Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJB82

Mettformin vs. Januvia

JJB82

The first article I read was about Januvia and all of its complications. I'm on Januvia. But first my doctor tried Mettformin. And let me tell you I had the worst side effects ever with a drug. I missed work because of the side effects. Now I miss enough work do to being sick I cant afford missing it cause my meds are making me throw up among other things.

My question here is could I be started on a lower dose of Mettformin and work my way up to the level where my body can tolerate it? Ive heard that the side effects wear off after a month...is that true? I'm just nervouse cause I don't really want to go back on it because I remember what happened before and I really (really) don't want to experience that again. But after reading the info about Januvia I'm not so sure I want to be on it either. A catch 20/22.

Ugh

Jj

davef

It's very common for people to be started on a low dose of metformin and increase it over time. There is also an XR version of metformin which many find easier to handle. I was on Glucophage, non generic metformin, for 4 years and I've seen it said that some people find it easier to handle Glucophage. Talk to your Doc about options. I'm not on Janumet and it's doing no better than Glucophage was, I'll be talking to doctor about a next step soon

aggie168

Hello JJ, welcome to DF.

You will find that majority of people here can tolerate Metformin, you also will find some can not. I am one of the them. Do not know better and follow doctor's order for many years. Once the light bulb "turns on". I drop it like a rock. Never look back and no more Metformin Moments.

If you still like to try, start slow and build it up. Also different brand may have different side effect. :)

sweetstar
It's very common for people to be started on a low dose of metformin and increase it over time. There is also an XR version of metformin which many find easier to handle. I was on Glucophage, non generic metformin, for 4 years and I've seen it said that some people find it easier to handle Glucophage. Talk to your Doc about options. I'm not on Janumet and it's doing no better than Glucophage was, I'll be talking to doctor about a next step soon

I know this is an old thread.

There has been some discussion about Januvia recently. I am trying to come off of it. I see from your signature that you no longer take it. When you came off did you have any immediate side affects. I am experiencing some lower than normal for me BG readings and feeling those lows.

I also don't feel januvia is any better for me than met alone, thus doctor agreed to let me come off for awhile.

Just curious about your experience. Thanks.

davef
I know this is an old thread.

There has been some discussion about Januvia recently. I am trying to come off of it. I see from your signature that you no longer take it. When you came off did you have any immediate side affects. I am experiencing some lower than normal for me BG readings and feeling those lows.

I also don't feel januvia is any better for me than met alone, thus doctor agreed to let me come off for awhile.

Just curious about your experience. Thanks.

I was on Janumet for about 6 months, suffered horrible side effects, when I came off it I started on Victoza and went back on Glucophage (Metformin). The only thing that I found was that the side effects I had suffered (fatigue, nightmares, insomnia & feeling down) went away fairly quickly, with the addition of the Victoza my numbers started coming down too.

sweetstar
I was on Janumet for about 6 months, suffered horrible side effects, when I came off it I started on Victoza and went back on Glucophage (Metformin). The only thing that I found was that the side effects I had suffered (fatigue, nightmares, insomnia & feeling down) went away fairly quickly, with the addition of the Victoza my numbers started coming down too.

Dave, I think I am having some of the same changes. I have had some crazy dreams and I have felt tired at times, no energy.

My numbers seem better already but I am not counting on it lasting.

Thanks for your response.

freemanp63

This is my first posting on this site. I joined because of all the media attention to Januvia. I've been on it for 2 years without a problem and my A1C 20 days ago was 5.7 (I celebrated!). I am a Type 2 diabetic who is underweight with a family history of Type 2. My doctor has agreed that I can come off Januvia if I am worried about the potential side effects. I'm wondering how difficult metformin is to take? I have GERD and associated stomach issues. I would appreciate some feedback about metformin (extended release?) and whether to ask for glucophage by name instead (assuming that is what I am given in place of Januvia). Thanks for the advice.

Hooterville

freemanp63, I love Metformin. It's effective and a tried and true oldie but goodie drug.

Why Extended Release? Have you tried regular and had problems?

Long story short. I started on regular Met, switched to Met ER, 2,000 mg. then swithched back to regular Met, 2,550 mg. My advice is to titrate up slowly to avoid gastric issues. Start at 500, mg. and add 500 as your doc sees fit to get you to the dose you need to be at. Avoiding excess carbohydrates seems to help with gastric problems.

I had this idea in my head (Richard Bernstein - "Diabetes Solution" recommends it) that I wanted brand name Glucophage. My doc warned me it would be expensive. Umm, it was. I didn't pursue it with my insurance and just caved in and got the generic Met.

freemanp63

thank you for the quick reply! Nervous as all heck to start a new med after doing well on Januvia (A1c down from high of 6.5 to alot of 6.1, 6.2 6.0 and now 5.7). It's the only drug I've been on. I've been pre diabetic for years - I eat well (good carbs), exercise 3-4 times per week at the gym. But I've become more and more nervous about Januvia. Will learn this week what my doc has planned to replace it. Will talk about the ER and the regular if he suggests metformin.

davef
Dave, I think I am having some of the same changes. I have had some crazy dreams and I have felt tired at times, no energy.

My numbers seem better already but I am not counting on it lasting.

Thanks for your response.

I hope it works out for you and that the dreams etc. go away, if not then talk to your Doc.

PATRIC

Freeman I confused with your post about being prediabetic with A1cs in pure Diabetic ranges ??? Am I misreading or what ? And taking meds ?

