Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

123abc

Can any of you carb experts tell me what's going on here?

123abc

I bought a package of this chicken today (Fresh, Organic Thighs | Bell & Evans), and assumed at the store it was 0 carb...

I was shocked to find it has not one, but two(!) grams of carbs per serving. They claim to not add anything, but I don't see where else the carbs would come from. Does anyone know of a chicken brand that sells this kind of chicken without carbs?

Gladtobehere

I can't imagine where 2 grams of carb or the sodium is coming from. Unless it drips off their marketing hype??? :)

"The Bell & Evans Humane Animal Welfare Standard™ insures all of our chickens are humanely raised and compassionately handled, in a minimal-stress environment, throughout their lives." Prior to killing, skining and deboning them.

But, it is only a small amount of carb and sodium, so if you like em.....east them.

Somehow I'll bet that less compasionately handled food is cheaper.

123abc

It just confuses me because if you look at a serving of say, the legs, there are no carbohydrates (listed). If they were adding something, you would expect to see carbs across the board.. oh well, I'll investigate some other brands.

NickP

Personally, I don't always believe the labels.

First, the label shows this to be a "low fat" product. Chicken thighs are normally over 50% fat (unless they are without skin). It looks like the nutritional label might be for the skinless breasts.

Again, one or two carbs per serving wouldn't stop me from eating them. If it is truly organic with nothing added, I doubt if it has any carbs.

Moonpie

I would imagine they are injected with something, to make them heavier ( aka more$ ) This is the chicken I buy, it has no added water or salt

Smart Chicken® if linke are not Ok, then google smart chicken. com

HelenM

Interesting question so I did a quick look in the usda data base

Chicken thighs with the skin have 0.25g/100

Chicken thighs; meat only have 0g carb

Chicken skin ( from thighs) has 0.79g/100

The only thing I can suggest is that these chickens are extremely thick skinned :eek:

or perhaps their diet results in a higher amount of carbs

"Our certified 100% Organic chickens are raised on an all-vegetable, organic diet of US grown grains. We use only extruded and expeller-pressed soybeans, enhanced with corn and amino acids" )

Todd G.

If the label mentions "enhanced" or "solution(added)" anywhere, then it's the brine, which is usually 50/50 salt/sugar and water added to increase weight(of the chicken, not you) and make it moister when cooked.

cyberus

Yeah there is something very weird going on, given (as mentioned) the trace amounts of carb in plain chicken it should take an entire package to get 1 carb not 4 oz.

ShottleBop
Hidden

I always try to talk my family into watching "Home for the Holidays" on Thanksgiving. Nobody else ever wants to.

xMenace

Could it be high glycogen stores from animals fed high carbs?

Per wiki: In the muscles, glycogen is found in a low concentration (one to two percent of the muscle mass). However, the amount of glycogen stored in the body—especially within the muscles, liver, and red blood cells[4][5][6]—mostly depends on physical training, basal metabolic rate, and eating habits such as intermittent fasting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.