Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rieom

What type of sugar free spread or jam do you use?

rieom

I brought one (threw it away) it was hideous and as gluten free, sugar free tends to be more expensive than normal groceries, I do not want to waste money trying something else unless someone says it is okay.

Subby

I use the real thing too, I find I might buy a small jar now and then and use it sparingly or else I'll slowly start eating it... too much.

Since your posting in the low carb section I assume you are looking for low carb jam? I don't like your chances of finding one that is actually any good. Jam is basically fruit conserve. That's high carb almost by definition.

Even with a low carb diet, jam might be the sort of thing where you can have the real thing, just, sparingly.

dice22

When I eat jam/jelly ( not sure if they have it in the jam or not) I eat the Po-lander brand; ( it's just the const-rated fruit juices)& then I eat it sparingly ( I believe 1 Tab has 13 grams sugar) not 100% positive don't eat it much I usually eat some honey ( my uncle has bees); but I also eat that sparingly & I use Smart Balance butter on my toast or Land O' Lakes cimmon butter, for my bagel half I use Philadelphia cream cheese either in the blueberry or strawberry.

poodlebone

I had tried two sugar free jams and both were horrible. I probably didn't like them because I'm not a fan of Splenda, which was used in both. Also, the color was scary fake! I've bought something at Trader Joe's that was called "low sugar" and it was good. I don't think it used any artificial sweeteners, just less sugar than regular jams. It wasn't low carb, but much lower than typical jams, maybe 4g or 5g per tablespoon.

Steal

I use earth balance spread (it is a vegan butter) and if I use jam I buy the lite jam. I get sick from splenda but not from nutrasweet, so I just have to be cautious with the labels. I tend to not use jams anymore and it makes it easier. Since I don't eat much bread, I find this makes it easier. I love the idea of making a cinnamon butter or using the flavored cream cheeses. Excellent idea dice22. I also tend to just eat fresh fruit for the flavor. If I eat a frozen waffle, i tend to get the ones with blueberries in it already. I don't like syrup, so I just eat it all warm and toasty and they only have 14 carbs.

Happy eating!

Moonpie

I make my own. "Freezer jam" I get some frozen berries on sale & make the jam. It is very easy & is made in minutes. If a local store has a canning section, look for the packets of freezer jam. You can make a big batch for a few bucks, & store what you are not using in the freezer. I use zip lock bags. That way you can use whichever fruit you like, & also whatever sugar substitute you like. I have given it away to D friends & they all liked it too. Of course, now that i hardly eat any bread, I have alot in the freezer LOL

trowter

I am not a fan of the Smucker's sugarfree jams, despite my love for splenda. I'm not sure if you can find it in the US, but in Canada, sugarfree jam is made with grape juice. It's my preference

rzrbks

I MUCH much prefer the Smuckers Low sugar version over the No Sugar. ( Strawberry, if you please.)

rieom

Thanks to all, your answers have helped. It is not that I eat jam or jelly often but it would be nice to have a P & J sandwich now and then. I spread peanut butter on waffles, when I have them as butter and margarine do not agree with me.

Moonpie
I am not a fan of the Smucker's sugarfree jams, despite my love for splenda. I'm not sure if you can find it in the US, but in Canada, sugarfree jam is made with grape juice. It's my preference

that spiked me high. another reason I make my own.

MCS

I usually just cut up real strawberries, add a little sweetener, apply peanut butter to the other half. Real, fresh, raw, fruit tastes wonderful with peanut butter. If I am in a mood I will add cream cheese instead of PB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.