Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rieom

What type of flours do you use?

rieom

I am finding receipes that look good using either whole wheat, oat or coconut flours but I still am not sure what is best to use. I have tried flax meal and was not too thrilled with it.

Lloyd

I use almond flour. It is 4 or 6 grams of carbohydrate for 1/4 cup (depending on the brand) vs 23 grams for all purpose flour.

-Lloyd

dice22

Some of my friends on here such as Pink uses almond flour . I still live at home with my parents & eat what my Mother fixes; ( I do however eat what I need the other two meals)But if I lived alone (that's not possible right now); because I'm slightly handi-caped; I would use almond flour mix (1/2almond flour & 1/2 whole-wheat) I would buy the almond flour on -line or go to Sams in Bristol or Abington & get me two bags of the whole almonds ( there roasted & un- salted)& grind them my self into almond flour. (my dad has a grist mill for grinding corn,( after the kernels are dry for meal)as that well be left too me, or use can also use a food prosers. ( there's a page that tells you how)

jwags

Any type of wheat flour spikes me like crazy so I never use it in any amount. I use almond flour the most and then Flaxseed and coconut flour. The trick is to mix them together. I also use the golden milled flaxseed and like it better than the brown. Also you can grind any type of nuts into a flour by putting nuts into a food processor and then a blender. Most low carb recipes and gluten free recipes call for Almond or Coconut Flour.

Moonpie

I mostly use a mix of almond meal & falxmeal, I like the texture better that way. The golden flax is nicer, but it also costs more ( around here anyhow) I also like the coconut flour & I sometimes use organic spelt flour, which even though it is a variety of wheat, it doesn't seem to spike me, which any regular flour will. YMMV

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.