Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saoirse Circles

Baby Steps!

Saoirse Circles

So, I posted way back at the end of Spetember about the frustration I was feeling because of my blood sugars and A1c's and then disappeared for a while because I couldn't read any more without twisting it in my head so that it too became a serious source of stress for me! What a disaster!

Since then I've gotten used to the Continuous Glucose Monitor and it has definitley helped me spot the trending of my results. I've continued to tweak my insulin levels in an effort to get things a little more stable. A couple of responses to my last post mentioned concern that my I:C ratio might be off and that's why I'm going low all the time. Unfortunately I have discovered that if I increase my ratio I end up high after meals and do not come back down. It's like my blood-sugar levels get stuck when they hit a certain point and refuse to come down. What ends up happening then is I have to take more insulin to correct (exercise doesn't work at this point) and the final result is in fact insulin stacking leaving me all over the place for 12-16 hours!

And so it is. One hour after my meals I will peak to about 150, sometimes 200 in the case of breakfast, then two hours later I am down around the 120 mark. If I see that I'm dropping at this stage I eat a small snack (no insulin) to tide me over until my next meal. My endocrinologist has said that once my two hour post prandial is right I shouldn't worry too much about the one hour mark as some rise is inevitable. Does anyone else find that they have a similar experience at all?

Overnight my bllod sugars are staying more or less within range unless I eat something very strange for dinner (which I avoid at all costs!).

Yesterday we had our 20 week ultrasound and everthing is looking good so far. The sonographer found no indications of anything for us to be concerned about and hopefully the fetal echocardiogram we have scheduled for next week will confirm her findings.

My last HbA1C, in mid-September, was 6.9%. I'm really hoping that my next one will be much lower but we will have to wait and see!!!

Steal
So, I posted way back at the end of Spetember about the frustration I was feeling because of my blood sugars and A1c's and then disappeared for a while because I couldn't read any more without twisting it in my head so that it too became a serious source of stress for me! What a disaster!

Since then I've gotten used to the Continuous Glucose Monitor and it has definitley helped me spot the trending of my results. I've continued to tweak my insulin levels in an effort to get things a little more stable. A couple of responses to my last post mentioned concern that my I:C ratio might be off and that's why I'm going low all the time. Unfortunately I have discovered that if I increase my ratio I end up high after meals and do not come back down. It's like my blood-sugar levels get stuck when they hit a certain point and refuse to come down. What ends up happening then is I have to take more insulin to correct (exercise doesn't work at this point) and the final result is in fact insulin stacking leaving me all over the place for 12-16 hours!

And so it is. One hour after my meals I will peak to about 150, sometimes 200 in the case of breakfast, then two hours later I am down around the 120 mark. If I see that I'm dropping at this stage I eat a small snack (no insulin) to tide me over until my next meal. My endocrinologist has said that once my two hour post prandial is right I shouldn't worry too much about the one hour mark as some rise is inevitable. Does anyone else find that they have a similar experience at all?

Overnight my bllod sugars are staying more or less within range unless I eat something very strange for dinner (which I avoid at all costs!).

Yesterday we had our 20 week ultrasound and everthing is looking good so far. The sonographer found no indications of anything for us to be concerned about and hopefully the fetal echocardiogram we have scheduled for next week will confirm her findings.

My last HbA1C, in mid-September, was 6.9%. I'm really hoping that my next one will be much lower but we will have to wait and see!!!

I have had similar issues in the past. You might need to use the kind of bolus that is a double or delayed bolus. I have always done this manually, but found it very helpful for the numbers that just don't seem to come down. I don't know if you have ever tried it, but it might help with the post eating numbers. Also, does it matter what you eat? I am that way with something like pasta, so I have just cut it out all together. Even if pasta is the same amount of carbs as let's say a meal with a tortilla, my numbers are totally different.

I am happy the 20 week went so well. Numbers get crazy during pregnancy and can be hard to bring down. There were times when I couldn't believe the amount of insulin it would take to move me a bit. So, I get it and it can be done.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.