Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2011-12 Tour-de-Garage

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

I finally succumbed to the weather which is increasingly uncooperative. I was also a bit disappointed that the cadence/speed sensor that goes with my Garmin did not record the speed and distance of the ride. The up-side was that it did record my heart rate information for the full hour I rode and the graph looks impressive.

Without speed I opted to do 10 sets of intervals lasting six minutes. I started out in the 52x17 gear for one minute then 52x15, 14, 13, 12, & 11 then shifting back to the 52x17 and working forward in one-minute segments. An hour passed pretty fast.

The other thing I learned is that the Selle SMP saddle I purchased earlier this summer is FANTASTIC! I rode the full hour and did not need to stop and raise my butt of the saddle. Now that is something else.

The only problem I have is estimting the distance. My guess is that I spun at least 25 miles, but on the road (even a flat road) I would only average about 18 mph so perhaps I should only credit myself with 18 miles rather than 25.

Finally, I've wondered about Garmin's use of the heart rate based calorie calculator. I now think it may be quite good as my average HR of 148 with max rates of 160 for the high end of each interval came out to about 360 calories expended and that feels about right so maybe the road calcualtion is also correct.

Hopefully we will still be "On the road" but I also feel that there will be more posting about the TdG season.

raffi

Which Garmin are you using? Only some of them do heart rate calorie calculation (my edge 705 does not).

My Garmin only records speed/distance from the cadence sensor after it has been calibrated and possibly only when the GPS says we are moving. I have not tried turning off the GPS to see if it would record speed/distance at that point. I get the feeling they use it to smooth out the GPS and not to actually get the data from it alone.

I have thought about hooking up my heart rate monitor while using my trainer, but its still hard for me to get excited about indoor riding, I still see it as a poor substitute for getting outside.

graham44

Awesome workout Ronin. Im in the process of trying to figure out which bike computer I want to buy. There are so many options out there that I start reading up on them, my head starts spinning,and I shut off the computer lol. Not sure how many miles your workout would equate to, and not sure it really matters, but an average HR of 148 tells me your cranking.

Raffi you're right being inside is a poor substitute for being outside but some guys on these triathlons forums do over 90% of their training inside (might have been 1 guy who did 100%) and then go out and do an ironman and they absolutley crush my bike splits. Poor substitute and boring...but if done properly (like doing intervals and speed work) I think you can come out of the winter faster than you went into it.

Ronin

Raffi, Graham, et al.,

I'm using an Edge-705 and I only managed to record time and heart rate, but that is better than nothing. As to the workout keep in mind that I am using rollers, which offer only the rolling resistance of the tires and spokes. That being said moving through the gears at one-minute intervals from the 17 through the 11 tooth cogs against the 52 tooth chainring does make my legs ache and by the end of 60 minutes of that I'm bushed.

I could not get confirmation from Garmin that their calorie calculator was heart rate based but, when I used a couple of heart-rate based calculators on the web loading the data from my Garmin (average rate and duration) these calculators came up to the same caloric consumptions figures +/-50 calories. My guess is that the Garmin program is a bit more dynamic but essentially the same. Without a really accurate power meter the best any of us can do is estimate caloric consumption.

I agree that nothing beats riding on the roads, but considering the calestenic alternatives on days when riding outdoors is unwise/unsafe I'll take the rollers and be happy. Actually, even the rollers do increase my sense of well-being and keeps the depressive feelings from being restricted indoors at bay. Fortunately the up-coming weekend looks pretty good so we should have a few more road miles to add to our totals.

raffi

My 705 seems to be generous on its calorie calculations. I have three different way to get my calories. 1) The garmin. 2) Calculated from mets with my own mods to take hills into account. 3) Using the heart rate data and calculating from formulas on the web. Today's ride looked like

Calories burned (gps, met, hr) : 703 Kcal, 440 Kcal, 595 Kcal

Did you try explicitly turning off the GPS to see if it would give you distance based on your cadence sensor?

I too will take the exercise bike over no ride without any question. I'm glad to have it. I'm even more glad to be figuring out ways to ride in conditions that, in the past, would keep me off the road. Living rural does make the roads a little less scary than riding by traffic in the dark.

ORjt

Hi Folks,

Just checking back in -- nice workout on the rollers, Ronin - brings back a lot of memories for me. I still have a set from ~30 years ago, but I'm certain I couldn't stay up on them now. I finally succumbed to the weather here (Portland, OR) and set up the new exercise bike in the living room (it's a Nordic Track recumbent). 45 minutes, and I'm drenched, but it's hard to keep the heart rate up to where I'd like it. Yes, it's better than *not* exercising - I tried that last winter, and Mr Pancreas rebelled. Badly. Still sorting through all the 'canned' workouts to find the ones I like, and can do, and how I respond ...

We did have decent weather over part of the Thanksgiving weekend - Friday and Saturday were dry, and cool. 45 to 50ish, so was able to get out on the road for a good hour each of those days.

Likewise with calorie counts - I get vastly different numbers from the NT vs my bike computer (it's a Bontrager, with HR), vs various online estimates. Have no idea which to believe. I tend to just use those as a guide to how hard I've worked in either venue (living room, vs out on the road), rather than as an absolute measure of how much exercise I've gotten. Any is way better than none.

