Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cjs2020

1.5 Symptoms

cjs2020

I have chronic fatigue that does not resolve with rest. I have been on testosterone replacement therapy at a modest dose from my physician due to extremely low levels tshown on blood tests the last 4 years. I am beginning to think that I have this 1.5 diabetes, because I get extremely tired after eating say a pop tart or piece of cake for a good 1-2 hours after eating it. Also I have genetically low serotonin, which has been implicated in some of these uncategorized forms of diabetes. I am aware how diabetes affects neurotransmitter production to produce fatigue, and am aware of the role of insulin in maintaining the health of the brain and organs in producing these neurotransmitters. Taking antidepressants or a St. John's wort supplement does help somewhat.

I have attempted to medicate with insulin (humalin r) and gain much energy it seems and calmness that I do not have otherwise. Blood results show a good A1c in the 5 range without insulin use and my BG readings are fasting generally 84 and 30 min after or sugary meal spike to 180 or so. I also lose weight very easily, but while on insulin at just 2 ius a day of humalin I do not lose weight. So i have a hard time believing I am full on type 2, and know I am not type 1. I do not get any benefit from my endogenous insulin it seems and my chronic fatigue has to be to due my own insulin not working because supplementing with neurotransmitter precursors does not help enough to give me enough energy to function. Ever since I was a kid I remember falling asleep after meals or sodas (even a steak and potato meal). So I believe some genetic mutation is probably causing this. I am currently a college student. I have also read in studies how low insulin produces low testosterone. The insulin test showed I did produce insulin, though I have not had a tolerance test done.

I was curious what your symptoms were of this 1.5 diabetes and if any of this compared with your experiences. Thanks.

jojeti

I can't answer your question, I am type 2, but when I was first diagnosed I was put on a basal insulin (Lantus) immediately. I still remember the first time I took Lantus within several minutes, I suddenly had a calmness spread through my body. That continued for awhile. Now I don't notice it so much.

foxl

Diabetic hyperglycemia is easy to quantitate.

Get an oral glucose tolerance test, a c-peptide, and GAD-65 antibody testing. And an HgbA1c.

Are you using insulin without knowing these things? I am confused.

jojeti
Do you have more energy now on the insulin or did you have like no energy before starting? Also sugar is in my urine a lot.

I do have more energy now but I don't know if it is due to the insulin but rather due to the insulin bringing my bgl's down into a better range. I had very little energy beforehand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.