Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xMenace

Dr Stephen Phinney - video

xMenace

What do you need to know to successfully eat low carb for life?

Dr Stephen Phinney, MD, PhD, knows more about this than almost anybody. He has researched adaptation to very low carb diets (and exercise) for a long time. Here he shares this knowledge, as well as insights from traditional cultures who never ever ate a lot of carbs.

shyam

Thanks for the post. Would have loved to hear his thoughts on cholesterol levels with LC/HF. It would have helped clear a lot of the stigma.

xMenace
Thanks for the post. Would have loved to hear his thoughts on cholesterol levels with LC/HF. It would have helped clear a lot of the stigma.

He did suggest that fat does not accumulate when it's the primary fuel source. It makes sense, but that's the problem with such statements - they're not science. The whole cholesterol hypothesis and guidelines are not science; they're guesses,

Gladtobehere

Yes, thanks for the video. I think, this is similar to the paleo diet stuff, and "In defense of food" thinking. Modern diseases are the result our modern diet and life style.

Of course if you spent half your day trotting across the frozen wastes, you gotta wonder if simple " survival of the fittest" comes into play?

"cholesterol"? There is still no proof that cholesterol causes heart disease. It is just as likely that heart disease causes, cholesterol. Besides, I am quite sure that "Elk" does not contain trans fat. Seal......Maybe :)

Seriously. a thought provoking topic and video!

xMenace
I don't see a link. Am I missing it? Where is the video located? Thanks

It's a youtube embedded object. Do you have Flash installed?

PINK

This was very thought provoking XMenace. Thanks for this video.

I've allowed excessive protein to become a metabolic impediment per this video and I am not sure how to eat the higher fat, moderate protein and super low carbs (under 50 a day) and FEEL GOOD enough to exercise a lot (1-2 hrs) every day. He says it takes 4-6 weeks to get there and then stay 'at the top of the sand pile'.

I feel lousy with that few carbs every day. I cannot keep my exercise up and will regularly wipe-out physically. I also start to feel ill. Maybe that's due to excessive protein?

I have hit a plateau with my weight and I am tiny at 5' 2" so I can not have that many calories a day. 1,200 is about right but then I have no juice (energy) for working out.

Frustrated here ......... I want to drop 20 lbs. I am ready to make another change and want to know it really works for others before I tax myself with another big dietary change.

Pink

Daytona
This was very thought provoking XMenace. Thanks for this video.

I've allowed excessive protein to become a metabolic impediment per this video and I am not sure how to eat the higher fat, moderate protein and super low carbs (under 50 a day) and FEEL GOOD enough to exercise a lot (1-2 hrs) every day. He says it takes 4-6 weeks to get there and then stay 'at the top of the sand pile'.

I feel lousy with that few carbs every day. I cannot keep my exercise up and will regularly wipe-out physically. I also start to feel ill. Maybe that's due to excessive protein?

I have hit a plateau with my weight and I am tiny at 5' 2" so I can not have that many calories a day. 1,200 is about right but then I have no juice (energy) for working out.

Frustrated here ......... I want to drop 20 lbs. I am ready to make another change and want to know it really works for others before I tax myself with another big dietary change.

Pink

Pink, I don't know why some people quickly get into the swing of ketosis and feel great while others take much longer or never get there. It's real and I am not a fan of the common response "you must not being doing it right". :T If you are interested in trying again, here's some thoughts that you may find helpful.

Have you figured out how much protein a day you need? As Phinney (and the Eades, Vernon, etc) have all said, it should not be based on percentage of food intake and instead is a hard # calculated from your lean body mass. It's usually .8g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass but can be between .5g and 1g depending on preference and activity level.

Here's an example that shows how to figure it out:

Sue weights 191 lbs.

Her body fat % is 40%.

That makes her lean body mass 114 lbs (191 * .6)

Based on her activity level (low) she needs about 91g / day (114 * .8).

Spreading out the protein across the day helps prevent gluconeogenesis and ensure the protein is used to rebuild muscle/organs/bones instead. I suggest that you run the math on some sample meals you eat now and what you tried when doing LCHF. Were you getting the right amount of protein in both? Or maybe right now you are at the low end of the range and feel great but when you tried LCHF it was too high for your body?

I'm also trying to lose weight. I am 5'8" and am eating 1200 cal/day, 100g protein, <50g carbs. The only reason I don't feel horrible is because my body is ketoadapted and I'm making up the calorie deficit with my fat stores. It was a rocky start but once I got to the right place, I had much more energy and no longer bonk or get run down in the middle of the day or post workout.

Granted I have also changed my idea of how much exercise I should get. I used to be in the 1 hour a day camp, 7x a week, mostly cardio. Now I do 30 minutes of resistance training 2-3x a week. Unlike the cardio, it's preventing me from losing lean body mass while losing weight. Plus I have measurably gained strength, moving up in how much weight I can handle (e.g. 1 lbs to 10lbs).

One issue with certain types of exercise vs others when you are ketoadapted is that some exercises work well with fat burning and others rely heavily on glycolytic pathways, using up your stored glycogen very quickly. I have often heard from Robb Wolf that if you do the latter type of exercise you will have to increase your carb intake to keep your glycogen stores topped off and avoid running into issues. I don't know what kind of exercise you do, but this may be an explanation for why you are naturally seeking a higher carb amount?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.