today the nurse called me back, gave me my results...and said my hemoglobin A1C is 6.1 and again....I have pre-diabetes. she said my blood sugar is fine, but I need to cut back on my carbs. I am just wondering what exactly this means, and if that is all I need to do. I am 40, 5.8, 165 pounds. Thanks for reading my post!

MCS

Doc was telling you to cut back on things like; White foods, rice, pasta, potatoes, and refined flours, sugar, HFCS. These types of food give way to a rapid rise in your BG levels. Think of yourself as fortunate that you were enlightened of your condition before, well the poooop hit the fan.

Kimg

Thank you for replying MCM! I am glad I found out early. I guess I'm just not sure what A1C is, and means....if my sugar is fine, why does this make me prediabetic. If I control my carbs, are my chances of becoming diabetic fairly low?

MCS

Your body creates a molecule from glucose and hemoglobin, the more of this molecule you have the higher your average glucose level was/is. Its suppose to be a guide for doctors to determine your average BG levels over a given time (2-3 months) No one really knows the future but being that you caught this early you have a good chance that with diet change and exercise alone you should have very few problems in the way of complications.

adiantum

Hello Kimg, welcome to the forum. MCS has given you good advice. I'd also limit the fruit and fruit juice in your diet.

A non diabetic usually has an A1C of 4 to 5 & a dibaetics is 7, so yours is climbing the scale.

Stay with us & you soon will feel confident in your approach

aggie168
Hi Everyone!my hemoglobin A1C is 6.1 and again....I have pre-diabetes

Hello Kimg, welcome to DF.

1. Most doctor and ADA consider a normal person has a1c of 4 to 6. Then 6.1 to 6.5 as pre-diabetes and anything above as diabetes.

2. The number is just a guidance for the doctor. It is not a perfect scale.

3. Since your a1c is 6.1 twice. You already have the condition "diabetes". No sugar coated. You are just at an early stage. Pre-Diabetes is just a label. This label does not even exist years ago. So do not let it fool you. By that I mean if you do not start watching what you eat, increase your exercise regimen, your condition will continue to progress. Catching it at this early stage can stop the progression or at the very least slow it down.

I hope you get the point. :)

Kimg

Thank you Aggie168, for not sugar coating...I do not want anything sugar coated. Both paternal grandparents were diabetic, but not until they reached their late 60's early 70's. I feel like I do exercise quite a bit, but I need to watch what I eat. I hate green veggies! LOL. I love, love, love, sweets...probably not good. I am not extremely overweight, but could lose about 25 pounds. I will be making lifestyle changes for sure, as my triglycerides are also on the rise, I am anemic, and my platelet count is high at 753. All up from last year...hmmm. I turned 40 and fell apart! It's just the call from the nurse did not tell me much...just cut back on carbs, so I am glad to have found this site. Bye the way...I am a fellow Texan. :)

jwags

I am a full blown diabetic an my HbA1c is 5.3. So 6.1 is definitely in diabetic territory. Pre diabetes is diabetes no matter what you call it. If your endocrine system and pancreas were working ok you would be in the 4.0-5.3 range most of the time. Considering that you have a family history I would adopt a lower carb diet, stop eating any processed carb or wheat and buy a bg meter and test. Try to keep bgs close to 100 or below. Try to keep after meal numbers below 120 , preferrably much lower. The foods that give you higher numbers, ditch them. The foods that give you good numbers keep them. Pretty soon you will have a whole list of healthy foods that are good for you. Also if you are not eating fat, start eating it, it will help stabalise your bgs.

aggie168
I am not extremely overweight, but could lose about 25 pounds.

Weight is a "factor" but is not the definitive reason. Some percentage of diabetes are skinny.

my triglycerides are also on the rise

Try fish oil. That may be helpful to some. It works for me. I use to take the prescription Lovaza. When I finally get my number inline with insulin. All my lipid number fall inline. I stopped it since then.

I turned 40 and fell apart!

Ah, your warranty just expired. :)

chgisgood

My husband tested 6.3 and our Dr. didn't say anything other than cut back on sweets. He hasn't done it and now his A1C is normal. I am diabetic however and would hate to see him turn become one also. Yes, loosing weight, exercise and following a healthy diet will turn your boat around. You still have the control to stop it, and I would if I were you. Good Luck, Janice

apostasy

Yea, I hate to say it, but from what I've read, pre-diabetes is simply the beginning of a progressive disease. Basically, blood sugars that go over 140 mg/dL start to damage your body--the ones you hear about (nerves, heart, eyes) as well as your pancrease. You're pre-diabetic now, but unless you get control of your blood sugars, there's a significant chance that you will become diabetic. Not trying to be all doom and gloom, it's just what I think doctors should tell you instead of being as non-chalent as they seem to be about this disease. (I would recommend reading Blood Sugar 101 for information).

I was told I was pre-diabetic 2 years ago, but my doctor didn't seem to be too concerned. I came back 6 months later to get it tested again and it was the same. It just didn't seem like it was all that serious--I think she recommended eating less sugar, at least that's what I started to do, but 2 years later, at 39, 5 10, and 150 lbs I had an A1C of 11%, fasting glucose of 222, and I didn't think I would likely get diabetes because I'm thin and never get sick and consider myself in good shape.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.