Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psb

low carb and hi-intensity exercize

psb

I mentioned this elsewhere but I thought it deserved its own thread.

I have been trying low carb and falling into a pattern where I'll do great and get good fbg's for a week or so and then I'll have a couple of days where I can't sleep and I feel famished and end up eating more carbs and coming out of ketosis. I've kind of convinced myself that maybe my body is not ready for a lot of intense exercise with my new low-carb metabolism yet. (I lift weights and do sprints)

Does this sound reasonable at all? I'm wondering if I'm not fooling myself and maybe I just need to willpower my way past this 7 day barrier. I'm curious if anyone else has run into something similar.

raffi

I eat fairly low carb and when I have tested with ketone strips, have been in ketosis. My exercise of choice is bike riding. I have lots of hills and gravel roads I ride on and I keep up a pretty good pace on rides ranging from 6 to 66 miles. Since I fuel with fat, I find that I don't need to eat on most rides to keep of the effort. On the longer rides (over 30 miles), I do get hungry, I have not had to eat during the ride and I do not carb out after the ride.

I did not start the exercise until I was way past switching to a lower carb lifestyle, so it may be you need to back off the exercise until you are set in your eating habits. But, at least for me, exercise is not driving me to the carbs.

jwags

I tend to eat anywhere from 20-40 carbs per day. I also do a lot of exercise. I don't usually have a problem with energy level. To help with the carb cravings make sure you are eating enough protein and fat especially before exercise.

NickP
I mentioned this elsewhere but I thought it deserved its own thread.

I have been trying low carb and falling into a pattern where I'll do great and get good fbg's for a week or so and then I'll have a couple of days where I can't sleep and I feel famished and end up eating more carbs and coming out of ketosis. I've kind of convinced myself that maybe my body is not ready for a lot of intense exercise with my new low-carb metabolism yet. (I lift weights and do sprints)

Does this sound reasonable at all? I'm wondering if I'm not fooling myself and maybe I just need to willpower my way past this 7 day barrier. I'm curious if anyone else has run into something similar.

Hey psb,

Something doesn't sound quite right. With a low carb diet, you should never feel hungry. In fact, most Low Carb Doctors will advise you to eat "defensively"- which means to keep to a normal meal schedule (not skipping a meal), so you don't get hungry and fall off the diet. Eating a low carb diet, it is easy to skip (or even forget) a meal. One of the biggest benefits of the Low Carb diet is that the diet really controls your hunger.

How many carbs are you eating a day? Are you eating prior to exercising? What are you eating?....Carb craving are tough to overcome, and can take weeks to get them to subside.

Keep posting, and let us know how we can help!

psb

Generally, I am not hungry at all until I hit that 6th or 7th day. Yesterday, for instance, I wasn't really hungry. Maybe I need to eat a little more on the easy days like you suggest.

I'd guess I'm eating between 30-50 carbs/day but I've never taken the time to measure that or my carb/protein/fat ratio. I need to go ahead and do that. I eat pretty much the same thing every day so once I do it I will have a pretty good idea where I am every day.

psb

I thought I would update this thread. I went a week without lifting weights and cut my walking back as well ... and still had my cravings.

However, a few days ago I cut out a couple of treats that I had allowed myself, a piece of chocolate and a yogurt drink with lunch and the cravings have gone away. Apparently i'm "addicted" to carbs or at least I think the chocolate. Since I've given it up I haven't had any problems at all.

Without my exercise my fbg has shot up though. It is now usually between 100-110. I'm going to pick lifting back up starting today.

jwags

I would not give up my exercise, it is important to BG contol. Being successful with low carb takes lots of trial and error with food. For example this morning I was going to play 2 hours of tennis. So I made an english muffin with flaxseed, almond meal, egg and chia seed. I spread some raw almond butter on it. After the 2nd set of tennis I had some 0 carb electrolyte drink and a bite of an Atkins bar. I had tons of energy and was not hungry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.