Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2011-12 Tour-de-Garage

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

Yesterday's forecast was wrong because the temperatures never got above 30. While it was a windless day with clear skies there was no way I was venturing out on the roads -- yeah I'm a wimp. Despte being tired from a lack of sleep largely due to the situation I mentioned yesterday I did my hour on the rollers.

I had some "serious cyclists" dismiss rollers as real exercise, but I can attest to the fact that the last minute of each five-minute interval is tough, and they get tougher the closer I get to the 60 minute mark. True, it is nowhere near a full-out road ride, but it is a good hour of hard spinning regarless.

Now it's time for a shower and a light dinner.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Drat! Last night I noticed a slight rawness in my throat, by this morning I knew it wasn't just the dry air. I also have a low-grade fever so the exercise has to stop till the fever goes down. The weird part is that I generally feel fine, execpt for the throat. I'm using my tried-and-true listerine throat spray (old fashioned brown stuff in a spray bottle) that I aim at the back of my throat. Stings like blazes but I have found that it prevents the viral infection from spreading beyond my throat. Oh well, it could be worse.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Back in the garage. Last night we had a really strong storm that dumpped lots of rain on us so there was flooding all over the place and today there were high sustained winds with higher gusts That makes for a good excuse for indoor training.

How is everyone else doing?

raffi

Saw this comic this morning and just had to post it here.

post-28037-13962877984_thumb.gif

I've managed to get out on the road enough this December that the prospect of riding the exercise bike is not that bad and beats the cold and the rain/snow pretty handily.

rwallen

Hi everyone!

I have put over 500 miles on my daughter's exercise bike so far. I can't say I like it but I too am a wimp when it comes to cold weather. It looks like I'll be able to ride outside the next few days. I can't wait until Spring!!

Take care!

Rick

Ronin

Raffi, Rick, et al.,

There is no shame in being a weather-wimp because there is no glory in being cold, wet, and potentially injured for riding your bicycle. Further, nobody is paying you to ride your bike in all sorts and kinds of weather.

As I have often said of indoor training, it is more mental than physically challenging. I have to come up with some kind of mental strategy every year to get to my daily goal. This year it is dividing up gear changes into one-minute intervals going harder in each successive gear for a total of five-minutes then shifting down and doing it all over again for a hour. I've found that the minute goes by just fast enough to keep my attention away from the fact that I'm going nowehere fast and the next thing I realize is that I have finished my hour and 28+ miles to boot.

ORjt

Hi all,

Out twice this week for short rides - ~9 miles each, loops around the neighborhood. Rain, both times, cutting the rides short. Finally have enough good cycling clothes that I at least don't get drenched at the first few rain drops -- but I really don't care to ride in the rain, especially at ~40F (it was actually quite a bit warmer today - nearer 50, but still).

And so otherwise hitting the exercise bike. I've been on vacation this week, so the time factor hasn't been an issue. Weather's looking a bit more promising for the weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

Stay safe out there!

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Second day of the year and it's back to TdG. The temperatures were in the upper 30's but the winds were really strong with gusts in the 40 mph range -- not ideal bicycling weather so, back in the garage. After a few days on the roads it was difficult to keep the concentration necessary to complete the hour without my brain seizing up. I made it though.

If you check the signature block, there is proof that the regular exercise works -- I was rewarded with an excellent A1c reading.

rwallen

Greetings,

So, I don't know which thread to post this to. :) I finally did an accurate total of my miles to date. Since the middle of April I have logged 2300 miles on my bike and 719.4 on my daughter's stationary bike. My bike computer actually read 2299 but I know there was a short time that I rode my, at that time, new bike before I was able to move the computer to it. So, I rounded up 1 mile. :)

raffi

Snow and cold has had me on the exercise bike this week. Last night, I was definitely going nowhere fast. Probably the best workout I've had on the indoor bike in quite a while.

Gordonm

My first indoor ride was this morning. Cold and very windy out so I rode the trainer for an hour. It is a good workout if done right.