Take care out there -- I like reading about what everyone's doing, it does help to keep my own motivation up. Seeing the lower BG numbers helps, too :D

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Well, Stage 2 is in the bag. I tried shutting off the GPS function but the cadence/speed sensor still refused to work so I'm sending a message to Garmin. Not holding my breath because they have announced that they no longer support the 705 (I guess they expect us all to shell out more bucks for an 800 -- Yeah-Right!)

I changed up the workout for five minute intervals starting with the 52x15 and then shifting up to 14, 13, 12 amd 11 over five minutes. I logged an average heart rate of 147 for the hour peaking around 156 when I was in the 11 tooth cog. 12 of them made up the hour and I still manage to stay on the saddle for the whole hour (The Selle SMP is fantastic).

We did get out on the road last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday but since then the wealther and our schedules have been against us. Yeah, there is a difference between being on the road versus on the rollers. I'm remembering that the rollers, while good for basic fitness, are really more of a mind thing. The one minute between shifts goes just fast enough to keep life interesting and that moves the hour along so I don't go crazy.

Fishrising
I tried shutting off the GPS function but the cadence/speed sensor still refused to work so I'm sending a message to Garmin. Not holding my breath because they have announced that they no longer support the 705 (I guess they expect us all to shell out more bucks for an 800 -- Yeah-Right!)

I have a 705 as well, cadence/speed works without GPS on as does heart rate. Used it last night for the first time in a long, long time.

Is your battery good in the speed/cadence sensor? Are the magnets attached to a spoke and a crank arm? Did the 705 "see" the cadence/speed sensor and connect to it?

Here are my stats from a Coach Troy Clydesdale Interval Training DVD I did last night:

miles: 11.27

time: 0:45:27

Max Speed: 26.6

Avg Speed: 14.9

Avg Cadence: 76

Avg Heart Rate: 152

Max Haert Rate: 176

Calories Burned: 986

I was diagnosed as type 2 11/22/11. I am a 38yo male, 6'7", 256#s, BP: 120/78 (with Lisinopril), A1C was 9.4%, Glucose-O was 254 mg/dl. Have just started training (last night was trainer ride #1!) for the June 2012 CT Cure de Tour 100 mile ride.

graham44
I have a 705 as well, cadence/speed works without GPS on as does heart rate. Used it last night for the first time in a long, long time.

Is your battery good in the speed/cadence sensor? Are the magnets attached to a spoke and a crank arm? Did the 705 "see" the cadence/speed sensor and connect to it?

Here are my stats from a Coach Troy Clydesdale Interval Training DVD I did last night:

miles: 11.27

time: 0:45:27

Max Speed: 26.6

Avg Speed: 14.9

Avg Cadence: 76

Avg Heart Rate: 152

Max Haert Rate: 176

Calories Burned: 986

I was diagnosed as type 2 11/22/11. I am a 38yo male, 6'7", 256#s, BP: 120/78 (with Lisinopril), A1C was 9.4%, Glucose-O was 254 mg/dl. Have just started training (last night was trainer ride #1!) for the June 2012 CT Cure de Tour 100 mile ride.

Welcome aboard Fish! Century ride is an awesome challenge...those are the kinds of goals I need to get me out of bed and training on days I dont want to. I just got 2 of coach troys spinerval tapes. Great workouts...I was getting to the point where I can ride for a long time, but really need to train smart and hard if I want to get better. I just bought one of those foolish looking "spaceman helmets" for my Christmas present. Supposed to make a 2%-3% difference in aerodynamics. Ive got to do a 112 mile ride in july and will need any help I can get! Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress...I think it helps us all stay motivated.

Ronin just a shot in the dark but a lot of people over on beginertriathlete.com and slowtwitch.com have threads on garmin gps units and the issues they've had with them. you might be able to search the forum and find some answers...just a thought if you have the time.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Regarding the 705: The batteries are new. Yes the 705 recognized the presence of the cadence/speed sensor but still did not record or display the information. Perhaps the problem is that I am only using the speed portion of the sensor because the design of my chain-stays make it next-to-impossible to mount both sensors without slamming the speed sensor into the spokes (Specialized Roubaix).

Since my goal is to maintain a high heart rate and pedal for an hour the speed and distance aren't of primary importance -- it is just a frustration wih the technology and the fact that Garmin's response was that there are sale prices on the 800.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Stage 3: I give up on the Cadence/Speed Sensor. When I first got on the bike I got a brief speed reading and then nada. The 705 still records my heart rate and all that so I get the data I want. The alternate problem is that the Flight Deck on this bike has stopped working and i fear that the wiring is FUBAR because the head from the tandem doesn't work either.

Other than that the hour went by pretty fast. I tried listening to news instead of music and found that the news was simply distracting from the almost constant focus on shifting every minute. Next time it is back to the classical music station.

