Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2011-12 Tour-de-Garage

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

Outdoors beats indoors all the time but we do what we have to do to stay in shape. I've been posting more on the outdoor thread because the weather has been cooperative.

ORjt

And do what we must, we do :)

Weather here has been too crappy/wet/unpredictable to get outdoors since the previous weekend. Weekday rides are extremely unlikely till DST (though I'm sorely tempted to take off early from work today - it's gorgeously clear, though cold).

So - I've been hitting the torture machine, enough days to keep Mr Pancreas relatively happy.

Hope y'all are doing well, it'll be spring soon enough.

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

The word for today is: "Frustration." Until today the local weather has been great for outdoors, but today it turned ugly -- cold and rainy. My big problem is that my CD player is FUBAR and the local classical staion is doing their Pledge Break. The thought of trying rollers through the pledge breaks is unthinkable. So, today is a rest-day with hopes to have better weather tomorrow.

Ronin

Hi Everyone:

I managed to do it! Pehaps it was simply the need for getting on a bike and pedaling, maybe it was the inspiration from the HbA1c test I did this morning (see signature block), or maybe it was just the lousy rainy and raw day that said I had to do something - anything!

I did my hour on the rollers and it has been a while since the last roller session with lots of road miles in between stages of the TdG. I was really going fast and well ahead of my target at 45 minutes. Then I started to feel the lactic acid build up and burn. My pace slowed a bit, but I powered thorugh the full hour doing all the one-minute interval changes. I feel better now that it is over. Unfortunately tomorrow doesn't look much better than today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

raffi

The weather around here is convinced that it is still winter, every time I think things are going to clear up enough for a ride, we get another storm. At least I have the exercise bike to keep me going.

Today, I was convinced that despite skiing and at least a few turns on the exercise bike, I was falling apart. I simply could not keep up a good pace and was breathing very hard at a just below my normal cadence. That's when I noticed that one of the kids adjusted the tension on the bike. Setting it back to where I usually had it brought everything else back to where it needed to be as well. Since I still have some young ones in the house, I need to remember to check that before I ride.

ORjt

Our weather doesn't know what to think. We had snow Wed/Thurs - enough to look nice, and stick to the lawns and stuff, but not enough to impact driving. Sunday is supposed to be near 60!

I had a good February - about 150 road miles, and about 100 on the exercise bike; our first (of about 20) Tour de Cure training rides kicks off on Saturday with a nice (but short) ride along Portland's waterfront. It'll probably rain a bit, but that's ok, looking forward to this, and I should be able to get out for a nice ride on Sunday.

Ronin: Nice work on the A1C -- the exercise really pays off, doesn't it ...

Keep up the good work, everyone!

--JT

Ronin

JT, et al.,

The weather is a whole different subject, but I will admit that this is an unusual season. To the question about exercise working - yeah it does and the tests prove it. For the lurkers out there -- find some form of activity that you like and do lots of it and you will get the results. The regulars here love riding our bicycles. I don't have to drag myself out to ride (okay indoor cycling does take a bit more fortitude) and I always feel better for having done it.

rwallen

ORjt,

Congrats on riding the Tour de Cure. I have signed up for it as well and have formed a team. We'll see how that goes. :) Interesting enough, I finish a 5 day, 230 mile ride on the Katy Trail that Friday and then ride the 64 mile route on the TdC that Saturday. However, I think it will be fine.

Take care!

graham44

Cold, rainy, spring day. My ironman training calls for a 4 hr ride today...just finished 4 insanely boring hrs on the trainer ...someone shoot me if i have to do this again next weekend :mad:

raffi

64 degrees yesterday, several inches of snow today :mad:

I think the frustration with the weather was put into the exercise bike. I did the hardest workout (by calories) that I've ever recorded for the time I was on it. Felt almost as good as getting in a mediocre ride. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.