Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rieom

What type of flours are good for us to use?

rieom

I have found some recipes that use coconut flour and others with oat, wholewheat, cornmeal, but being still new at this, I am not sure what way to go.

VeeJay

Many low-carb baked goods use an almond meal and flaxseed meal combination. Coconut meal/flour can also be used. These "flours" don't have many carbs, and are mostly offset by the high fiber (flaxseed meal, for instance is 0 net carbs because of the high fiber).

I have also seen some recipes using wheat bran (but not flour), and protein powder.

Take a look in the recipe section of the forum and you'll find many recipes for muffins, pancakes, etc., using these alternative "flours"

Flours from true grains, like corn and wheat, and rice, too, would be too high carbs for many of us. Some, however, can tolerate oats in oatmeal, but I don't know if they use it as a flour in baked goods.

jwags

All wheat flours, wheter they are white or wheat have approximately 96 carbs per cup. No wonder we spike like crazy on bread. Almond Flour which is really ground up nuts, Coconut Flour and Flaxseed meal all are very low carb and almost 100% fiber so you can make baked goods that don't spike you. Often when I make LC cookies or muffins my bgs will go down not up.

bdelatte

I use almond flour and I like it. I've made banana bread with it vs regular flour and I actually like it better with the almond flour..gives it better flavor and more moist.

rieom

I think I am going to go with trying Almond Flour and Coconut flour. The almond flour is very, very expensive but apparently some people buy the almonds and then grind their own flour in a coffee mill. I think I will buy a small amount and check it out for myself.

jwags

If you live close to a Trader Joes, they have Almond Meal for $3.99 per pound. The blanched almond flour is more expensive around $5.99 per pound. For most of my baking the almond meal works fine. Most of my recipes only call for a cup or two. Often in cookies I mix it with Flaxseed. So I get to make my chocolate chip cookies and get my omegas too.

Sandra94103

I used almond flour a few days ago to bread eggplant fries. Worked well, I thought. Nothing like real fries of course and had a weird, kind of dry mouth feel to it but still satisfying. I image you can use it to bread anything and it's only a couple carbs a serving.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.