Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marion

ACE inhibitors & retinopathy

marion

Hi there I've got proliferative retinopathy and my eye doc has suggested thinking about going on an ACE inhibitor because of the possible protective benefits for my retinas/kidneys. has anyone been on these drugs and noticed anything positive? I'm not keen on taking anything, but if it helps with the retinopathy I'd do it like a shot! Sorry if this has been covered... Marion x

Cora

I don't know if it helped my retinopathy at all, but I'm pretty sure that it kept my kidneys going for a much longer time than they would have. My kidney problems date back to the days before the ACEs were common and they basically didn't do anything if you had diagnosed damage. Then, about 5 - 8 years after my diagnosis I was tried on a new drug (I think it was captopril - not used any more as you had to take it numerous times during the day). I'm pretty sure that the almost 20 years I had after that before dialysis were in part due to the ACE. I believe there is some evidence now that the early introduction can actually prevent kidney problems, but it's hard to prove. If you can tolerate it (most common side effect is a cough which often goes away with a different version of the drug), there isn't a lot of stuff that will hurt you. Damage from the drug is pretty rare, although I have heard of one person online who had problems. Also, it is contraindicated if you want to get pregnant.

Cora

aggie168

Yep, an ACE inhibitor or ARB is the standard on what doctor's in the US will recommend to protect your kidney. I say mostly as you will find not all doctor do that. Then there is the aspirin 81mg to protect our heart. :)

Mich

Yep. I agree that you shouldn't take anything you can do without, but this particular drug has a long history of backup studies showing it does indeed protect diabetic kidneys. I've been taking it at least 30 years. Good kidneys. If the ACE inhibitor makes you eventually develop a slight cough, ask your doc to switch you to an ARB.

Mich

Cora
Yep. I agree that you shouldn't take anything you can do without, but this particular drug has a long history of backup studies showing it does indeed protect diabetic kidneys. I've been taking it at least 30 years. Good kidneys. If the ACE inhibitor makes you eventually develop a slight cough, ask your doc to switch you to an ARB.

Mich

Believe it or not, sometimes just switching to another ace makes the cough go away. ARBs are good, but have fewer studies.

Cora

aggie168

I was on ACE for awhile. Do not know why I have a dry cough. Mention it to my doctor. She switched me over to the ARB. Now no trouble at all. I do wish it has a generic at $4.... :)

Chanson13

I've been on an Ace inhibitor (lisinopril) for over 20 years. Never had the dry cough. My kidney function is still fine, and no retinopathy.

marion

thank you people, this has been most encouraging and I have decided to start taking an ACE. The more research I do, the more I like the sound of it. I've had no kidney trouble as yet, but do have proliferative retinopathy in both eyes. I think my doctor told me that if you have retinopathy that there's a good chance your kidneys could have similar damage, but so far so good.... thanks for teh input - much appreciated! Marion x

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.