Tomorrow promises to be a road tandeming day, and the weeked looks good also. What a year! While doing errands this morning I heard that NJ has had record preciptation this year and we have more rain forecast for next week!

raffi

I've managed to get out on the bike most nights lately, so the exercise bike has been sitting idle. However, since I'm planning on picking (and riding home) my new bike tomorrow, I think I will stay out of the cold tonight and just do an easier (and warmer) workout on the exercise bike. I am glad I have options.

ORjt

Raffi, what are you getting? And what's it replacing?

Probably should start a thread one day about what we're all riding ...

--JT

raffi

I'm getting a Trek Sawyer, but it is not replacing the current (Specialized hardrock), just adding another option. The new bike is outfitted with racks etc. and is meant to be a commuter. The plan is to work up to commuting 5 days a week (18.25 mile gravel grinder each way) and use the commute as the training I need for longer rides.

ORjt

Cool! Have fun with your new toy :)

I'd like to commute - work is about 12 miles from home, but it's 12 miles of not-good-for-biking ...

-JT

raffi

Mine would be less than 16.5, but the "not-good-for-biking" is along a highway with not enough shoulder and too much traffic. The route I'm taking is back roads and gravel, much more to my liking.

ORjt

I hear you. Of the 12 of mine - there's about 5 just like that (highway, traffic, not enough shoulder), with no viable alternative. The other would be about half through town, with intense traffic, and no bike lane; ending with ~2 or so miles of bike lane.

Like I said, much as I'd like - that's not going to happen.

Hope everyone can get out and do some riding this weekend - we'll have nice weather, I plan to get out at least on Sunday for maybe 25-30 miles. Saturday looks hosed right now, for other reasons ..

Stay safe!

--JT

Ronin

Everyone:

I worked on the wiring for the Flight Deck and I think I found and repaired a short in the wiring -- the computer from the tandem works in the mount now. So, since I use the same size wheels/tires I should have a better estimate of speed/distance from the Flight Deck data and the Garmin will provide the heart rate information.

Raffi: are you interested in another cadence/speed sensor? I've given up on making that work and it is sitting on my work bench in the garage gathering dust.

raffi

Raffi: are you interested in another cadence/speed sensor? I've given up on making that work and it is sitting on my work bench in the garage gathering dust.

Too bad that this was not a week or so ago, now that both my cadence/speed sensors are hooked up, I don't need it. I'm glad you found a way to get your data.

Ronin

Everyone:

Completed stage 7 and the realization that this kind of ecercise is more of a mental effort than a physical effort has come back. I go through this every year. As the hour ticks off, despite the mind-games I play with myself, I find that my brain is screaming: "Stop this already!" I fear this is going to be another long winter.

raffi

I know what you mean about fighting your brain. I have no trouble pushing up a steep gravel hill, but trying to push to the same heart rate on the exercise bike is way harder.

At 25 degrees and foggy, I wimped out on a bike ride and did my time on the exercise bike. At least this year I'm getting enough outside rides in that the exercise bike still can be fun (at least when compared with freezing fog :))

Peter_V
Mine would be less than 16.5, but the "not-good-for-biking" is along a highway with not enough shoulder and too much traffic. The route I'm taking is back roads and gravel, much more to my liking.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. My commute (~15 miles each way) is almost entirely on roads with 3-10 foot shoulders, or with a bike lane. One section about 2 miles long has both a bike lane and a shared use path off the road.

It's not until I get on to Ft Huachuca that the roads have no shoulder at all, but that is only about 1.5 miles that I'm riding in traffic. Even that part is not to bad, going to work the traffic is usually pretty slow because they are lining up to go through the ID check and going home it's slightly down hill so I'm usually doing 30-35mph.

Peter_V
Everyone:

Completed stage 7 and the realization that this kind of ecercise is more of a mental effort than a physical effort has come back. I go through this every year. As the hour ticks off, despite the mind-games I play with myself, I find that my brain is screaming: "Stop this already!" I fear this is going to be another long winter.

Yeah I hate riding on stationary bikes. I usually have a hard time sticking to anything over 30 minutes. I can manage a full hour, but I really don't like it.

Fortunately here is Southern AZ I can ride outside almost year round (I draw the line when the temps drop below freezing)

philipabraham
Hidden

Hello....good one.Thanks for sharing the information here.Keep it up.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Stage 8 -- blowing off steam. I had not planned on a roller session today, largely because we had a very busy day, that got complicated. The complications started when my debit-card started getting rejected and i could not understand why. After a very long wait on hold with the customer service person at the brokerage house and a long littany of security questions I discovered that my "Financial Advisor" or his assistant screwed up a simple transaction that was to close an old account with a small amout of cash and securities and roll them into the larger account. That was accomplised but during the process that moved the cash and securities they closed the debit-card, checking account, and bill payment account. Needless to say I was really-really-really angry!

An hour on the rollers blew out a lot of the adrenalin and I'm thinking a bit clearer and now I'm determined to do something positive - like move all my assets to a better brokerage account (assuming one exists). The exercise helps as I'd be a screaming banshee otherwise. Not sure if the road beckons tomorrow as the forecast temperatures are only in the mid-30's and that is where riding on the roads ceases to be fun and becomes work.

How is everyone else doing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.