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

Good for you Gordon! As a fellow NJ resident my ride was also indoors because, outdoor temperatures are in the 20's with high winds and gusts up to 35 mph. This is a day to be indoors so I've added another stage to the TdG. The next few days don't look any more outdoor bicycle friendly. Managed a good average heart rate of 147 peaking at 159. So far no snow.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Baby it's cold outside! Temperatures in the mid-teens and a brisk wind. A great day to be indoors. I had a good snappy roller session (driven in part by a disagreement that happened earlier in the morning that still has me stewing so I had lots of energy to dump). I managed to get beyond the 28 miles in an hour by nearly a mile!

After a shower we'll be watching the preview of the Tour down Under on NBC Sports. I also am watching a PBS "Great Performances" called "Let me down easy" that discusses health and the actress (it is a one woman show) does have a section on athletes, health, and life. On of the people portrayed is Lance Armstrong -- quite interesting. There was a point made about the fact that these people are boundless energy and absolutely no fears. So it is really silly to warn them about the "dangers" when they are willing to bomb down the sides of mountains at over 60 mph knowing that one slight mistake can kill them.

How is everyone else?

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Bouncing between threads and trying to keep them straight. Completed the 19th stage of this season's Tour-de-Garage. The winds kept me indoors today as the gusts approached 50 mph according to the local airport (listed on NOAA). Tomorrow is a busy day with Linda's charity work so it will be a "rest day." The forecast for the weekend includes the "S-word." Keep doing.

JT - I do my rollers in the garage where there is no heat and I do have a fan to move the cold air around. How do you manage to ride in the living room and not create a large puddle under the bike? I do an hour and by that time I'm dripping in a garage that is about 40 degrees.

ORjt

Hi Ronin,

We live in a somewhat drafty farmhouse, (ca 1950's) - we tend to keep the heat turned low, and dress appropriately in the winter. I think we have the thermostat set for 63; the house is a bit warmer than that, but still you'll find us lounging in sweats and/or a sweater in the winter.

Even with that, I've got to have a fan blowing on me to keep air moving, and I've got a hard rubber mat under the exercise bike to keep sweat off the floor. I've characterized some of the canned workouts as "sweat like a pig" though, (~45 minutes is about the max for me)

Based on my foggy recollection - rollers are a harder workout than the recumbent exercise bike; I find it hard to get my HR above 120. In real-bike-land, that HR is cruising/recovery, I try to keep 135-145 as my working HR for long portions of a ride. Still, it's a whole lot better than nothing ...

-JT

Ronin

JT, at al.,

I've been reading about the weather in your area -- nasty stuff. Stay safe.

Are rollers harder? It all depends on how you do them. Like when I'm on the roads, I ride hard and the hour of roller training for me is 12 five-minute interval sessions starting at about 25 mph (52x17) and the final minute around 33 mph (52x11). By the time I'm finishing the last interval my legs are screaming and my heart rate is over 160 bpm and I'm soaked (I wear a thin short sleeve base layer with a LL Bean XC-ski base layer over that and bib shorts). I generally raise the temperature in the garage by four to six degrees in the hour. I prefer rollers because I have to balance and pay attention as opposed to resistance trainers which require more effort but do not require balance. All of the indoor methods are boring beyond most people's immagination.

However, the key to any exercise is doing something that you like suffiiently to do it ever day because you like it.

FWIW: Today is a rest day.

ORjt

Ronin

We got lucky with the weather - we're just south enough of the system to have only gotten brief snow, but now lots of rain. I'm sure that'll lead to some level of flooding. It sounded like we were going to get wind, as well - but thankfully that never materialized. It's been an odd winter, it's been uncharacteriscally dry up till now.

Re: indoor exercise - you're spot on. The recumbent bike for me is "doable", if not optimal. Last winter, almost zero exercise for me, and that turned out badly. Roller riding is, I think, both an art and a skill ... it does do wonders for balance and smoothness. Maybe next winter I'll resurrect my set just for something different to do ... hopefully the bearings aren't shot.