Anyway my experience with Met has been for the most part positive. After dropping my A1c to 5.7 from 8.8 in 7 months with only dietary changes, I volunteered to take Met to get my BS even lower to help my foot neuropathy. Doc was tickled to finally get me to take a Pill of any kind. Doc told me at 4 months to get my FBG below 150 and by 7 months I was right at that and 5.7A1c. He started me at 1x500 Met and was supposed to go back in 3 months. After taking 500 daily for 3 weeks and only dropping 6-7 points in FBG I upped the dose to 2x500. Another 6-7 points down....upped to 3x500...down another 6-7points finally upped to 4x500 and saw my total drop down to about 115-120 consistently without really changing the way I was eating. Of course my eating changed alot in the first 4 months after DX .

Now here`s the glitch.....when My first RX for regular Met was filled by my Pharmacist....he apparently gave me Extended Release instead of regular Met. I didn`t know the difference since it was my first RX. After using up my first 2 months worth in about a month a friend who is a Novo rep gave a couple of large bottle of 500 Met XR and it was the same size as the original RX from the Pharmacy. All Symtoms Ok ...no stomach probs at all for the first 3-4 months. After the freebies ran out I went back to Pharmacy and got a refill. Well surpise ...instead of the normal large oval shaped pills like I had been taking all along ...I get a pill that looks like a normal size round aspirin. I query the Pharmacist and he says it`s the right pill per the prescription. I just took them home rather than argue about what he gave me originally. Didn`t take but a couple of days to detect that they were different from what I had been taking all along. I learned real quick not to trust what I thought was a poot !! While the changes weren`t drastic it was clear that the Extended Release is what I wanted. I will make sure that the Doc give me a RX for XR when he writes the new one. I like my Pharmacist...he always takes time to talk to me and he must know his job pretty well......But I wonder who dresses him in the morning sometimes...

I read up a little about the Januvia as maybe a more effective drug but decided against it. Since I am never low BG the Met seems to be the least damaging option for me.

jwags

I do the generic met, too and do the maximum 2550 mg. It works pretty good mostly but I still need a very low carb diet to keep my bgs good. I tend to have an overactive liver, so my stress hormones kick in big time especially when I exercise or when I am sick. I have avoided meds like januvia because I have a wonky immune system. Recently the FDA has begun an i vestigstion into it and other similar drugs due to Pancreatic and throid cancer.

freemanp63

Since my A1C's have been good over the last 6-8 months, my doctor now says I am "pre diabetic". And yes, I have been on Januvia for two years after many years of rising A1C's. I am now off Januvia for the last few days and waiting to talk to my doctor about what to do next. I am very compliant with diet and exercise but have a family history of diabetes. I am experiencing some nightmares and stomach issues during my wash out from januvia (not sure that is the cause). Joined here to learn more about what my Dr. might recommend next. I wanted to stop the Januvia because of all the latest reports of cancer and pancreatitis in the news.

Freeman I confused with your post about being prediabetic with A1cs in pure Diabetic ranges ??? Am I misreading or what ? And taking meds ?

Anyway my experience with Met has been for the most part positive. After dropping my A1c to 5.7 from 8.8 in 7 months with only dietary changes, I volunteered to take Met to get my BS even lower to help my foot neuropathy. Doc was tickled to finally get me to take a Pill of any kind. Doc told me at 4 months to get my FBG below 150 and by 7 months I was right at that and 5.7A1c. He started me at 1x500 Met and was supposed to go back in 3 months. After taking 500 daily for 3 weeks and only dropping 6-7 points in FBG I upped the dose to 2x500. Another 6-7 points down....upped to 3x500...down another 6-7points finally upped to 4x500 and saw my total drop down to about 115-120 consistently without really changing the way I was eating. Of course my eating changed alot in the first 4 months after DX .

Now here`s the glitch.....when My first RX for regular Met was filled by my Pharmacist....he apparently gave me Extended Release instead of regular Met. I didn`t know the difference since it was my first RX. After using up my first 2 months worth in about a month a friend who is a Novo rep gave a couple of large bottle of 500 Met XR and it was the same size as the original RX from the Pharmacy. All Symtoms Ok ...no stomach probs at all for the first 3-4 months. After the freebies ran out I went back to Pharmacy and got a refill. Well surpise ...instead of the normal large oval shaped pills like I had been taking all along ...I get a pill that looks like a normal size round aspirin. I query the Pharmacist and he says it`s the right pill per the prescription. I just took them home rather than argue about what he gave me originally. Didn`t take but a couple of days to detect that they were different from what I had been taking all along. I learned real quick not to trust what I thought was a poot !! While the changes weren`t drastic it was clear that the Extended Release is what I wanted. I will make sure that the Doc give me a RX for XR when he writes the new one. I like my Pharmacist...he always takes time to talk to me and he must know his job pretty well......But I wonder who dresses him in the morning sometimes...

I read up a little about the Januvia as maybe a more effective drug but decided against it. Since I am never low BG the Met seems to be the least damaging option for me.

PATRIC

WELL I must be pre diabetic too then...my A1c have been in the 5s since 4months after DX from 8.8 ....no meds. Although the numbers say that I don`t think we ever go back to not Diabetic. I may be wrong though. You also acheved those number with a drug helping so..... If your #s don`t go back up then maybe....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.