Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SilverTiger

When do you take Metformin? Metformin XR?

SilverTiger

My doc has me on 500mg of Metformin at supper. I find it hard to remember to take the meds then, and when eating out with friends it can be even harder to remember.

If you're on Metformin XR, do you take it in the morning? I'd do much better if I could just take it in the AM with other pills.

CNF

Hello SilverTiger,

My doc has me on 500mg of Metformin at supper. I find it hard to remember to take the meds then, and when eating out with friends it can be even harder to remember.

If you're on Metformin XR, do you take it in the morning? I'd do much better if I could just take it in the AM with other pills.

Can you set up an appointment reminder on your cell phone ( assuming of course you have one )? Or an alarm clock in your home to help remind you?

I wonder if your doc wants you to take the pill with dinner because for most people dinner is the biggest meal of the day and the Metformin would do the most good for you at dinner time?

jwags

I take the regular version and my doctor told me it didn't matter when I take it because it accumulates in your system. Since the XR is time released as long as you take it consistently at the same time, you should be OK. I think the reason they recommend it at dinner is to reduce GI side effects. I take mine 3 times a day. Once when I get up around 6:30 am, once around 9:30-10 am and the last one right before bed. I find that gives me the best coverage , I never take it at meals.

JAH

I take metformin 500 xl morning and evening. I asked my dr. since it is XL if I could take it all at dinner time, the best time for me to remember to take it, and he said NO. He wanted the dose spread between morning and evening. Hope this helps.

CRHnATL

My doctor prescribed me Metformin 500mg twice a day. The pharmacist said the most important thing is to take it at the same times everyday.

Cormac_Doyle

because metformin only slowly builds up in your body (and then is eliminated slowly also), what you will find is that the exact timing of the meds is not very important.

Before now, I have taken the Met at 11pm (I normally take them at 9am) ... what I will notice is that on the day I miss the tablet (or take it very late), I will NOT notice a difference ... but the day AFTERWARDS, my BGs will be higher ... starting with a horribly high waking dose (as my liver does the mother of all liver dumps ... because the level of Glucophage/metformin in my blood is not enough to stop it).

If you are on the ER or XR (extended release) formulations, timining may be more sensitive.

In general - do try to take the tablet when it is due ... but if you realise you missed it, just take it as soon as you remember.

One point - many people find that Met causes stomach distress ... if you normally take it with food, you may want to wait for your next meal before taking the "missed" dose!.

ORjt

Metformin timed release. I take mine in the evening. I've found it's critically important to take it at the end of my meal - to minimize the GI distress. If I do that, no issues ..

--JT

BIGJEFF64

i take met in the morning on my way out to work and then usually before my dinner but on nites like tonite ill be taking it after wards

Hooterville

Do you have high morning fasting numbers? If so, this may be why your doctor has asked you to take your Metformin with your evening meal, because the timing may help with your morning numbers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.