--JT

(who spent another 45 minutes on the exercise bike last night. Conflicts tonight, so rest night, as well)

raffi

I was back on the exercise bike again today. Last Saturday, I got a good ride in, that night the snow started. By the time it was done on Thursday, we had a couple of feet of it. I traded in my bike for skis and and had a pretty good time of it until today. Today things have warmed up and the wind has started. The snow is no good for skiing and there's still too much of it to ride (though I did think long and hard about it). So the exercise bike it is.

I got a pretty good ride out of it, given how long it took me to loosen up, it was probably time I was pedaling again.

Ronin

Raffi, et al.,

Here in NJ the temperatures dropped below freezing since the snow started on Saturday. We only had about six inches but that is enough to make outdoor bicycling impossible. So I've been back in the garage. I will always admit that it isn't the same as riding the roads but, as Raffi noted, it keeps the muscles working. FWIW: Linda and I don't ski or skate -- we never learned and really don't have a desire to start although many of the members of our tandem club are skiers, skaters, and snowshoe athletes in the winter. At this time of year -- I'll take a good book and Molly (our cat) in my lap.

I have the feeling that we won't be venturing out the front door till mid-day tomorrow as freezing rain is predicted through the night and then temperatures will rise into the 40's. However, tomorrow's commuter time is going to be very dangerous indeed. I'm glad we're retired -- doubly glad when we get this kind of weather.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

The weather contantly changes. We have a rain system coming from the South-West that is brining both rain and warmer weather right after a good snow. That translates into fog and lots of wet roads as the snow melts. So, I'm still in the garage spinning out the miles. Today I had the pleasure of a good selection of classical music from WQXR (the only local classical station) that helped me keep the pace up for the full hour. Needless to say, my legs are singing. But I'm maintaining my weight so far although I did have to cut down on food. I have noticed that when I skip supper the next morning I get slammed with a strong dawn-effect that drives up my FBG.

Oh yeah, for anyone who uses the TrueTrack meters that CVS sells, the strips are on sale at $32/100 strips -- I bought a bunch because they are usually $20 more/100.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

We had snow, then we had rain, then a few nice days, and then it really rained. The Nor'Easter brought in warmer temperatures and lots of rain along with high winds so I was stuck with yet-another stage of the TdG today (Friday 27 Jan). The winds are drying the roads now that the storm has passed so tomorrow may well find Team Wells out on the tandem!

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Today was another really windy day with strong gusts so it was another TdG day. This was the fourth day in a row of either indoor or outdoor riding and my legs really felt it in the last five-minute interval. Of late the riding has rewarded me with post-exercise BG's in the 80's -- that is nice. Tomorrow promises to be less windy with temperatures in the high 40's so the tandem may get out again.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Today was doubly frustrating. Not only is it raining, but I get on the rollers and then the pedaling gets harder and harder to the point where I'm wondering what is wrong with me and I finally stop and look down -- the rear tire is almost flat. I'm 25 minutes into an hour workout, dripping sweat in a 40-degree garage and I cannot change the tire the way I am without getting chilled to the bone. So I have to end the roller session early and then fix the flat. Sheesh! FWIW: I did pump up the tires before I started. Oh well 25 minutes is better than nothing and the resistance really drove up my heart rate.

Tomorrow promises to be an excellent day for outdoor riding so we may be on the tandem tomorrow. We'll see when tomorrow gets here.

raffi

Lots of snow, then I got a cold, now more snow. So I'm back to the exercise bike. I'm glad for the moisture, things were looking pretty dry earlier. Hopefully riding weather will be back soon.

rwallen

raffi and Ronin,

Been logging most of my miles so far this year indoors, all but 6 days worth. However, I was able to get out yesterday. It was chilly but I was dressed for it. I must say that it was truly enjoyable and much needed. It wasn't the same as a 70 degree day but much better than riding indoors.

Stay safe........and warm!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.